main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    I've also sent my details via e-mail - please let me know if you didn't receive it.

2. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Jocell and Anaria, I did receive your e-mails. Also I did locate some fabulous silk taffeta for the bodice and skirt. I sent a swatch to Kaydee and she thought it was a decent match, although a bit shiny but fairly decent. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail for more details.

3. Nani

Nani Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2007
    Oh please let me know, if you've got my e-mail too. And tell me if anything is missing, I don't know what else you need besides adress. Thanks

4. Sosobiwan

Sosobiwan Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2009
    Finally I sent my e-mail too. Sorry for the delay, I haven't been online for quite a while, due to illness.

5. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    I still have not recieved an invoice????

6. Sosobiwan

Sosobiwan Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2009
    Me neither.

Sosobiwan

7. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    That is b/c I still am trying to coordinate what the customs will be. I know it will not cost much to ship but I need to factor in the customs fees/taxes on the import but I am trying to talk to the Port Authority about that and I have not had much luck.

8. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Thanks for the update, I can't imagine how tricky organising this is..

9. SenatorPadmeSelina

SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2008
    Oh, I am in love with this dress! When I'll have money, I'll necessarily buy a fabric for a coat.
    To tell the truth, I have studied all photos which exist with this gown and have come to a conclusion:
    1) Fabric for coat - It's a silk burn-out velvet, which we already have. It's a great, that we have something original.
    Colour coincides here with it (in my opinion similar to second swatch from left to right):
    [image=http://img.alibaba.com/photo/238611544/solid_silk_velvet_burnout_fabric.jpg]
    2) Fabric for coat lining and inner sleeves of dress - I think, that it's might be silk crinkle taffeta.
    3) Fabric for dress - I think, it can be some sort of silk taffeta. It does not have so much shine and it looks heavy. Possibly, it can be heavy silk taffeta.
    4) Fabric for lining of dress - I think, it's a silk duppioni in some sort of pink colour.

Just this is my imagination of fabrics for this dress.

10. Nani

Nani Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2007
    Any news on the fabric yet? I wonder if my mail has been received.

11. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Any news on this? For those who were in the group order, are you still in?

12. Nani

Nani Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2007
    Well, I'm definitely in. But it's been a while now and I'm not sure if it's still running.

13. Jocell

Jocell Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2008
    Yep I'm still in if it's going ahead.

14. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    If people still want the fabric, they need to email me at princessleia911@gmail.com The fabric is gonna cost over $1000 and I have to pay them in advance. The charge per meter does NOT include shipping as that has to be figured out according to where it is shipping once the fabric is cut.

15. SenatorPadmeSelina

SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2008
    Hey!)

It's me again.I'am still not start to make this dress,because I'am collect fabrics for it.
    I have noticed that the fabric structure on a dress is similar to a fabric structure silk faile.
    Somebody tried it to apply?

I found great photo with silk faile.It's show a texture well:
    [image=http://www.hengjiangsilk.com/uploadimg/20091010171244303.jpg]

What do you think,Lady?

16. padme9055

padme9055 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2010
    I decided recently that I was going to make this dress just because it's SO beautiful and because I've been inspired by one of my composer friends to recreate a movie costume. Right now I can't afford the dress, so I'm looking around and finding out all I can. It's so cool to see everyone's costumes and hear what they are doing.

So what is this about a fabric order?

17. padme9055

padme9055 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2010
    I have a question. I'm trying to figure out how much fabric I would need for the coat and I decided I need the length of my body at least 4 times, maybe 5, depending on how wide the sleeves are.

Now, in my figures, I personally need the skirt to be 35" in diameter, which comes to about 960" in circumference. The sleeves look to be about half that, so that would be 480" with both sleeves combined. So the bell of each sleeve should be about 240" in width. That just seems REALLY large to me. Any tips on how wide the sleeves should be?

18. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I think your math is a wee bit off there. C = Pi x D; Pi is equal to about 3.142 (C=3.142 x 35") C = about 110" - YAY GEOMETRY! I'm a math dork, sorry.

Have you visited the Padawan's Guide site yet?
    http://padawansguide.com/purple.shtml

19. padme9055

padme9055 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2010
    OH! I thought the formula was C=pi r squared. That makes much, much more sense :) . Yes, I've looked over the Padawan's guide page (that's actually where I decided on this dress :) ). It's got so much good information :) .

20. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I had a feeling that's where you got such a high number ;) PG is like the bible for SW costumers :D

21. padme9055

padme9055 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2010
    Indeed :) . It's absolutely awesome! I'm very impressed with all the work that goes into maintaining and producing that site :) .

So, upon redoing my figures, I came up with 110" - skirt circumference, making my sleeve width at the widest point 27.5". With that number, I figure that I need 6 yards of fabric for the coat, 2 for the front of the coat, 2 for the back, and 2 for the sleeves. There will be enough spare fabric between those big pieces for my collar and sleeve caps. This is with the measurement of 60" from my shoulder to the floor. I'm about 5'9".

For the dress, I'm estimating that I'll need about 5 yards total, with a skirt length of 45", 2 yds for the front, 2 yds for the back, 1 yd for the bodice, and 1 yd for the sleeves.

I'm not sure how much lining I will need. Looking at it, I think I'll need at least 2 yds, to line the bodice and the sleeves, but I'm not sure if or how much lining the coat will need. I guess it will depend on if I want to fully line it or not.

22. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    You'll want to buy equal parts lining to velvet. I think if you don't fully line the coat, it won't drape properly. Lining is also great for hiding all the raw seams and giving a finished professional look to any garment ;)

6 yards sounds like a enough for the coat, but be sure to get extra just in case, so 7-8 would probably be ideal on the low end. I've learned this the hard way once before, it's not fun to have to make a fabric run the day before you need the project due. Same goes for the skirt. Don't forget about the tabbard on the skirt as well. I would suggest 6-7 yards on that.

23. padme9055

padme9055 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2010
    I did forget about that tabard on the skirt. That's probably going to be another 2 yards on it's own (haven't done any work on figuring that out). And then I was talking with my mom about the coat and she reminded me that velvet has a nape, so I'm actually going to need another 2 yards for the sleeves, 2 yards for each sleeve, which brings the total yardage for the coat to 8 yds.

Good point about the lining. Since it is a coat, I probably will want it fully lined.

You have a point about getting extra fabric. I will think carefully about how much fabric to get before I get it, to keep in mind the need for extra fabric. On most projects I've done, I haven't needed much extra fabric for big pieces, but smaller pieces like the collar and the caps are probably going to give me trouble.

The biggest thing I have learned with sewing is NEVER rush it. Always take time when you are cutting out the pieces and make sure it's done right. If you rush the cutting out or cut corners there, you are going to be in trouble the rest of the way. And fit, fit, fit :) .

24. padme9055

padme9055 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2010
    More questions :) . After looking closer at the bodice and coat, it looks like the coat has a waist seam. This would make sense, to give the coat the fit it needs to lay against her like that, but my question is that waist seam. How far down the body does it go? Does it rest just above the natural waist? If so, how far down does the bodice come?

25. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Roughly the natural waist is where the seam is. It's not super critical, out of everything on the costume I probably gave the least thought to the placement of the seam and just put it where it needed to be to get the correct fit. The coat is the last thing you'll make (or the headress) so put the muslin mock-ups on over the rest of your costume and just judge by the fit and the reference photos you have of Natalie Portman in the costume :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.