main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RE: After the D trailer, should this forum disallow all new information on AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jazzatola, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Firm, but fair :)

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Having "official" discussion threads for collectibles and such is a good solution; and probably would have make a better question then "disallow all new information" because it doesn't scare the neither 100% spoiled or unspoiled that their Force-given right to discuss SW will be taken away.

Again, I want to stress to the general public the need to show some manners on the NS forums. "Official" information is a good thing, but some people want to be very selective about what they know. On the other hand, some want like things like trailers and "Insider" articals because it's building the antici....pation ("Rocky Horror" reference) for the release date.

Will anything disclosed at Celebration II be considered "spoiler?"

3. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...you can change my vote to other if you are going to make an official spoilers thread...

...and for the record...i may stay away from official spoilers as well...but when i voted i didnt think it was right to take away anyones right to choose...ability to choose...

4. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I went with yes. The less amount of info I know about this movie, the better. I don't read the TFN front page or SW.com, so if it wasn't in the trailers, I probably don't know about it. I'd like to keep it as close to that as possible.

5. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    By all means, YES!

I watched the trailer, wasnt much that I haven't already been spoiled about. But most of those were things that I didn't WANT to be spoiled about.

There are gonna be a lot of newbies that will test the limits as they are now. There are so many opinions about what is/isn't a spoiler. A official lockdown on all new info would help, so that we don't have to rely on the descretion of each individual poster.

After all, these boards are here for those who don't want to know anything before May16th. A lot of people come here because they are avoiding the OF and TF.N pages, but still want to talk speculation.

Oh, and Yes to a poster thread. I think having "***Official such-and-such Discussion***" threads have helped me avoid stuff I am avoiding, plus it gives a spot to the semi spoiler-free to talk.

(Hehe, I'm back... briefly.)

6. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    One more thing. I don't see why Non-Spoiler people should have to avoid the Non-Spoiler forum, as many of us have choosen to do.

I have been spoiled about some things, but I never felt like I should be free to discuss those things here. Nor do I go to the SF to talk about them. I am just dealing until the movie is released and we are all equally spoiled ;) . I can completely understand why some people would want to avoid that info, and I always assumed these boards were created for them. I enjoy coming here and speculating on the film without anyone arguing that they know otherwise. I have (almost ;) ) left only because of troll problems.

I think if official information was limited to specifically labeled threads and it was understood by all that those were the only threads that such info was allowed, it would work fine. I'm afraid, though, that anyone who is new and unaware of this vote/debate and the decisions made might read that thread and mistakenly believe that such subjects are allowed in the rest of the forum. Maybe a test run for the rest of March to see if that can be prevented or controlled would help.

BTW cbjedi, I think it was a great idea to open this decision up to the population of the boards.

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    There are still one or two major plot points that are probably unknown to the spoiler free folks. I say keep it as is.

8. JediLynx

JediLynx Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 2, 2000
    Definately yes. The whole point of being unspoiled is to aviod information that will reveal the plot of the new movie. I don't care if it is a spy or GL himself that says "Darth Maul will be back to kill Padmé", it's still a spoiler and I don't want to know. So far we've been able to trust the official sources not to give away too much of the plot, but now as we are approaching May the information released has increased with frightening speed.

This comes as no surprice as the situation was exactly the same three years ago. Before TPM was released you could figure out almost the entire movie simply by looking around at the OS and buying the soundtrack. And, IMHO, things are actually worse this time around.

I like the idea of having one or two clearly marked threads where the officially released information can be discussed. As long as this is moderated well, I think it could work.

"There are still one or two major plot points that are probably unknown to the spoiler free folks. I say keep it as is."

As I have stated above, the whole point of being unspoiled is that you don't want to know any major plot points. I find it pretty scary that you think that there are only one or two major plot points that we don't already know about. And if we keep things as they are we will no doubt know those too before the premiere. If, OTOH, we stop here, those two plot points will still be unknown to us. For me the choice is easy.

BTW, and what about the novelisation? I don't believe you've said anything about that, cb. :p
    (Sorry.)

9. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    How's the voting at this stage?

10. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Doesn't matter. I'm leaving any forum that discusses AOTC anyway.

11. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    I voted for yes. :)

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    A decent compromise would be to label every thread as either HCSF or Official Spoilers in the title.

13. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    What would HCSF stand for?

-JWAC

14. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    ah, did we ever decide if the holonetnews.com site was "official" or not?

-JWAC

15. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, I don't mean to sound pushy, but whatever changes that are to be made should probably happen soon. If there is to be an "Official Trailer" thread or "Official Poster" thread, it should probably be done and explained quickly. There are already a lot of new threads about both. I know everyone has other stuff to worry about, but we are already in "after D trailer" territory. If a lot of threads get rolling and then closed, there are gonna be a lot of frustrated people.

16. Dom

Dom Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2000
    I voted yes, in support of the people I know here who truly want to remain unspoiled (I left the SA only last fall and hardly qualifies myself).

The official site info is really interesting exciting this time around but it's for those who like to know a lot about a movie before it comes out. Don't get fooled by the fact it's official, this time around the OS has released more information about this movie than any other movie site ever released. There's only so much info about a two hour movie you can reveal before some of it falls into the spoiler category for a lot of people, and the OS has definitely passed this limit by now.

At this point, following everything from the OS is almost as if you've read a summary of all chapters before starting a book, and the release rate of new information is accelerating with the new "holonetnews" feature and all. LFL devoted its internet efforts this time to the more "SA" part of its fanbase. The only source of truly "spoiler-free" info from LFL is the SW Insider which remained much more circumspect in the extent and nature of the information it published.

At least, the big fans of the OS that intend to dissect what it releases till the end should do it in devoted threads, IMHO. It's not bad to be excited about all the OS info, but it's hardly spoiler-free anymore.

17. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    I voted "Yes" even though I just wandered over to this forum today.

...and I've already broken the rules by discussing the poster. But, you'll be hard pressed to avoid the poster. You will see it before you enter the theater right?

..and how will you avoid those AOTC icons that are floating around on these boards. You can't ban them can you? I'm somewhat spoiler free and there are some of these Icons that I have no clue as to what they are. I mean who's that yellow faced girl up there on the left of my screen. I don't know, and I don't wanna know.

18. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    Yes-
    I personally have not and will not see the trailer. I understand there are a lot of people who feel they can stay spoil free and view Official releases, but I don't feel that way.

I don't want to know anymore than what was said in the OT. The less I know walking in to the movie the better.

Now afterwards, after I've seen it, I'll be reading the book and looking for any and all further info.

19. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't know if this counts, but on behalf of the thoroughly spoiled, I voted for "Yes." You guys now know just about as much as you can and still walk into the theater to find yourselves pleasantly surprised. Any more, and you'll be screwed. You should cut the apron strings now.

20. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Up.

Please vote and post every one. This is a big decision.

21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
  22. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    The spoilers should not be left out at all totally. I don't want everything but I don't want nothing! A few yes but to stop everything no.

23. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I'm the lone maggot who chose choice three :p

But really, I think you guys are doing alright. Just have reports checked out before you talk about them.
    I mean, do you really not want to be able to talk about the little things that may come up?
    Course, it's not my board, so the heck with me ;)

24. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    I think we could cut off new info and still have plenty to talk about. ANH was released 25yrs ago and we still find plenty about it to discuss.

I think we should give it a try and eliminate all new info. If it works out, great. If not, we can always lift the ban. The info isn't gonna disappear if we don't talk about it immediately.

25. T-burcio

T-burcio Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    I voted no. I think that everything is working well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.