main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Correction to the previous post, I didn't look at the whole drawing, the skirt/blouse/sleeves are all one piece, with a seperate corset on pattern 5843 simplicity
    liannb

2. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Bless Adobe acrobat reader! I looked at that pattern, it's not exact but it's a good imitation.

Thanks, liannb, for sharing the vining tip! Gah, it'd take me forEVER to hand-embroider an entire skirt!

Kate

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, I'd say that new simplicity pattern was inspired by the golden Star Wars Gown! That's gotta be more than a coincidence that they chose to show the costume made out of yellow fabric. (click on the white costume to see the view of the pattern cover) - Check out the ribbon tied all over the arm too! LOL! http://www.simplicity.com/s3index.htm (pattern 5843)

Darn, I had to go and cut out my shirt today :( This new pattern looks better. Maybe it's not to late to modify it.

By the way, I sorta realize that the 'shirt' is connected to the corset - but it helps me to deal with them as two pieces until I figure out how I'm going to tack it together :)

Gee, call me stupid but I never thought of that huge waist band as a yoke! I just made a really huge waist band - LOL! I'm so jealous of all of you who were able to machine stitch your vines. My sewing machine is older than me - my mom got it when she was a teenager in 1963. So, my skirt will go vineless.

As for the green vines on the corset, I think they look like they are sewn with an overdyed floss (two tone) I purchased Anchor floss color # 1216. That's just what the pictures look like to me anyway.

-Kay Dee

4. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    kay_dee,

Yeah, no kidding about the pattern. Actually, if you look at Simplicity's latest Halloween catalogue, you find "Anakin" and "Padme" on the cover--her in the gold dress, of course. And it's also no coincidence that the model looks like Natalie. But whatever guy they found to look like Anakin...I need to find that out... ;-)

-sky

5. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    lol! They hire people for their looks to model those costumes...the lady that's on the Arwen-slash-Galadriel envelope was, I think, hired for her Blanchett-esque hair. Also note the crown worn low on her forehead to simulate the 'browpiece' that Galadriel wore.

On a different note--kay_dee, I'm sure that if you thought it would be a good investment, you could actually buy a rather inexpensive sewing machine. I asked my mother, you can get them for under a hundred dollars for a full-size one with plenty of stitch options. Ours right now was sort of expensive, but it's worth it to have one! :-D

Kate

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Kate - I did think of getting a new sewing machine, but my old one still works so well that it seemed a waste. I think the real problem with trying to top-stitch my skirt is due to the fact that my fabric is crinkled and has a bit of stretch to it. The top stitching just made the fabric lay funny and I had to rip it out. As far as actual embroidery machines go - I think those are quite a bit more than a regular sewing machine. The few that I glanced at were all over $1,000.

Gee, I thought I was so original making a golden padme costume and now it's on the friggin' cover of the Halloween catalogue! Ha ha ha! I think the people at Simplicity had to have done some research - the new pattern is so similar to the dress pattern I think Obi-Dawn and a few others here used. I don't remember, did any of your sites link directly to the Simplicity page with that pattern? Many major web sites use programs that track what page a visitor was at previously for marketing reasons. It almost makes ya wonder... :)

OK, today I will get out last year's Jeannie costume pattern to use as a template for making a YOKE instead of a fat waist band! I still can't believe that went over my head. I've also gotta check out that new simplicity pattern - this is why I always get extra yardage when I buy my fabric :( It's not the cost of the patterns that kills ya, it's all the fabric and ribbon that goes into making this thing!

-Kay Dee

7. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Yes, those embroidery machines cost an arm and a leg. Ouch! They *are* nifty though.

8. Sakura

Sakura Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    Guess what everybody, I found the fabric for the cape that´s already embroidered and it´s almost identical to the one in the movie, it´s even the same color and I also found the fabric for the underdress ¡I´M SO HAPPY!
    jajaja you guys must think I´m crazy but I´m just so surprised that I found the fabrics for the dress so quickly I just checked in one store and I found them, at the cost that I almost drove crazy the asistant who was helping me find the fabric for the dress until I found the right color jejeje, well anyways tell you more later.

9. Sakura

Sakura Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    I almost forgot thanks kay_dee I wasn´t sure if it was a hole dress or a blouse and a skirt but now I can get started, my mom is going to help me and my aunt has the patterns for the corset so it´s all coming to me very easy well I´ll tell you about my progress later.

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Congrats Sakura! Have fun. :)

Hey everyone, I wanted to get an opinion from y'all. I've been working on making a sort of index thread for this huge thread and wanted to know if you guys thought it was a good idea. What I want to do is create a Picnic Dress thread version 2.0. I've been consolidating all of the wonderful info from the 500+ posts in here into one post. It's sort of like an FAQ for this costume. I think it would be easier for newcomers to get a handle on all we've amassed if they can access all the basics in the first post. It includes links to resource pics and sites, links to all the patterns people have suggested, fabric suggestions, tips, embellishments etc. I want to credit all the suggestions with who made them as well if you guys don't mind.
    I've already started working on it, but wanted your input before I actually post it since it would be a new thread. We could just continue our conversation in it, but I'm trying to make sure all the best and most relevant info from everyone in this thread is mentioned and/or linked to in the first page of the new thread.
    What do you guys think? I just think it might be less daunting and easier if people don't have to read 24 pages to find out what patterns we've all used and such. Of course, if you think it's a stinky idea, I won't do it. :p
    Also, I'd love to link to everyone's sites and photos if you don't mind. :D

11. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    I think that sounds like a wonderful idea! It would be convenient for me, too, I know *cough cough* since I haven't even started yet. And just so you know, your site is very helpful, Obi-Dawn!

12. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Obi-Dawn,

Yes, please make one!!!!! :)
    My previous posts have been asking
    for one as I do not have the time.
    Even though I have been around since
    page 8-ish... this thread is wonderfully
    long and sometimes hard to find things
    in.

I will be sure to give you the link to
    my website as soon as it is up.

This will be sooo helpful! Thanks!

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Kate and afaeryschild. I'm working on it. Anyone else have an opinion or suggestions?

afaeryschild, I'd love to link to your wonderful bodice embroidery sketch that is up at Mrs_M's site. Do you mind?

14. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Obi-Dawn,

No, not at all! :)

It has been updated, actually ::blush::
    So that version is a bit old.. but I forgot
    I had a newer version.. so feel free to
    use the one she has or the newer but
    slightly messier one..

I'll clean it up soon and I have one in
    *colour* somewhere.. hmm.. must get
    organized! [face_blush]

the newer one is at
    www.geocities.com/ittybittykittty/picnicbodicesketch.jpg

Thanks for all the work!!!

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the new pic afaeryschild! And, it was your suggestion that made me want to make a version2.0 for this thread. :D
    If enough people think a new consolidated thread is a good idea, I can ask to have this thread closed once the new one is up so that we won't have people posting in two different places. There would be a link to this first thread in the first sentence of the new one, so it could ALWAYS be accessed. Thoughts?

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Its a great idea Obi-Dawn, it'll be much easier to find information. All I remember is page 15 has the high resolution pictures that I am constantly looking at for reference.
    liannb

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Obi-Dawn,

Your consolidation idea sounds like a good one so long as there is a way to prevent people from continuing to post on this thread. That would just get too confusing if there were two threads people were contributing to. I think the last post in this thread should also link to your new thread just in case people stumble onto this old thread first. (You may have already said that, but I can't remember!)

Sakura, I know how exciting it is just to find the right fabric! Gosh, if you found the cape fabric in the correct color WITH embroidery you have hit the jackpot! I had to dye a white embroidered fabric and I'm still not happy with the color. That's why I haven't cut it out yet.

My JoAnn's doesn't have the new Halloween patterns in yet either - Darn!

Time to get back to sewing :)

-Kay Dee

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I Have Another Idea for consolidation:

Obi-Dawn, if they can't close this thread off to anymore replys and keep it readable I have another idea. Keep this thread going, but make a web page that lists all of our ideas. That way when people ask 'how did you all do X' we can refer them to that page.

It's just an alternate solution - the fact that you are willing to put time into consolidating all of the information is wonderful! I just figured you could have a tips page on your web site with all of our ideas and it would provide the same purpose.

-Kay Dee

19. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Obi-Dawn,

I think it's a great idea too. I'd be happy to have my site linked too, for those interested in not completely accurate copies :)

Katherine

20. Catatonic-Van

Catatonic-Van Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    Otakon was such an awful convention! The skit me and my groupies had planned got canceled due to disasters such as 2 members of our skit getting in a car accident, and another getting mugged. And much more. (Baltimore is an evil city)

But really now.. I wore my new shawl with my Amidala costume on Friday at the con, and it was a big success. One of the merchants in the dealers room gave me 50% off a movie poster with the image of Anakin and Amidala in her flower dress, standing back to back.

I also had my love story episode II resembling moment. My pseudo-boyfriend had called me Thursday night and told me all about a mess with his ticket information, and that he wouldn't be going to the con. Apparently things worked out and he got there. So during the early evening on Friday, I was helping two of my friends unload their car in front of the hotel while I was in costume. (It's amazing how well I can get around in my costume) For whatever reason I looked over and I saw him walking up to the hotel in his Prince Ferdinand (this dashing anime character) costume and I literally dropped everything on the ground and ran to hop into his arms. Leaving my roommates very confused, since they were yet to meet him in person. OH WELL. Just thought I'd share my happy moment because I'm actually not allowed to talk to most of my convention friends about it due to it being a secret relationship.. ^^;;

Anyway, earlier while my friend had been helping me tie the ribbons on my arms I was wonder how the rest of you put those ribbons on and keep them from slipping down onto your wrists? I had to sew mine into the middle of the sleeve to keep them up there. Is there a better way to do it?

Okay that's that.

-Van

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Van, I'm glad you had a good time at the convention! I forgot to mention that I thought your photo with the storm trooper posted last week was really funny.

You mentioned a 'new' shawl for you costume. Do you have any photos of it?

-Kay Dee

22. Jenny-LaFleur

Jenny-LaFleur Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I think the idea of a Version 2.0 is good. I like the idea of a site too - like the LOTR Costume Research site (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/). I would be willing to help with that but it is a bit more complicated.
    When I came to this list, there were 12 pages already. It took me two days to read through all the posts. I complied a Word document of all the bits I found interesting and helpful, including the name and date posted. If you would like this, let me know and I'll e-mail it. I also compiled a list of patterns used and suggested, though I don't think it's complete.

Jenny-Rose

23. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    If no one can devote the time and effort that goes into the LotR site (and Cat puts a lot into it, far more than meets the eye), why not something like this: http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/moulinrouge/. It's essentially a link page, organized by what type of link--image site, recreation page, etc. One for this dress could be organized by dress part, with all of the recommendations & information for each item included. (To me, it seems like it would be easier to update, etc.)

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Obi-Dawn, Did you want more information on how some of us are making our dresses. I haven't posted much on mine, in the way of paterns or fabrics etc.
    liannb

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey, if someone wants to make a separate webpage then I say go for it! That would be wonderful. :) I'd just really like to organize the info we already have here and keep it here for right now.

liannb and Jenny-lafluer, I would love to know as much as possible! Thanks.

kay_dee, I've assembled a lot of info from your posts. You don't mind my linking to them, do you? Your pictures with all the notes on them are awesome. And, I would link the consolidated thread in the last post of this thread and have this one closed. This thread would still be available to read through though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.