main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Public Sector Strikes - Nov 30

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Nov 29, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As we've been hearing on the news (it seems forever) tomorrow is Public Sector Strike Day. Will you be on strike? Will you be taking the day off to care for kids who should be in school? Or were you supposed to have an NHS procedure that's been cancelled? How do you expect to be affected?

Mine's pretty minor, as far as I know. No kids so schools don't affect me. Not due for anything on the NHS (unless I get a heart attack or something unexpected tonight!), and I don't work in the public sector. However it is trash day in my neighborhood so if they are on strike then it's gonna be pretty smelly if we have to wait two weeks for the next pick-up. At least it isn't summer..

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    One of the kids is at home. And my mum (a hospital worker) is on strike.

But the other 3 kids' school is staying open. Good on them.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yay! Trash dudes aren't on strike - I can hear the lorry down the street![face_dancing]

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Had to go to a tribunal today appealing against a decision by the DWP. Been waiting for it for 2 years. Was dreading it being cancelled. Fortunately it wasn't. And I won. yay.

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Congrats! Do you get to see some financial gain from that?

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yup. £50 a week, plus 2 years backpayments

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Good stuff! Don't spend it all in one place...

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Barely any traffic in the roads this morning. Did my commute in half the usual time.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I know where some of them were..

I do my laundry at the laundrette up the street and I normally go just after they open at 8:30 am. Usually all the washers and dryers are unused unless the attendant has started doing the service washes. This morning was much the same when I got there but by the time I went back to get my clothes out of the dryer there was a queue for dryers. Most of the people had at least one little kid with them so I guess the kids were off due to closed schools and the moms had to stay home and decided to get the laundry done.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I can confirm this first hand.