main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi Ryder,

My robe was a very simple pattern. 2 long/wide strips of the velvet sewn together halfway.
    Like this:

---...............----
    \...\.......... /.../*
    .\...\........./.../*
    ..\...\......./.../*
    ...\...\...../.../
    ....\...\.../.../
    .....\...\./.../
    ......|...|...|
    ......|...|...|
    ......|...|...|
    ......|...|...|
    ......|...|...|*
    ......|...|...|*
    ......|...|...|*
    ...... -------

Once it was stitched like this, I smocked it all, going horizontally across. Next I lined the entire unit. Finally, I folded over an stiched seams at the stars on both sides.

If I did it again, I would make mine wider and the smocks closer together. I did enjoy making it though!
    :)
    ecila

2. East_Coast_Ryder

East_Coast_Ryder Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2005
    Eclia- Thanks again!
    [image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/East_Coast_Ryder/Padme%20costume/nightgown.jpg]

So it was basically like this, with the same colors being sewn together (except the black)? Sorry for bugging you about this, but you seem to be the only one who's done the robe.

~Ryder

3. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Yep, that is pretty much it, and the neck was a natural part of the two fabrics, not cut any less wide than the bottom. I do not have any type of clasp in the front either, I just let it hang down by my shoulders. And feel free to pick my brain as much as you need!

Good luck, and definately post pics of your progress!

ecila

4. East_Coast_Ryder

Aug 22, 2005
    :) Thanks muchly! And I will post pictures once I find my camera. [face_frustrated]

:oops: Thought I asked this: How long did your smocking take?

Also thought I said this: BEAUTIFUL job on your costume, eclia!

5. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi Ryder,

Thanks! I think it took me about 2 months, start to finish to make the robe in time for CIII, with a good month of smocking for a couple hours every day, and I made the nightgown over the course of few days. :) Its all sort of fuzzy now though. lol
    ecila

6. East_Coast_Ryder

Aug 22, 2005
    Okay, finished a test swatch (and found camera [face_dancing])...

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/East_Coast_Ryder/Padme%20costume/DCP04069.jpg]

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/East_Coast_Ryder/Padme%20costume/DCP04071.jpg]

Front and back.

Took me... 20 to 30 minutes? And I'm still not totally satisfied with it, but I'm a perfectionist... :p

No, this is not my actual fabric, it's actually a random shirt I had lying around that no one ever wears.

7. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Looks great Ryder!

I found that the thickness and crispness of the fabric has huge impact on the smocking too, so you may want to play around with a few types.

ecila

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    What I'm using is silk velvet, and it's been a pain to work with. But it's so pretty, I can't complain too much. :p I don't like the fact that it's flowy and light, because although the smocking stretches nicely into V shapes when it's draped, marking the dots is difficult because the fabric moves around and stretches a lot. Even with weights, this happens. I've come to love the little Midori bottle we have - as a weight, of course! :p

Before that, I'd test-smocked a half yard of triple plush. I think it was mostly rayon. It seems a little too stiff, but probably if I had more and did the actual robe out of it, then it would stretch into a good shape. But the stiffness definitely made it easier to weigh down and mark up on the back.

Okay, now for my progress. Kris helped me try on what I have so far (thank you!). I used ecila's method of sewing the long strips together. It has a nice little train of about 18 inches, but that's going to be hell if I ever wear it to a con. So I'm going to take out approximately that much of the middle seam (down the back), tie up those loose smockings, and that will automatically add 18 inches of finished velvet down the front. :D

Looks like I've got about a foot or two total of finished smocking, which translates into...some amount of unsmocked velvet. :p I can't believe I did so much already!

9. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    JadeSole - sounds like you are making great progress! :)

Silk velvet is plain lovely and that is what I used too. I remember having a bunch of blue silk fuzziness everywhere too though. I actually wish my robe had a bit more of a train for the effect. My robe drags slighty, but whenever I walk around in dirty areas, I just picked it up. LOL.

We will have to get a Padme robe group shot at the next Con to capture the smocking craziness!

ecila

10. East_Coast_Ryder

Aug 22, 2005
    Did sitting with the robe on mess up the smocking?

Sounds like you're doing good, JadeSolo. And you're a fanfic mod? I hang around there a lot.

~Ryder

11. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi Ryder,
    Sitting on the robe did not mess it up, nor did wrapping it up in a plastic bag for traveling.

I did do a single loop knot at each fold though to secure it sizewise. Not sure if I mentioned that before. Before I did that, I had a lot of thread slipping.
    ecila

12. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    I was at Target today and saw a pillow there that had the same smocking as the robe. I was so tempted to buy it and it was even on clearance. I wonder if the people who make the pillows accually smock them all by hand. LOL

13. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks, Ecila! Working slowly but surely.

I'm not quite brave enoguh to try the robe yet. I think the idea of smocking that much fabric intimidates me a little. Can't wait to see everyones finished robes, though. :)

14. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    :D I'm done!

The Nightgown:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/Padme%20Naboo%20Nightdress/finishedbodice.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/Padme%20Naboo%20Nightdress/finishedgown.jpg

I made a version of the robe too. It's not smocked and doesn't have the trim and back detail, but I loved the color of the fabric.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/Padme%20Naboo%20Nightdress/naboorobefrontA.jpg

Me wearing them:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/Padme%20Naboo%20Nightdress/me1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/Padme%20Naboo%20Nightdress/me2.jpg

The two pictures of me are from my birthday dinner Monday. I did make my goal of having it done for my birthday, though I decided in the end not to add embroidery to the back of the gown. I am working on the trim for the sleeves, but that'll be a long ways off before it's done. I'm considering this one completed since my original plan was the nightgown only!

(Try number 2 on the links....)

15. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow, Nice, Kasey!! I agree about the color of the robe... WOW that is a gorgeous color!!!
    Awesome!!!

16. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Kasey - wow it looks great! I love the embroidery!
    ecila

17. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Thank you ecila and Nidrail. :) I'm glad you like it!

18. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Quik Ques for all those Smocking experts :)

Do you REALLY use 3x the fabric?? I mean if your making a 1" by 1" square, do you need 3" x 3" of fabric??

Thanks in advance!!
    ~N

19. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
  20. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Looks great Kasey!
    ecila

21. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Thank you, ecila! :)

22. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Debuted my robe and nightgown at C4. :D Here it is, from Dingo's collection.

And of course I can find at least five things I'd like to redo. :p

Kasey, did you make the trim yourself? Wow!

23. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    It's gorgeous! That smocking was incredible. How long did it take you to do?

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    The curse of the costumer!
    You did a super lovely job on it. :)

25. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    That is beautiful! Really beautiful, and I think I entered the world of being a costumer yesterday....I unpicked my Bespin cape as it wasnt hanging right! ARGH!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.