main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Politic Question

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by spaceman1687, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaceman1687

spaceman1687 Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2003
    OK I am sure this has been brought up before but I can't seem to find a thread on this in here. When Padme calls for a Vote of No Confidence in Valorum, does everybody then vote on it? I mean how much time passed between when she called it and Palpatine is coming in all smiles and says that he was nominated. Is it that easy to remove someone from the Chancellor position? Also this is in AOTC but deals with the same issue. When Jar Jar suggests that Palpatine should have emergency powers everybody yells yes and no and all of a sudden Palps is like, "This power you've given me blah blah blah. Am I missing something here or is that weird?????

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They vote on it. As for AOTC, he is giving a speech accepting the "motion" the senate votes off screen.

3. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    i think you can read about the vote in the book...i am not sure...but scene like the voting was not made because we all knew the outcome :)

4. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah what Strilo said. I can't really remeber if they go into more depth about it in the novel but I think they do.

5. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    According to a version of the script I found online, Amidala's motion was seconded by Bail Organa and was to be voted on the following day. I've copied out an excerpt of the scene:

(You can read more about the AotC vote scene here.)

AMIDALA : (angrily) I will not defer...I have come before you to resolve this attack on our sovereignty now. I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee. If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a "vote of no confidence"...in Chancellor Valorum's leadership.

VALORUM : What?...No!

This causes a great stir in the assembly. A loud mumur cresendos into a roar of approval and jeers. CHANCELLOR VALORUM is stunned and stands speechless. His Vice Chair, MAS AMEDDA, takes over.

MAS AMEDDA : Order! We shall have order...

Things settledown a little. The Federation box settles next to AMIDALA. PRINCE BAIL ORGANA moves his box into the arena.

BAIL ORGANA : Alderaan seconds the motion for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum.

MAD AMEDDA : The motion has been seconded by Bail Organa of Alderaan.

MAS AMEDDA turns to the confused VALORUM, and whispers something to him.

BAIL ORGANA : There must be no delays. The motion is on the floor and must be voted upon in this session.

LOTT DOD : The Trade Federation moves the motion be sent to the procedures committee for study.

The assembly begins to chant. VALORUM talks to MAS AMEDDA.

ASSEMBLY : Vote now! Vote now! Vote now!

PALPATINE stands next to AMIDALA.

PALPATINE : You see, Your Majaesty, the tide is with us...Valorum will be voted out, I assure you, and they will elect in a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor, one who will not let our tragedy continue...

MAS AMEDDA : Thew Supreme Chancellor requests a recess. Tomorrow we will begin the vote.

The Federation delegation is furious. VALORUM turns to PALPATINE.

VALORUM : Palpatine, I thought you were my ally...my friend. You have betrayed me! How could you do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.