main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Only_2, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Is it just me? I just saw it again, on a DLP screen where not only is the picture far greater but the sound as well.

When we hear Qui-Gon yell Anakin! Anakin! (which is a lift from TMP when Maul buzzes them on his speeder bike on Tatooine, this wasn't recorded for AOTC) the NOOOOOOO! that follows is not Liam Neeson. It's also not Hayden, or Ewan, or even Yoda (Frank Oz).

Who is it?

any ideas would be helpful, I think this may solve a few lingering questions I have.

2. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I agree.

Don't know what's doing though.

3. ryanof1

ryanof1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2000
    Maybe it's Luke's scream from the ESB Special Edition?

4. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Maybe it's Luke's scream from the ESB Special Edition?

No way, Ryan. It's definetely Palpatine's scream from ROTJ when Vader tosses him over the edge.

8-}

I think it's Hayden Christensen doing the "Noooo!"

5. The_KGB

The_KGB Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    I thought that maybe it was Anakin screaming, but not from the fight with the sandpeople but from his future fight with OB1. Maybe Qui Gon was trying to warn him that if he does this thing with the sandpeople it will lead to his "death".

Just a possibility.

6. Darth_Ozzy

Darth_Ozzy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    what are all of you smoking, it is without doubt liam, lucas has said this.

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I think it's a clever set up by Lucas, making Yoda not really look at the "meantime" problems, but it's more than likely him seeing the future troubles.

I guess the Official Qui-Gon thread around here would offer more insights.

Just the "Noooo" part of the voice over doesn't sound like Liam at all.

8. The_KGB

May 21, 2002
    well what the hell would he be screaming about?

9. ryanof1

Sep 8, 2000
    Maybe it was Palpatine? Or Sidious?

10. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    It sounds like someone is being force choked.

11. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The "Anakin! Anakin!" is Liam's. The "NOOOO!" is Hayden's. I've seen the movie four times and it's definitely not Liam. It sounds like Hayden and then it gets very distorted as the "vision" ends. And then as it fades away, you hear Vader breath out once.

12. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    If someone is being force choked, they wouldn't make a sound other than "ack"

One of the easter eggs in AOTC is said by Lucas to be a plot point to Episode III when there is a voice heard in the background of a lightsabre fight. Whether it's Liam Neeson I don't know. I do know that is his voice with the "Anakin! Anakin" thing but the "Noooooooo" I have no idea who that is. Might be Anakin's conscience crying out. Might be other fallen Jedi who cry out in the void at Anakin's actions.

13. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    The "NOOOO!" was Watto. He hates to see Anakin turning evil.

14. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    You know what... I think you're right....

Maybe it's Dooku then. I don't know.

15. Only_2

May 21, 2002
    What it sounds like is someone who is speaking though an octave shifter. This is an effect used in recording to lower the persons voice(or the instrument) down an octave so that it sounds lower. Interesting, almost sound like Vader, but it's definitely not James Earl Jones.

I also said that it's not Liam Neeson because in TPM he yells "Anakin! Anakin! Get Down!" and this is definitely the same vocal part minus the "Get Down!" so the NOOOOOOO! is from somewhere else, you can tell by the poor audio editing, it doesn't sound natural. but where is it from?

16. The_KGB

May 21, 2002
    I thought I heard vaders breath out after the NOOOOOO, I do remember that but things move so fast in the movie, I guess I had forgotten about it till now.

17. ryanof1

Sep 8, 2000
    Qui Gon says "Anakin! Drop!" In TPM.

18. DarthPreston

DarthPreston Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    People, please, your looking far too into this. It is QuiGon saying "anakin! anakin! NOO!"

Now, the "nooo!" doesnt sound very much like Liam , true. BUT it was intended to be Liam. He is terribly upset because HE was the one who got Anakin trained and had soo much faith in him. And here he is slaughtering a whole camp of tusken raiders. How could you NOT understand why he was yelling "NOO!!"? Its suppose to be quigon, they just didnt have a sound exert of LIam shouting "NOOO!" so they went with something close. WHich, i know, doesnt really sound like Liam at all. Tis one of the many strange fix ups by Lucasfilm.

Preston

19. albyjam

albyjam Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    You freaks. Read the book; it's Qui-gon. Just because you didn't see him the TPM disappear into the great beyond doesn't mean he didn't - he did. So, watching over Anakin do a dirty deed freaked him as he tried to influence Ani by screaming at him from the great beyond. Let Qui-gons be Qui-gons.

20. suineme

suineme Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    you can tell by the poor audio editing, it doesn't sound natural. but where is it from?

I think it's safe to say that Lucas didn't "fudge" that part of the audio. It is clearly meant to sound that way. He is telling us SOMETHING. but what?

Incidentally, was anyone else kind of creeped out by that weird robot that was in that room with the geonisians? the one that had to change its voice to talk. Yuck.

21. Only_2

May 21, 2002
    Ok, I was off about the TPM quote, It is "Anakin! Drop!"

but the NOOOOOOOOOOO! is definitely not Liam Neeson, or at least if it is it was made to sound not like him for a reason. And no, I'm not looking too into this. This might explain why Qui-Gon doesn't disappear like the other Jedi when he dies.

Ben Burtt is one of the foremost sound designers / engineers in the history of Cinema, and has done the sounds and voice for all the Star Wars films.

He's used sounds in the other movies in the series to send messages or tie things together. I could give you a list, but I'd be here all night. Trust me on this one, there's meaning in this somewhere....

22. The_KGB

May 21, 2002
    the one that changed his voice to talk is probably the one responsible for building a suit for Vader to keep him breathing and talking.

23. Only_2

May 21, 2002
    what I meant by poor editing is that, it was Obvious that it was supposed to sound like someone else, which makes it sound unnatural. They wanted it to stick out. which in traditional movie sound editing is kind of a no-no. it's supposed to sound natural, but this is Star Wars, who's to say what's natural or not.

24. suineme

suineme Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    I dont remember Vader's breath at the end of that moment. I think if it IS there, then that mechanical "Noooooo " we hear is the future, I think. Nothing specific- I mean we dont hear "noooo" anywhere else in the series- but I would bet you a dollar to donuts that it's Hayden's voice, with a mechanical sound to it. I think Yoda is hearing the "shoe drop" on Anakin's turn to the dark side, and all that comes with it- becoming more machine than man, etc.

My official take on this is that you hear Qui Gonn's voice first... maybe he is warning Anakin, crying out to him from who knows where.

The "Nooooooo" you hear is Anakin himself, probably in great pain as he loses all sense of himself and becomes Darth Vader. The voice sounds mechanical... and then ends with the infamous breath. I think this is as good as any explanation.

25. Master_Siphadius

Master_Siphadius Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    I agree it doesn't sound like Qui-gon,it would make more sence if it were anakin,that would be why Yoda senced Anakins Pain NOOooo!
    or perhaps it was Qui-gon saying NOOooo!Whoever it was though, all I can say is that it gave me the eebee-geebees.(creepy stuff)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.