main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    [image=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10019]
    [image=http://www.episode-x.com/episode2/gallery/img/oswfc25/oswm6.jpg]

New pics [face_clown]

2. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Well that answers my question about using resin...

:(

My posts are like imaginary friends... Anywhere I go it seems...

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    niennumb1, if I knew anything about resin I'd try to answer your question for you. :) But, I don't....

Here's a huge picture of Padme and Ani though:

hugepic

4. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Ok, resin.

I have lots of experience working with the stuff, from casting to cleaning to painting. Resin is definitely a bad idea for clothing. Unless it's hollow cast (you need a rotocaster to hollow cast resin), it's extremely heavy. It's also pretty fragile. If you drop it on a hard surface, hit it with something, etc, it'll break. It's also not very easy to cast. You'd need to make a mold, etc.

Does that help?

5. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    OOOOHHHH

Resin: Great for models that will sit carefully and safely on a shelf.

Bad for props and costuming. At the St. Patricks Day Parade here in Atlanta this year one of the Klingons with the KAG group had a nice distruptor ray made of resin. It was accidently dropped on the ground and it complete shattered.

~Caleigh

6. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    okay my computer was being wierd.

7. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    And I ended up triple posting.

My I feel stupid...

~Caleigh

8. sabe-oola

sabe-oola Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    thanks for the tip guys.....I think that gift box idea just might work.................. :D

9. sabe-oola

sabe-oola Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    that is weird......my computer made me post twice ................maybe it's this particular thread...i dunno..

10. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    What materials would work well for this application then? parts, glue and praying???

ALSO WONDERFUL PIC of Padme's top! Probably the most detailed I've seen yet!

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I haven't thought this completely through, but maybe some sort of foam??

12. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    If it's for the boots, bad idea. You feet deserve a comfortable shell. Better to use commercially available ankel boot or get a comfortable shoes and add on some leather/felt of same color to make it look like an ankel high boots. My boots, although cheap is still very tight when I put it on and still being broken down. But after a while, it became so comfortable that I can easily run in it! :)

If it's for the shin guard, still a bad idea. How about using a commercially available shin guard like someone here did? Or how about a plastic/PVC pipe with the slits cut for you by someone. Or Sintra or ABS seems good if you can get them easily. I'm between using a commercially available ones and PVC pipe now. Remember that the shin guard must only cover the FRONT of the leg (aka the shin). Underneath the shin guard is a piece of White Leather or Vinyl/Faux Leather which also cover the top part of the boots.

Anyhow, good luck and be sure to post your pictures when the costume is ready! ;)

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Here are perfect boots for $34 plus shipping!

[image=http://www.gothamshoes.com/images/tupelodrillboots.jpg]

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow! The boots does look great! Can skip that leather/vinyl underlayer behind the shin guard too if using this boots. ;)

Pity I got big shins and wide feet so buying non-standard size shoes is always a dread for me. :(

On a side note, I saw a mid-shin high rubber boots at the Market yesterday that I think can pass off as Maul's Boots. Very cheap too at SG$9 (US$5) but I haven't tried it on so not sure if my dreaded shin can fit in.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    That's the best part about the boots I posted above....they zip inconspicuously up the side! Easy to put on!

16. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I am almost done with this costume. It was a last minute one as I realized I would never have time to complete the white desert one.
    I am doing the "torn" version and only have to find boots. I have tan boots that match the belt but I don't think they look right. I will "try" to post a picture this weekend with the boots I own and see what you all think. The hardest part so far was trying to sew the bra in to the top. It still needs elastic around the bottom but that will have to wait until Friday.
    I can't wait for the celebration!!

17. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Any suggestions on how to sew the bra in? I'm having "puckering" problems with the elasticity....

18. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    I am using a shelf bra from an old swimsuit. I am having trouble with the bottom elastic. I am trying to run it along the bottom and then leave the rest of the shirt hanging so that I can "rip" it after but I can't get it right. Pucker would be the right word to describe what is happening. I doubled the fabric so that it isn't as sheer as it was originally and I think that is what is giving me the problems.
    Since I need to wear a bra of some sort, my only other option is to wear the ones that have the clear elastic straps. My daughter has one and it should work but that would mean taking out the shelf bra and I don't really want to do that.
    My sister is a costume maker but hasn't had time to help me yet. I am quite sure she can get it right (hence, the wait until Friday when she has time to look at it). I will post more as soon as I can (or should I say 'she' can) get it right.

19. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    What about a nude strapless bra?. You may have to run the elastic in front and back, that may help. I'll have to check some of my shirts that have these and see how they did it.

Checked them and all of them have the bra in the front and back so they don't gather when you wear it.

20. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Eesh, I wish I could just use a shelf bra. I'm too large busted to do so though, I'll be wearin a normal one under my shirt.

~Caleigh

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    How about wearing a Tube Top or one of those "sleeveless, shoulderless and has 2 thin straps on the shoulder to keep the shirt on the body" thinging? I'm wearing it underneath my Leia and Padme Amidala White Suits and it works well. Of course, I'm also wearing a White Bra. ;)

22. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    Here is a link to my finished Padme battle costume. I have no shin guards yet and it looks like I will be going without because I just don't have time to hunt some down.
    Please let me know what you think.
    I really like the belt. We used duck cloth (natural color) & my daughter made two of the pouches while I made the holster. We had a blast doing this costume!!
    My son made the arm bands out of 4x10 alum. sheet metal.
    I ended up using a strapless bra and slashed the back around the back strap. The built in bra just didn't work. I have decided not rip out the right sleeve as my son is pretty sure the metal will make my skin itch so I will just cut it above the elbow and place the metal band on the bottom strip. Once I am ready for the convention I will have my hubby pinch the bands tight so they don't slid so much.

photos

Click on the "star wars" album :)

23. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    ladystar the costume looks great! Thanks so much for posting pics :)

I decided to wait on this one because I went to many, many stores and couldn't find the shirt or the pants - everything was ribbed and had a scooped neck. I was thinking that a dance store might have a white body suit that would work for it, thought it would likely be scooped neck, and would also have the leggings as well. But since I'm already working on one, I think it will have to wait.

24. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow--super job, ladystar! Thank you for sharing your pictures! And I am especially admiring of the belt/holster.....wow.....

25. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks!!:) I am hoping to finish a "regular" top also so I can wear both white outfits at the celebration but I have my Mara Jade costume also and since that one is my favorite, I probably just wait until the premiere for the "regular" top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.