main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    What do you have and what would you be prepared to let go? My Pokedex is pretty bare... might be best to take it to PM's so the thread isn't clogged...

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone got Black or White yet? I'm picking up my copy of White tomorrow and I can't wait. Must make sure I have my DS fully charged and ready to go so I can play it on the bus home. :D

3. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I picked up Black on Friday, been hammering it ever since (hence no reply to your PM :p )

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Got time for a quick review or are you too busy? :p

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    May switch to White. Going to pick up both at Toys R US (buy one, get the other 50% off) and sell one to a friend.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Went to a Gamestop at midnight, not bad crowd size actually, came back, been playing since, though going to have to go to sleep soon. Some nice changes, like Tackle no longer has a 1 in 20 chance of missing, though I'm missing some things (that will probably be put back in for either the the third game and/or the remakes, like the permanent run button). But basically, Nintendo and GF have another hit on their hands (not that that's a surprise for anybody paying attention for the last 10 years). Definitely one of the last great games for the DS.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I picked my first grass starter: Smugleaf. I've decided Leer will be his signature move.

8. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Im picking this up on my way home from class tommorrow(yay for GS being next door to College!).

Totally going with Tepig...sure Emboar looks horrid, but then taking the cute Otter and turning it into a...idk what seems even worse.

Plus the cartoon show made me love Tepigs smoky snort noise. I wish we got that instead of the sound byte's associated with each PKMN.

9. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Similar plan here. Smugleaf forever.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Doesn't smugleaf's moveset suck? FWIW that's just based on someone else's opinion, not mine! I went with Tepig before I had even read that.

Tepig seems to be better to go with for the first few gyms, before gym 2 you can get Rock Smash, as gym 2 is all normal Pokemon, you can see where that's going!

3 or 4 is then a bug gym I believe...

Only recently found out about the 'rustling grass' > This makes levelling pretty easy, not so good for EV training though. Rustling grass around route 2-3 pretty much means Audino who is an XP mine compared to the normal guys.

Currently have Pignite, Blitzle, Purrleon, Sage thingy, Pidove and er... Roggenrola (what a bad name!) in my team.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Smugleaf ---> Sneervine ---> ???

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I just wish we didn't have yet another Fire/Fighting starter (and it doesn't even compare favorably with the last one). Samurott on its own looks pretty cool (not as cool as the plant serpent, but still), with the harpoon/spear on its head... the only problem is that its kind of odd to go from dual-wielding bipedal Dewcott to that. Oh well.

The game's actually pretty kind, at least for the first two gyms. The first Gym Leader always uses a Pokemon strong against your starter, but a girl nearby gives you a monkey that's strong against the Gym Leader's monkey. And while usually Normal type Gyms give me nightmares (Norman's Slaking, even with Truant, still took a while to whittle down, and Whitney's Pokemon were either doing way too much damage after a few turns of Rollout, or their Attract paralyzed half my team), this one wasn't that strong, and there were a lot of fighting Pokemon nearby to level up and train. And ooh, just got to that huge city.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I know the official name is Serperior but it's not as cool.

The fire chain totally should have been Piglit->Pignite->Pignition

15. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Gonna be honest..i think Samurott was a Water/fighting legendary(the legendary's this time are part fighting), and they realized a few days beforehand they forgot to give Oshawatt/Dewott a 3rd evolution. that's why it's so startlingly different.

It looks totally awesome, but it so clashes with the previous evolutions i cant stand knowing that is what it turns into.

Picked this up a few hours ago. Gotta finish a Botany presentation. Using this as motivation to finish.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Dragonite.

17. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Im aware. I keep it as a Dragonair. Dragonite annoys me to no end. It goes from this graceful wise looking serpent to....a flying clueless looking thing.

Le sigh.

Originally Butterfree was the evolution of Venonat and Venomoth was an evolution of Metapod. Translation errors from what i understand. I may be misremembering.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone seen rustling grass or dark grass on Route 1? I keep looking but nothing so far.

Also, is it me or is the world smaller in this game? There are 18 Routes in Black/White compared to the 48 in HG/SS. And, is it me or does Castelia look like a hand?

Anyways, I got the Liberty Pass so I can get Victini and I'm really enjoying the game. :D

19. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Dragonite is a BAMF, y'all don't know what you're talking about.

I like Pokabu (refuse to say Tepig, worst pun ever), but his evolutions are bizarre. Not as bizarre as the aforementioned though.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Don't forget in HG/SS just like the originals it's Johto and Kanto, hence the extra routes. 18-20 seems to be the average for a single world.

21. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I only remember seeing rustling grass after I reached Striaton City / the Dreamyard but that was only because I only found out about it then and I haven't been back to the previous places to check.

Basically I just walk back and forth in a line by a patch of grass, eventually a patch will start rustling (this is audible).

The same goes for dust clouds in caves, and I think there are insect swarms too, but I haven't seen either of these 2 yet.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Now that I'm farther in the game, I know about the rustling grass. You only see it after you've got the first badge.

As for getting the second badge, get a pokemon from Pinwheel forest. To level it quickly you just walk around and wait for the grass to rustle. If it's not an Audini then catch one, after that win every encounter. You'll get a few hundred XP from Audini and the other pokemon that appears in the rustling grass will only appear in rustling grass.

I lost to the second gym leader though. :( Back to the ruins to level up there a bit more, and get that other pokemon.

Edit: Grrrrr, I really hate Watchdog!! Retaliation + Hypnosis != gud tiems!

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I got Victini yesterday, which was . . . interesting. I'd tried the night before and it took out my level 22 Pansear and Dewott. It was also having a good go at my level 26 Gurdurr too. I'd knocked it down to a few HP and it still escaped from the following:
    5 x Poke Balls
    2 x Premier Balls
    5 x Great Balls
    3 x Heal Balls
    1 x Net Balls
    1 x Master Balls

Needless to say I didn't save after failed attempt. When I tried again yesterday, I used Yawn (Pansear has it) and put it to sleep. I think I whacked it once before I used a regular Poke Balls, and I caught it.

8-}

Oh, and I swapped a pokemon in game too. I swapped a Petilil for a Cottonee as I can only catch Petilils in White. I got a Cottonee called 'Fluffee' . . o_O

24. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    So I finally have all 3 starters in B/W, female versions.

Would love to trade some starters for the Black exclusives(other than Gothi and Sawk) if anyone wants or needs.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'd like to get all three starters (female ones) to go with my Oshawott. I don't have Black though.

Which ones are the Black exclusives?