main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, it says Drizzt will be in all 6, though not to what extent - they might not all focus on him.

I don't care much for Entreri either... though him seeing Drizzt again would be interesting to say the least.

2. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I think he should expand his horizons. Drizzt is a fun character, but he's also written some really good character in other sections of the Realms.... True these crossed Drizzt's path, but I'd love to see him take on a new challenge when it comes to characters.

Drizzt as a 'mention' (like in the Baldur's Gate computer game) would be okay, I suppose, but I fear that everyone will read them expecting to see more of Drizzt and not give the new characters their due.

Don't get me wrong; I love Drizzt as a character - but something new and at a different angle from Bob would be fab.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    From what I've heard, Salvatore would rather write more Entreri books, but the publishers are pushing for more Drizzt. I believe they said that if Salvatore didn't keep writing Drizzt, then they'd let another author take over the character, and Salvatore (understandably) didn't really want that.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That seriously sucks. That's the problem with projects like this with many authors - they don't necessarily get to control their own stuff.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Obviously late to the party here (what's new for me, right?), but a buddy of mine from work recently lent me the Dark Elf Trilogy as I was looking for a new Author/world to read some Sci-Fi/Fantasy in ... and I loved it. Now, it wasn't great literature by any means, and it pretty much reads like a video game ... but that's ok. I wasn't looking for a pulitzer prize winning novel, I just wanted my imagination to be captured, there to be good action, there to be lovable characters, and a good introduction to a new world to get lost in.

After that I picked up and read through the first book of the War of the Spider Queen series (enjoyed it) and recently got and started book 2 from the library. And then, I found the Icewind Dale Trilogy at a local Half-Price Books and picked that up as well. I think I'm going to delay reading that until I finish at least book two of WoTSQ, and possible until I finish the entire series.

Like many of you, Drow culture intrigues me, but I'm guessing for entirely different reasons. I see a lot of the story and culture there as a (possibly unintentional) biting commentary on the modern church (albeit exaggerated for effect at times). To be honest, though, everything in the underdark was intriguing to me. I'm also on the look for other authors elsewhere in the Realms.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies were the best - and most seem to put Icewind Dale as their favorite.

Glad you're enjoying them, though :)

7. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "So now came 4E, and, imho, it was a blessing in disguise."

Anyone care to explain what the 4E is, and why it is such a good thing for the Drizzt series?

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Finished Path of Darkness and Passage to Dawn (think those are the titles). The seroes has gotten better again, though IMO Salvatore is good with the build-up and the final fight, but the ends of the books are usually really arupt (or at least, it seems that way to me).

9. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I still have yet to read Pirate King or Ghost King. I fell behind on my promise to keep up with them as they got released, so I'm still working up the energy to actually take them both on. It's been a while since I've picked up anything sci-fi or fantasy, sadly.

It's cool to hear of everyone still plugging away at the Drizzt series, though. I just read up in the thread where Salvatore would rather write more Entreri stuff. Honestly, I loved Entreri's character from Day One... I'd read the previous books in a pretty predictable rhythm: Drizzt stuff was immediate reading, sections with Entreri and Jarlaxle were close behind, and everyone else's parts were a good stopping point if I needed a break. :p

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hey, Trika's back!!

Does Jarlaxle keep coming back (after the quartet where they fight off the drow in Mithral Hall? He's a pretty interesting character. Actually, I really enjoy the drow, like Inty.

Entreri has the possibility to be totally badass, but something about him (or the way Salvatore presents him) takes some of the coolness away.

11. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Run fer yer lives! :p What's been goin' on, Nat?

You can catch Jarlaxle and Entreri in the Sellswords series, which starts with Servant of the Shard, so there's still more assassin goodness to be had in your future reading. Drizzt goes a different direction from the two, so it's sort of a stand-alone series yet still somewhat relevant in the whole scheme of things. Or not. Again, it does separate from the main series. :p

I do have to admit, Salvatore does have a way of bringing Entreri down a bit on the kick-butt scale... I still think he's cool, but it's like he's written to always be insanely jealous of Drizzt or something, constantly trying to prove his talent, which is not a favorable characteristic for readers to swallow all the time. Jarlaxle's never had that problem, in my mind, anyway. I think the two together are quite awesome, though. :cool:

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Not too much :D

I agree completely.

How many books are in the Sellswords? I have the Paths of Darkness quartet next, and it has Silent Blade, Spine of the World, Servant of the Shard and Sea of Swords.

13. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    When you get to Servant of the Shard, you're into Sellsword territory. Promise of the Witch-King and Road of the Patriarch finish out the trilogy. If you're like me, when you get to Spine of the World, you'll think, "WTH is this? Where is the regular gang?" It helps out in the long-run, though, to know what happens to all of the characters, even if they've split from wherever Drizzt is at that moment.

Then again, if you're just a fan of the whole series, it's just more great story from Salvatore! :p

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I haven't heard of those. My list is:

Paths of Darkness
    The Silent Blade
    The Spine of the World
    Servant of the Shard
    Sea of Swords

The Hunter's Blades Trilogy
    The Thousand Orcs
    The Lone Drow
    The Two Swords

Transitions Trilogy
    The Orc King
    The Pirate King
    The Ghost King (October 2009)

So I should stick those two after Sea of Swords, or after Servant of the Shard?

15. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    lol... you'd be safe putting them anywhere, actually. Since they stand alone, you can save them until the end or the end of the whole series or anywhere in between. Servant of the Shard starts them off, so just make sure you pass that one first before advancing onward. :p

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Maybe after I finish the quartet, then. I like reading stuff as chronilogically as possibly, and I don't want to get too sidetracked with Drizzt etc., but those four are coming in omnibus form :p

17. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I'm a fan of these. I've got up to The Pirate King which I need to read, and I need to get through Chaos Curse, and the trilogy starting with Servant of the Shard. (For some reason, I've not been able to get hold of the Ghost King yet, even though I keep looking for it and it's been out ages.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    After a (rather long, actually) break, I'm getting back to this series. Don't know why it is, but I get really into a few and then need a break 8-}

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice timing :p I should finish Homeland and start Exile tonight :)

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] What can I say, great minds think alike! :p

I like how I'm still stuck in the middle and you've already read them all, had a break, and are doing it again 8-}

21. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Well I'm still on The Halfling's Gem. I lost the book sometime in 09, joined the navy, then found it when I went home for leave over Christmas. I am reading it again though. :)

Evil.

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I had a bunch of these in Omni TPB and HC editions from SFBC. IF I didnt throw them all away from divorce and I find em I ll happily mail them to anyone that wants em...

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep :p

I haven't read the Transitions trilogy yet but have them now, so I'll read them when I get to that point :)

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Evil: [face_high_five]

JS: You don't want to read them? (Or have you already read them?)

RJ: :p

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive read most of Icewinddale story up until a giant Spider scene and I became burnt out. Im really not a Salvatore fan anyway so it wouldnt bother me to get rid of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.