main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Racial Double Standards

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Suzuki_Akira, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Can I say Anglo and negro as well? :confused:

This has seemed to turn a little more lighthearted and not so, "Get angry at the other person cuz he has a different opinion" type of debate. Which is better IMO.

2. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I can't speak for the Anglos, but you can say Negro, my brother.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rather than start a seperate thread about it, I'll post my thoughts here. I can't believe the utter hypocrisy that is being displayed by most of the U.S. media concerning Howard Dean's recent remarks. For those who don't know, Dean recently said that if Republicans wanted to have color in the room (referring to people of color), they would have to bring in the hotel staff. Beside setting the impression that my political party is compeltely white (there are plenty of Republicans who are minorities), but that all hotel workers are minorities. Now imagine if Rush Limbaugh, Bill Frist, Tom Delay, or Dennis Hasert had said these remarks; there would be a national firestorm! Democrats would demand their resignation & they would be constantly smeared throughout the & would be called racists. We all saw what happend to Trent Lott in the winter 0f 2002 when he had to step down has majority leader. But when a Democrat, who has just been selected as the new chairmamn of the DNC, makes misguided racial remarks, Democrats turn a blind eye. The ugly beast of Liberal hypocrisy has shown up again. :mad:

4. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Oh get off it. If you haven't released politics is drenched in the utmost worst of hypocrisy than you've got serious problems, it's certainly not a liberal thing.

Personally, I didn't find either comment offensive, neither the Dean comment or the Lott comment. I think Lott just got caught up in the moment of praising Strom and said some things that I'm sure he didn't even mean and only said them given the event. The Dean comment is funny to me, and there's a lot of truth to it. Didn't 80%+ of blacks vote for John Kerry? Which was even less than the percent for Gore? The Republican party just doesn't appeal to many black people, that's just the way it is. Is no one allowed to make a joke about it?

Also if you're claiming that the Trent Lott thing in any way mirrors what Dean said, well that's just silly. Although like I said neither comment I found to be offensive, I could at least see how people would take the Trent Lott comment. It sounded like an edorsement for segregation. On the other hand Dean's comment was merely commentary on the Republican party's lack of black voters. So one could be construed as endorsing racism and the other be construed as being a tasteless joke.

5. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    What Cyp said. I thought that everyone was making entirely too big a deal about what Lott said, but it was a statement that could be read in a certain, not-so-great way. What Dean said, on the other hand, was just plain funny, and while I didn't actually hear him say it, I can't believe that it can possibly be seriously thought to be anything other than a joke.

-Paul

6. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    What exactly did Lott say other than that that controversial Senator was a good guy? By the time I started paying attention to that particular event, all the facts were gone and all that remained was rhetoric.

7. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    For those who don't know, Dean recently said that if Republicans wanted to have color in the room (referring to people of color), they would have to bring in the hotel staff. Beside setting the impression that my political party is compeltely white (there are plenty of Republicans who are minorities), but that all hotel workers are minorities. Now imagine if Rush Limbaugh, Bill Frist, Tom Delay, or Dennis Hasert had said these remarks; there would be a national firestorm!

I agree here.

When Rush Limbaugh said that the NFL really wants a superstar black quarterback, he got lynched. Granted, he wasn't that great of a commentator, but what he said was true. The NFL would love it if a black QB would win the SB...it's about marketing. Was Donovan McNabb singled out? Yes he was, and that wasn't right. However, it's no worse than boxing wanting the "next great white hype." People love the underdog in general, and let's face it...until recently, the QB position has been domineered by the white player. Same with boxing...the champs have been predominantly black for several years.

Back to politics: Implying that there are no minorities as republicans is wrong, but the bigger crime here is stating that the hotel staff was all minority. Where does he get off saying that?

I'm surprised that "racial advocates" (for lack of a better term) like yourselves were not outraged by his statement.

What makes it any different than if I were to say, "All fast food workers are minorities?" It's not different, but if I had said that here, I would have been attacked.

Since it came from a politician, I guess it's ok.

[/sarcasm]

8. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Your last sentence pretty much summed it up. I was at school all this time and I didn't even hear any of that crap.

9. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    So did it make sense? :)

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Darth-Horax posted on 2/17/05 1:48pm
    Back to politics: Implying that there are no minorities as republicans is wrong, but the bigger crime here is stating that the hotel staff was all minority. Where does he get off saying that?

I'm surprised that "racial advocates" (for lack of a better term) like yourselves were not outraged by his statement.

What makes it any different than if I were to say, "All fast food workers are minorities?" It's not different, but if I had said that here, I would have been attacked.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    It's all about context. At least as far as I can make out from hearing it reported, it was plainly and obviously a joke. If he'd implied either in full seriousness, there might have been something more off a problem. But he was simply playing on stereotypes for humor. There's nothing wrong with that, so long as one isn't actually being serious about the allegations in question.

-Paul

11. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    Hey, I'm all for a good joke, and understand that he said it as one.

However, if I were to come out and say, 'yeah, the last time I got a tan was when I was surrounded by Mexicans at Taco Bell' (FOR EXAMPLE), that would be considered racist, would it not?

12. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    When Rush Limbaugh said that the NFL really wants a superstar black quarterback, he got lynched. Granted, he wasn't that great of a commentator, but what he said was true. The NFL would love it if a black QB would win the SB...it's about marketing. Was Donovan McNabb singled out? Yes he was, and that wasn't right. However, it's no worse than boxing wanting the "next great white hype." People love the underdog in general, and let's face it...until recently, the QB position has been domineered by the white player. Same with boxing...the champs have been predominantly black for several years.

1) A Black QB has already won the Superbowl.

2) Rush Limbaugh is obviously stupid seeing as how there were great black QBs before he made that comment about McNabb.

3) Boxing isn't looking for a "great white hype", they're looking for the "next great hype". There are no superstar heavyweights in boxing right now. They'll be happy with any superstar. Trust me.

4) Yes the QB position has ben mostly white. But that shouldn't make a perfectly fine black quarterback an underdog. If Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Byron Leftwich, Aaron Brooks, Jeff Blake, Shaun King, or Steve McNair were going up against another QB of equal skill, they shouldn't be made underdogs just cause of the color of their skin.

13. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    1) A Black QB has already won the Superbowl.

2) Rush Limbaugh is obviously stupid seeing as how there were great black QBs before he made that comment about McNabb.

3) Boxing isn't looking for a "great white hype", they're looking for the "next great hype". There are no superstar heavyweights in boxing right now. They'll be happy with any superstar. Trust me.

4) Yes the QB position has ben mostly white. But that shouldn't make a perfectly fine black quarterback an underdog. If Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Byron Leftwich, Aaron Brooks, Jeff Blake, Shaun King, or Steve McNair were going up against another QB of equal skill, they shouldn't be made underdogs just cause of the color of their skin.

1) Remind me of who it was...I honestly can't remember.
    2) He never said that there WEREN'T any great black QB's, I mean look at Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham. He simply said from a MARKETING standpoint the NFL hopes that it can focus on a great black QB.
    3) They're always looking for a great white hype. Don't you follow boxing? Every since Jack Dempsey there has not been a solid white competitor. There's even a movie named, "The Great White Hype."
    4) Where did you come up with the idea that they are being made underdogs because of hteir skin color? That was never mentioned, and if you can't provide solid proof, then you're pulling this out of nowhere in particular and is a stupid comment. Where do you come up with these things?

EDIT: I see where you pulled that from. I stated that people love the underdog. OK, you misinterpreted what I was saying, and I apologize for that. People just naturally love the underdog. Who can't say that the Eagles were underdogs against the Pats...and largely due to McNabb vs. Brady as a QB? I like McNabb a lot more than Brady, but I knew Brady was the better QB in THIS situation.

14. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I personally see something fishy with looking for a "Great White Hype"

But that's the same fishiness I see with looking for a "Great Black Quarterback"...

15. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    I agree.

I was just making the point that Rush got blasted for making a statement about marketing, while Dean didn't get blasted for saying only minorities work in the hotel industry.

Both were wrong, I was just making a point.

Suzuki, you need to ask that hottie out.

I want pix!

16. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    1) Remind me of who it was...I honestly can't remember.
    2) He never said that there WEREN'T any great black QB's, I mean look at Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham. He simply said from a MARKETING standpoint the NFL hopes that it can focus on a great black QB.
    3) They're always looking for a great white hype. Don't you follow boxing? Every since Jack Dempsey there has not been a solid white competitor. There's even a movie named, "The Great White Hype."
    4) Where did you come up with the idea that they are being made underdogs because of hteir skin color? That was never mentioned, and if you can't provide solid proof, then you're pulling this out of nowhere in particular and is a stupid comment. Where do you come up with these things?

1) Doug Williams
    2) By saying that the NFL hopes for a great black QB, he's saying that there haven't been any great black QBs. At least that's what I got out of it.
    3) I was just making a joke on boxings current state.
    4) I guess I misinterpreted what you said. But thanks for clearing it up.

17. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    I've completely blocked Doug Williams out of my mind as he was not a real QB...neither was Timmy Smith, who ran for a SB record that game...he's not a real RB.

In fact, that wasn't a real game. My Broncos really won, and have only lost 2 Super Bowls.

Thanks for the memory jog...and I did get your joke. :)

18. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Seriously though, that was a rookie RB wasn't it? That's just sad for Denver.

19. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    Totally sad.

Yes he was a rookie, and he never played again, really.

If memory serves, he only had a total 32 yards going into the Super Bowl. He was a backup because both the starting QB and RB were injured.

There's one play that would have turned it around, though. When the Denver D sacked Doug Williams, Rulon Jones scooped up the ball and ran in for a TD that would have changed the score at the half. Instead, they said that Williams was down (replays showed his knee was NOT down before he dropped the ball). They gave the ball back to Washington, and they went on to score a TD on that drive, which completely took Denver out of the game.

I protest that victory.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Washington still scored 35 points in one quarter.

But let's get this back on topic.

21. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I'm bumping this because similar discussion has arisen on another board, and I'd like people to be able to debate it here if they so choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.