main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Playing with Minds (JA)~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jedi_master_gimpy, Sep 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Iffy??? Iffy???
    The only if that awesome post left me with was wndering 'if' Obi's going to live.

2. Jedi_KnightMariah

Jedi_KnightMariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2000
    *glaring at gimpy* First you kill Xani and you're killing Obi?! How could you?!

3. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    So, uh, Gimpy, how's that, um, post coming for ya?

Soon? I sincerely hope so!!!

4. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    hehe, sorry I scared everyone!! ;) I seriously think I must be fighting off the evil IFFYPOSTMONSTER in my sleep or something because I'm having MAJOR trouble with these posts right now.....

==============
    ==============

Qui-Gon was in the hallway outside the Infirmary?s operating room, alternating between wearing the tiles thin pacing and sitting bonelessly in a chair with his head in his hands. He had waited for over an hour since An-Paj had rushed into the room without a word followed shortly by Master Sheral, the mind healer.

Qui-Gon rested his elbows on his knees and rubbed his jaw tiredly. The sound of footsteps echoed down the hall towards him and a plate of warm, appetizing food appeared under his nose.

?Eat.?

Qui-Gon looked away. ?I?m not hungry, Mace.?

?Yes, you are.? Mace Windu replied, giving his friend a knowing look. ?And unless you want to be back in a hospital bed yourself when An-Paj comes out with some news, I suggest you eat every bite of this.?

Qui-Gon sighed and reached out a hand for the plate. Mace watched him closely as he began to eat listlessly, a man without purpose.

Mace gave a sigh of his own and rested a comforting hand on the Jedi Master?s shoulder. ?Obi-Wan will pull through this, Qui-Gon. Force knows he?s been to the healers more than I can count and he?s always gotten through it before.?

?This time is different. Before Obi-Wan knew who he was, he knew how to help heal himself and he had a home to look forward to coming back to. He has none of that now, Mace. All he has are memories that make him want to-? Qui-Gon?s voice broke and he snapped his mouth shut, unwilling to say it out loud.

Mace had nothing to say to that.

Both Jedi looked up as the door across from them opened and a tired-looking An-Paj walked out to greet them. Qui-Gon placed his half-eaten plate of food over to the side and stood up slowly, trying to gather up the last few shreds of composure he still possessed. He took a deep breath. ?Hello, An-Paj. How is he??

An-Paj exchanged a grave look with Mace. ?I think you?d better sit down, Qui-Gon.?

Qui-Gon crossed his arms stubbornly. ?I would have felt it if he?d died, An-Paj. I know I would have. What happened??

An-Paj sighed and sat down himself. ?Very simply, we believe that Obi-Wan was hallucinating before his... suicide attempt.? Qui-Gon cringed at the words but forced himself to remain standing as long as possible, to try to remain that tall, tower of strength that others always seemed to think he was. ?Bits of pieces of what he remembers, as well as the memory of the men he ?killed?. His mind is very mixed up right now, and he managed to... convince himself that he had to die.?

The healer rubbed his chin tiredly. ?It was horrible in there, Qui-Gon. Even after we stopped the seizures, his organs kept shutting down, one after another. It was like he was purposefully working against us...?

Qui-Gon sank into his chair, his wobbly knees unable to hold him any longer. He looked away from An-Paj, as though by only hearing the words he wouldn?t have to believe what the healer was saying.

?Master Sheral is going to try to find the memory of the doctors actually implanting the other memory in Obi-Wan?s head, hopefully they didn?t erase it. By making Obi-Wan relive it we?re hoping that he?ll realize he did not kill those men.? An-Paj took a deep breath. ?But it?s risky. He?s still very confused and weak, and moving things around in someone?s head is dangerous to begin with. We need your permission.?

Qui-Gon looked down at his hands, his voice a mere whisper. ?Without it he?ll keep trying to kill himself, won?t he??

?We don?t know for sure,? An-Paj said quietly. ?There?s a good chance, though. He?ll never be completely stable. No matter what you say he?ll believe he killed those men.?

Qui-Gon lifted his head to meet the healer?s gaze. ?Can I be with him??

An-Paj looked ready to refuse but his gaze softened. ?I?ll arrange it.?

Qui-Gon stood shakily to his feet. ?In that case w

5. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    gimpy, you think I'm good with the angst?! To steal a line from Ejedir2, you da awesomest!! What a great post, I'm glad to see that Mace is there to support Qui in what is going to be a very bumpy road...Please tell me that he will get Obi back. He is, right?

Looking forward to more!!

6. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Great post! You wrote their reactions very well. I'm looking forward to more.

7. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    You know, I thought I've read through all the Obi-torture to be immuned to worry, but now you throw in a new twist - Obi shutting down his own organs- which makes it more suspenseful and worrisome.

8. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    WOW! I just spent the last hour reading the entire fic... and now I'm left hanging!!! AHHHHH!! Keep posting =)

9. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks, Faith! :D

I have the next post ready, anybody else ready for it?

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    YES! YES! YES!

11. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    Well, how long are you going to drag it out? :) I've been starving for posts on my favorite stories today!

:)

12. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    *laughs* Okay, okay, here it is!

===============
    ===============

Qui-Gon stepped hesitantly into Obi-Wan?s room. The teenager was strapped to the bed at the chest, waist and legs and his face was so pale and breaths so shallow that at first the Jedi Master wondered whether he wasn?t dead after all.

Master Sheral looked up from a chair by the bed and offered a tired smile. ?Master Jinn. I?m glad you?re here.?

?What do you want me to do?? Qui-Gon asked quietly.

?Stay with him,? Master Sheral replied simply. ?Let him know that you?re here and you care.?

Qui-Gon sat down on the other side of the bed as Sheral and An-Paj conversed in low tones about the procedure. The Jedi Master dug into a tunic pocket and placed something in Obi-Wan?s hand. ?I brought your rock, Padawan,? he said softly. ?I thought you might want it.?

As if in some subconscious response, Obi-Wan?s fingers curled around the rock that had been his present from Qui-Gon on his thirteenth birthday.

Qui-Gon smiled.

Master sheral resumed his place on the opposite side of the bed. ?We?re ready to begin now.? He rested a hand on Obi-Wan?s forehead and closed his eyes.

Qui-Gon held his breath as the room fell into almost complete silence. There was no movement, just anxious anticipation. Master Sheral probed deeper and Obi-Wan?s eyes began to move back and forth under their lids. The teenager let out a low moan and stirred against the bindings holding him down.

?His heart beat?s accelerated. He?s trying to wake up,? An-Paj said softly.

?He doesn?t want to remember,? Qui-Gon whispered. He looked over his shoulder and saw the blue-skinner healer standing with his eyes closed as he monitored the two involved in the procedure.

Obi-Wan whimpered and Qui-Gon wrapped his fingers around the small hand clenching the rock. ?I?m here, Padawan,? he whispered softly. ?I won?t leave.?

Master Sheral?s body shuddered and he sucked in a mouthful of air as though he?d forgotten to breathe, but his eyes remained closed. Obi-Wan whimpered again.

?He?s found it,? An-Paj murmured.

Qui-Gon?s eyes were glued to Obi-Wan?s face. He saw the teenager flinch and tears filled the Jedi Master?s eyes. He brushed them away with his free hand, determined to be strong for Obi-Wan.

He felt a tug on the Master/Padawan bond as Obi-Wan unconsciously reached out to him for strength and comfort.

//Padawan?//

There was no reply, but Qui-Gon could almost *feel* Obi-Wan crying out to him for help. The tug was stronger now, Qui-Gon was amazed at how Obi-Wan manipulated the Force. The Jedi Master allowed his grip on the present reality to fade as he felt Obi-Wan pull on his presence, like a small child trying to wrap his security blanket around himself.

?Qui-Gon?? he dimly heard An-Paj call. ?Sith Qui-Gon, I don?t know what you?re doing but I want you back here now!?

Qui-Gon tuned out the physical world and focused on the gleaming pathway of his bond with Obi-Wan, the bond that was calling him desperately. He was faintly aware of his body collapsing to the ground but Qui-Gon was already gone, pouring his consciousness into Obi-Wan?s mind and the scared voice that was calling him.

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Gimpy....for some one stalked by the Iffy Monster those posts were fabulous!

Qui-Gon waiting for news, An-Paj's diagnosis...all quite excellent.

Then Qui-Gon giving in to the pull of Obi-Wan on their bond!!!

>>?Qui-Gon?? he dimly heard An-Paj call. ?Sith Qui-Gon, I don?t know what you?re doing but I want you back here now!? <<---WOW!

14. Master_Tahl

Master_Tahl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2000
    Wow is right, that was a great post gimpy.
    As always post again!

15. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    <?I brought your rock, Padawan,? he said softly. ?I thought you might want it.? >

That part was so sad. The whole post was excellent! How you described Obi-Wan's reaction was excellently written, I could really picture it. I hope you can post more soon!

16. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    Hmm, why do I get the feeling that Qui-Gon is going to get an in-depth taste of Obi-angst?

Obi-Wan tugging at Qui-Gon was really sad to me.

17. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    Great post! I sense much pain ahead =) LOL! keep the posts coming! Can't wait to read more.

18. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    aawwww how sad...but that post was great!
    not iffy at all!!!!!
    cant wait for the next post

19. Jedi_KnightMariah

Jedi_KnightMariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2000
    ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! GIMPYYYYYYYYYYY?????!!!!!!! Tell me the ending NOW! If you....er.....want to see....X-Men......or something like that again....you'll tell m- Aw, man! JUST TEEEEEELLLLL MEEEEEE!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSEEE!

20. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    *gasp* Am I getting THREATS now, Mariah?! ;-)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

====================

The room was white. Qui-Gon looked down and saw Obi-Wan still strapped down, only this time to a medical chair with heavy metal strips. Obi-Wan was clutching the Jedi Master?s hand so tightly that his knuckles were turning white.

Qui-Gon followed the teenager?s terrified gaze to see Rina and a man he didn?t recognize preparing something on the far side of the room.

?You need to remember, Obi-Wan,? Master Sheral encouraged from the other side of the bed.

Obi-Wan shook his head with quick side-to-side jerks and turned his tear-filled eyes to Qui-Gon. ?Please don?t make me.?

Qui-Gon wanted to protect Obi-Wan from the monsters in the dark, to do anything to alleviate the pain he saw on his padawan?s face. He took a deep breath and smoothed back the teenager?s hair. ?Obi-Wan, you have to remember.?

Obi-Wan squeezed his eyes shut and a long tear trickled down his cheek. ?You weren?t here before. I was so scared.?

Qui-Gon swallowed the wave of sorrow and guilt that threatened to overwhelm him. ?I?m here now, Obi-Wan, and I?m not planning on leaving any time soon.?

They both looked up as Rina approached, grinning maliciously. ?Be sure to hold still now, Jedi. This won?t hurt a bit.? Her gaze slid right through Qui-Gon and Master Sheral without even seeing them.

The ?secretary? strode over to Master Sheral?s side of the bed and the Jedi Master quickly moved back out of the way. She held a small machine, unfolded two long metal braces from the sides and attached them to the chair on either side of Obi-Wan?s head so that the machine rested a few inches above the teenager?s forehead.

Obi-Wan tried to turn his head but it was trapped by the machine. His eyes sought Qui-Gon and he bit his lip against the tears, letting out a sniffle. ?Don?t leave me.?

?Never,? Qui-Gon whispered.

Rina pushed a button and a light turned from red to green. The machine began to hum and two protrusions emerged and pressed into the teenager?s temples. She tapped a few buttons in quick succession. ?Implanting memory??

Obi-Wan squeezed his eyes shut and clutched Qui-Gon?s hand tighter. The older man squeezed back reassuringly but underneath he was as scared as his apprentice.

A blue strand of energy raced down each protrusion and Obi-Wan flinched, his body jerking in on violent convulsion against the restraints.

Rina checked the equipment, tapped a few keys, and the protrusions retracted. She removed the machine, humming to herself as she placed it to the side.

Qui-Gon brushed a hand across Obi-Wan?s hair. ?Padawan??

Rina came back over and Qui-Gon had to release Obi-Wan?s hand and step to the side. She tapped a finger against his forehead repeatedly until the teenager?s eyes fluttered open. She cupped his face firmly in her hands and glared down at him sternly. ?I want you to listen to me closely, Jedi.?

Obi-Wan?s mouth opened and he tried to say something but only trembled, unable to speak as his mind tried to recover from its assault.

?You will not remember that this happened, do you understand me??

Obi-Wan tried to pull away from her grasp and his eyes sought Qui-Gon. ?I-I-?

?You will not remember this happened.?

Obi-Wan locked gazes with the Jedi Master over Rina?s shoulder and the older man smiled encouragingly. ?I-? the teenager worked his jaw carefully.

?I forbid you to remember. All you remember is that you killed those men.?

Obi-Wan?s eyes stared straight at Qui-Gon, and the Jedi Master rejoiced at finding his beloved apprentice once more. ?I-I remember it.?

Rina?s body disappeared as did the bindings holding Obi-Wan down. Qui-Gon helped the apprentice sit up and then Obi-Wan threw his arms around the Jedi Master?s waist and buried his head in his tunic. Qui-Gon rubbed his back gently and made soft, soothing noises.

After a few minutes Obi-Wan sat back and wiped at the tears on his face. ?I-I didn?t kill those men?? he asked unbelievingly.

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    What a wonderful X-Mas present Gimpy.

That was soooo cool!

As painful as it was to remember, it was a needed memory. And the end with An-Paj scolding Qui-Gon...too perfect!

22. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, that was great. The way that Qui-Gon was there in Obi-Wan's mind, helping him to remember what really happened, giving him comfort and support, was great. Excellent solution to the problem.

23. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    Merry Christmas Gimpy =) Thanks for that wonderful post!

24. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    Wow, Gimpy. Two wonderful posts.

I don't even know what to say. They were great.

Everyone have happy Holidays!

25. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    AWESOME POST GIMPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY
    CCCCCHHHHHRRRRRRIIIIISSSSSTTTTTTTMMMAAAAAAASS
    EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.