main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Planning thread:Bowling

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Mindtwister shared a great idea with the rest of us at the SW Clone Wars breakfast...a night out bowling with all the SW fan groups being invited.
    Mindtwisty favored a midnight bowl thing for the fact you can bowl as much as you want. I favored a daytime bowl thing since I'm an old man and you can bowl as much as you want if if rent some lanes for a party.
    I visited the closest alley to me...Kingpin Lanes...and this is what I got from them. An adult party, minimum 8 people is $18 per person. That includes shoe rental, 2 hours of bowling (2 lanes for 8 people) and 1 large pizza and a pitcher of beer or soda for every 4 people. Latest party reservation time is 7PM.
    So using that as a starting point would people be interested? Does anyone have a bowling alley near them to compare prices? Does anyone know who does a midnight bowl thing and what it costs? There used to be a place on UofL's campus I went to as a student that did midnight bowl but that was many many moons ago and I'm not sure if they're still around. Would we want to do it before the holidays or after?

2. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I have a few bowling lanes near me. Let me make some calls to compare their rates and rates for midnight bowling too and see how they rate against one another.

3. BulbousFreak

BulbousFreak Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2007
    Cool idea. I love bowling.

Might as well do it around Thanksgiving. I'll be serving up the turkeys.

4. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I can't bowl worth a darn... depth blindness. However I have a great time "trying" to bowl! And everyone loves to watch, "[face_laugh]" . I won't be on a team. :p I usually just take a turn throwing the ball down the lanes. Any team I'd be on, I would horribly handicap.

I have loads of fun though... so I'm so on for this! WOOT! [face_dancing]

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Dropped by Fern Bowl in Fern Creek; they're a little sketchy (well, all of Fern Creek) but they've been around since I was knee high to a dewback. They have 2 party packages...with and without food basically. The "Spare Package" is $120 for up to 12 people (so $10 a person depending) for 2 hours of bowling, 2 lanes and shoes, 2 cheese pizzas or 12 hot dogs and chips, 2 nachos and 3 pitchers of soda. An additional $60 for 13-18 people with additional lane and food provided.
    The "Strike Package" is $90 for up to 12 people for 2 hours of bowling, 2 lanes and shoes. An additional $40 for 13-18 people with additional lane provided.
    They do a "Glow Bowl" on weekends from 10PM-2AM. Right now it's $10 a person through the end of the month.
    It's a smaller alley...only 20 lanes.

6. BulbousFreak

May 17, 2007
    Based on the information provided, I would vote for Fern Creek. Especially because I lived most of my childhood life within 10 minutes of those lanes but never actually bowled them.

To quote a rap song which does not, but should, exist: "let's make them lanes glow."

7. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Sorry I haven't been able to look into this here yet. I have been working an insane amount of overtime, so it's late when I leave here. I'll try to get some rate info just for comparison this weekend.

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    No apologies needed, no rush on this, just still gathering data.

Fern Bowl is where I first bowled, notice I didn't say LEARNED to bowl. They get points for longevity but I don't think they've ever updated the exterior plus there was trash and beer cans in the parking lot when I went. Not very welcoming.

Keep in mind the price goes up per person if we don't get the 12. And the glow bowl price is only good through the end of the month so we'll probably have to check back with them for November or December or whenever we do this.

9. BulbousFreak

May 17, 2007
    So I guess we need to figure out these things:

- do we want to eat and drink while we bowl (I'd imagine almost everyone wants to)

- then we need to set a date so we can see exactly the number of people who will show up. If it's at least 9 or 10, Fern Bowl is best price option. But if it's fewer people, might as well go to the (relatively) nicer alley since there won't be any per-person difference in price.

- for something like this maybe we should pool the money in advance too, because we don't want a couple people on the hook for all the money if everyone else decides to bail

10. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Sounds like beautiful plans in the works. I bow to your ideas Bulbous. ^:)^

11. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    I am interested....if I am invited!

jedimika likes this.
  12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Of course! ;)

13. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Fun is Bowling.
    (Count me and Ms. Jammies in, once we get a date that will work with everyone)
    Gotta love a sport that lets you eat a corndog and drink a beer as you play!

14. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Ms. Jammies? [face_love]

15. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Did we miss something??[face_whistling]

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    WHAT? Hey now-- you all have met her, and I have called her Ms. Jammies on the boards before. I wouldn't want to put her real name on an open forum, but I like Ms. Jammies better then "that mara jade looking chick."

But, if you are looking for a big announcement? Not yet.

17. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Ah... sorry my Jammies. Didn't remember all of that.

By the way, welcome to the great and mighty Louisville Galactic Alliance of the Fan Force my Commander Appo! [face_love][:D]

18. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yea Baby thanks!!;)

OPPS I'm not suppose to talk like that here. I'll tell ya later:cool:

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Any further intel on the bowling alleys by you mindtwisty?

20. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Not yet. In between being sick (again), and my pancreatitis acting up, and working OT, I have not had an opportunity to check this out yet. Sorry for the delays.

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Don't worry about it, just concentrate on getting better. This event is a great any time of year idea and we're not in a rush. It may even be better to wait until after the chaos of the holidays.

22. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    I agree on waiting. It's getting ready to be the holiday shopping season, and people become moronic with their driving and I would be really concerned with the safety of you all.

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Twisty!
    WTF mang? Your Pancreatitis? Again?
    This is like a bad sequel. Star Wars Episode Seven: The Pancreas Strikes Back!

24. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Don't worry about that. It isn't anywhere near as serious as it was back in 09. Having sustained the damage it has, it does flare up from time to time and keep me from doing much when it does. So nothing too serious on the illness front, but it is a chronic illness and subject to act up whenever it sees fit to do so. I've been trying to change my eating habits and also have been looking for patterns to see if it's any specific things that are causing the flare ups, but so far, it appears to be random.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the care and concern all of you have shown for me. I know deep in my heart that I am truly justified when I refer to you ALL as my friends. That isn't something that comes easy to me, because of how I am and who I am, so friends are hard to come by. I am extermely proud to call you all friends.

Ok, so the emotional part of this is over, and I'm sure I'll be just fine...lol.

Can't wait to see everyone again!

25. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    OK, So is now a good time to BUMP this up to the front for discussion? I could use a place to throw a heavy ball at to keep my sanity.