main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Pirates Of The Carribean

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Tiniwiel_Skywalker, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Jaina, you can certainly ask her! It was a few years ago though, so I'm not sure she would still have the info, or if they would still have the fabric! I made it in 2004... good luck! :)

2. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi everyone!
    I have the plum dress on my summer 'to do' list, and I - crazy as it sounds - found the perfect slubby plum silk dupioni at Joanns Fabric (in standing bolt drapery fabrics section)! It was $9 a yard, and I bought 10 yds during one of the upolstery section's 50% off sales. They also had some cool red/purple/plum crinkly poly, which captures all of the different colors.

Good luck with the fabric hunt!

:)
    ecila

3. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Wow, really? I guess I hadn't really checked their upholstery/drapery section. Unfortunately, my closest Joann stores have pretty pathetic upholstery sections. :( But I'm going out a-hunting today, so I'll definitely check again, with my 40% off coupon in hand. Thanks, ecila! Do you happen to have the name or SKU of the fabric?

4. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    I unrolled the tube and it has this SKU hand written:
    589-3995

I did buy the whole tube, so hopefully, it is the right one!

With my monitor, it is a dead ringer for this shade of plum. But a little more variance in color with black shades and a slight maroon hue.

ecila

5. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Thank you so much, Alice! I'm totally going to hit all the nearby Jo-Ann stores today and look for that. (I just took about a zillion and three screencaps of her dress. If you're interested, I can put 'em up on my website and send you the addy.)

6. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Well, five Jo-Ann stores, and no luck. I have one more left to try, but I'm not very hopeful. I'm guessing it's a fabric they no longer carry, so I'd have to get lucky and find some left. On the plus side, now I know where every Jo-Ann in San Diego County is!

7. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,

That is too bad that no one has it! Did you ask if you could special order? My mother in law just emailed Joann's corporate and they located the last 8 yards of a limited velvet for her, cross country. Also, how about ebay? (Check out item #6273970140) I have had good success with ebay silks, and I always start with a sample to test both the fabric and customer service.

And yes, I would love to see your screen caps when you get a chance!
    ecila

8. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    This site has some awesome cotton jaquards that would work great for the underdress, it's hard to find a natural fabric with a design woven into it like this :)

http://fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=965

This is the one I used:

http://fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=971

Here's mine so far, making for my best friend:

[image=http://www.rebelshaven.com/VersCorner/images/plum/plum025.jpg]

9. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Those fabrics are great, Verdaera! My shift is too low, I'd love to redo it! :)

10. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Looks great! Thanks for the links to those fabrics; they're terrific! I've found a lot of stuff that's kind-maybe close, but I think those are better. Hmmm, now to choose between the first and the second...

General question, what did people use for the lace at the sleeve cuffs? I've been poking around both the trims and the eyelet/specialty cottons locally, but haven't yet found anything I liked.

And, oh lord. After all that futile driving around to find the fabric Ecila found, and then finally biting the bullet and ordering Dharma dupioni and dye-- guess where I found the best fabric yet? Freakin' Home Fabrics, less than five miles away from me. *facepalm* So, uh. Anyone want seven yards of Dharma dupioni?

11. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
  12. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    I actually found mine at JoAnn's, strangley enough. That's a hard match. I found this trim:

http://www.rebelshaven.com/VersCorner/images/plum/lace001.jpg

and I double layered it, with the design shifted so it was more 'full' instead of holey, and the bottom is a straighter, not scalloped edge:

http://www.rebelshaven.com/VersCorner/images/plum/lace002.jpg

Worked surprisingly well I thought. Needed about 2 yards to do it though, and it's worth using a coupon on

13. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    :D that fabric's actually on sale right now

14. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    The trim, you mean?

Thanks for the info!

15. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    No, the fabric for the underdress on on sale for $6.13 a yard. I dunno about the trims, maybe there's a 4th of July sale. I didn't get a recent flyer :p I scan my label but they keep dropping me from the list or missing random flyers.

16. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Oh, the shift fabric! Yes, I saw that. :) I ordered a bunch of samples from that site! How do you like the weight of the fabric you ordered?

17. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    I'd say it's soft like cotton, comparable to linen weight (mid-weight linen) but it's got an open weave (not see through though) so it should be airy enough. I think it's a nice weight :) I'll have to comment back after my best friend has worn it out to events and see what she has to say about it :D

18. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Ugh, I'm not having a good time with the plum dress sleeves. I'm trying to do them accurately with the cartridge pleating, but I can't tell if it goes all the way around the top of the sleeve, or if it's only at the cap, and then the rest is just gathered? And I can't decide how wide to make the sleeves.

I did have some success making Barbossa's pendant and earring out of Sculpey earlier, so that's something. *sigh*

19. wendyhouse

wendyhouse Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2005
    Looks to me like the heavy pleating goes as far as the gold buttons on both sides.. then some softer gathers. I also would guess that just from a comfort of wear standpoint - if it had those heavy pleats all the way around it would be harder to move her arms. And the underarm probably isn't gathered at all, for the same reason.

good luck!

20. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    For those of you who have seen PoTC 2, here's what I've beeen working on,

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/goblet7/davy.jpg]

21. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    cool, what are you making it out of?

22. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    I haven't ventured into Pirates costuming...yet. Once my Jedi, Tusken, and probably something else are done, I might.

Anyone here see the Jacktrooper and Jack Skywalker at C3? He looked a good bit like Johnny Depp, and his Jedifying and Impifying of the character were pretty funny.

23. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    wow. that's really cool. i met this really great capt'n jack at comicon. he built an amazing compass that had been autographed my johnny depp. i think he does that for a living. and then she showed me all of his jewelry, and weapons and between him and the prop maker who made a great darth maul an even better bladeless maul lightsaber... i was swooning! i will post pics. he was in the master replicas booth and speaking of which...

i don't know if these are officially on the market yet, or were just a show special, but you can buy the aztec necklace, the key to the deadman's chest, jack's ring and i think there was more... from master replicas. they looked great. although i thought that the aztec gold was bigger in the movie...

i want to make a jack costume for myself but then the capt'n called me a eunich... and sabers were drawn... and cameras came out and there was a truce of sorts... if such can be called of alliances between sith and pirates... ; )

i'm still making the costume. and an elizabeth as a guy with her marionette wedding dress. that was pretty funny.

24. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    You're both talking about the same guy-- Toby of SithCamaro. And yes, his Jack is amazing! I believe he was at Comic-Con as regular Jack, Cannibal King Jack, and Singapore Jack.

25. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    I have lots and lots of pictures from our "PDQ Pirates" entry from the Comic-Con Masquerade this weekend. We won Best Presentation, yay! Here we go:

Eurobeat King's photos (start here and click to the right to see more)
    Atomic99's photos (again, start here, click to the right)
    Kell's photos (third verse, same as the first)

And our pictures from our photoshoot on board the HMS Surprise and the Star of India, at the Maritime Museum:

My photos
    Carolyn's photos
    Kel's photos

You can also see a video of our skit on YouTube, here.

Oh, and I'm Elizabeth. If you couldn't tell from my multiple posts in this thread. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.