main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Red Harvest or Deathtroopers. Which should I read first?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Honestly, I would read Death Troopers first, then Red Harvest. Death Troopers was the introduction of horror to the Star Wars universe and Red Harvest was a follow-up prequel of sorts. Both are decent reads, but then again, I am a fan of the original trilogy and will always choose the original over a prequel. ;)

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    For what it's worth, Death Troopers was my brother's introduction to EU. He's since read Allegiance and Death Star and has been clamoring for more.

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Definitely read Death Troopers, and listen to the audiobook of Red Harvest.

The Taken quote is bad. I don't mind Han and Chewie one bit, people say that their introduction into the story lets you know that they're the people who are definitely going to get out and it spoils the tension; I would disagree with that, and say that it helps the book. We know the they're going to make it out, sure, but because of the way horror works, we're not sure anyone is going to get out, which in my mind makes me care about no one. If we know that Han and Chewie can get out, well, they might just be able to take some people with them.

The Life Day thing is priceless.

4. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I think the main reason the Taken lines stick out is... its what Taken is known for. This was the iconic scene of the movie. It was used in all of the trailers, the way Liam says it - it burns it in your head, its been parodied by all kinds of different sources (House, Family Guy, Simpsons, American Dad, South park, The Soup, etc.), so to find it pop-up basically word-for-word in a SW novel that already included a fair number of Earth references, and is just a bad novel overall, just.... it makes you want to throw things into fires; namely the book itself.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  5. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Had to get at least one back-handed barb in after being reprimanded huh?

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's because I like you. :)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Red Harvest provides a better feel of "a Star Wars story interrupted by a zombie outbreak" in that it develops a lot more characters (at least a few that are sympathetic) and has a few rather creative uses of zombie species variants.

It also provides what one could describe as the perspective of the virus itself, which is not really provided in Deathtroopers.

Deathtroopers, meanwhile, is pretty much a "Star Wars Zombie Story" from start to finish- you don't feel like another series of events is being affected by the outbreak, the whole setup is for a zombie scenario. It doesn't give you that POV insight, though.

So, if you read DT first, RH expands on certain aspects that DT didn't touch on. If you read RH first, you'll have a vague notion of the origin of events and will have context to imagine the RH perspective occurring around the events of DT, even if the text of DT doesn't directly present them.

8. oscar8192

oscar8192 Jedi Padawan

Jun 19, 2011
    Obviously read Red Harvest first as it takes place thousands of years before. And ignore what others say, you should definitely read both.

9. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    I agree with this. I didn't think the cameo was needed.

I didn't find the books were that gruesome, but I grew up watching movies like Dawn of the Dead. I cringed while reading Crucible more than I did in Red Harvest or Death Troopers due to violence.

I was a little confused about the Agriculture Corps. I thought that is where Jedi rejects went. Of course, I suppose if a Jedi had a talent with communicating with planets they could send a full Jedi to the AC to overlook operations.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep the AC seems to actually be run by full Jedi that feel an especially strong connection to nature.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Red Harvest was way better than Deathtroopers imo. Hestizo was such a pain in Red Harvest but the story was amazing. Deathtroopers was alright but not great.

12. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    It doesn't matter which order you read them in as they are pretty effecive standalone novels. I don't get why so many people hate these books as they are actually quite entertaining compared to some other recent EU novels.

13. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    I admit that really pulled me out of the moment. It was something a fanfiction writer may write...but that is forgivable for fanfiction. I wish that part was removed. Or toned it down a little so it wasn't almost word-by-word.