main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Proposal for underage members attending meet-ups

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by halibut, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, given concerns that have been raised and the fact that there is no actual policy set, Spike and I have been discussing the best approach to allowing underage members at meet-ups so that both their interests and FF's interests are best served.

There are many different options to consider, and rather than start a poll with about 6 different choices, we've put together this idea to throw open for discussion and thoughts.

After much discussion, debating, throwing ideas back and forth, and research we have come up with the following proposal.

1) Any member under 16 years of age must have adult accompaniment/supervision at meets
    2) Any member 16-17 years of age must have signed parental permission to attend meets, and the CR must have had phone contact with the parents beforehand.

We realise that point 2 might seem OTT, but we have to consider that FF has no civil liability insurance, and so anyone under 18 must have a signed waiver from the parents to acknowledge that FF is not liable for anything that happens whilst the member is at a meet.

So what are yout thoughts on this?

2. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Few just made it ;)

3. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Agreed! :)

4. Ranouch-Heath

Ranouch-Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2007
    Good Points !

Gone are the Pub Meet ups then ?

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Not necessarily. These are precautionary measures. Chances are, most meets will be attended by those over 18 anyway.

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    So far every Northern member is 18+, so pub meets are still fine.

Restaurant-wise it's legal for 16+ to drink alchohol (with their meals).

Our last under-18 member was Dan (before he turned 18 last month). He never went to any pubs with us as I recall (barring CE), and I don't think he drank any alcohol at the Xmas Curry meet either. Back then we didn't think about public liability risks etc.

I would be happy to continue in blissful ignorance, but if there's a risk, then it needs to be addressed for any future underage members.

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Does this count for all Chapters?

I mean, I've been attending meets since I was 16 or 17 (can't remember which exactly :p ), and Rob, Ryan and Serena were under 18 in our first meets. I don't think the 18 thing is workable in the UK. In the US, maybe, because their age of adulthood is different than here. Most people have a high level of freedom from the age of 16 here. I mean, I can see the parental consent applying to under-16's, but 16-17 year olds are generally mature enough to make their own choices. They may choose to tell their parents where they're going, but having the CR have to speak to parents beforehand is a little overkill, imo.

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Glen,

This was something we discussed at great length, and I pointed out exactly what you've just written. But, the level of concern about public liability if an under-18 gets injured at a FanForce meet had to prompt this discussion.

And we're discussing it in the North for the time being, because of issues pointed out in the CR election. Once it has been discussed and decided upon, we'll be bringing this to each of the other chapters for their input. In this (if you look at the rules) it's the chapter who decides, rather than individual CRs.

9. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Ah, right. Silly public liability :p

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm also thinking of a disclaimer option we can perhaps put on the new website or elsewhere. Something like: "FanForce will not be held responsible if your child is injured".

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Good idea.

As Spike said, the reasoning behind the parental permission is purely to cover FF's arses as we have no civil/public liability insurance, so in the event of something happening, FF would be open to lawsuits.

Obviously this wouldn't effect any individual lawsuits (for example if I pushed Spike in front of a speeding car) but it would prevent any action against FF itself :)

12. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    All looks fine for me. And it's extremely important, since Fan Force has been (and always will be) a family friendly organisation, I am not interested in exclusion of that sort even if North currently doesn't usually have family groups attending. The core is late teens and up, and the social activities we do are very mixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.