main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...wait who's Lord Vader ravishing?

cthugha and CooperTFN like this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Palpatine.

Zorrixor and RC-1991 like this.
  3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Now, that I think we would notice.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    A velvet caress in an invincible glove. ;)

But that astonishingly delightful image aside... yes, I would very much hope that TFU III features Vader's "I'm going to be my own Trojan Horse" plan coming to fruition. Even better if Vader is destroying a particularly massive Rebel base and it's basis of the entire game, rather than just a prologue. :p

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Coming soon....

Star Wars: Episode XXX

Zorrixor and Bib Fartuna like this.
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Considering what next-gen hardware might be capable of... just imagine the glorious physics. Rebel bodies, flying in every direction, the ability to Force push through walls. Vader triumphantly marching into the bases main hangar bay, mowing them down as they run for their X-Wings, smashing the few that get to the air with the Force.

Such a patriotic image.

Anyway, I actually think it might be a good idea to have TFU III alternate between playing as Starkiller and playing as Vader. If that doesn't work (say you only want Vader to be playable at the beginning and, possibly, the end), you can alternate between the two clones. Myself, I love the idea of the two clones joining forces at the end, and the final boss fight being the player controlling Vader fighting both Starkiller's. Could it be anticlimactic to switch to the villain at the end? Perhaps. Do I care? Not at all. If the storytelling is handled well, it could even be rather poignant.

Zorrixor, tjace and Ulicus like this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It would also explain why Vader's blocked it from his memory by ANH.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I think we'll get a new Darth Maul comic where you see his adventures during his 10 years on Lotho Minor.

Think of it...

"Spider-Maul - He's ****in nuts"

Zorrixor and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm still holding out for the big reveals that the "Dark Apprentice" is the *real* Starkiller, and Juno Eclipse is Shira Brie in a blonde wig and the *real* secret apprentice. :p

10. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    ...okay, in a dubious attempt to be serious, I'll say that I'm guessing the "huge" part of this will be the talent not the topic.

It's clearly not going to be Ep VII-related, they've got ongoings at both ends of their continuity, doing the "dawn of time" and "far-flung future" thing, they just brought back their fan-favourite hit comic in Legacy, and they've got a big name, stripped down "classic" tale going in Star Wars too. Sure they could do stuff like the founding of the Republic, or bring back KOTOR or tout returning to the movie characters as a Return to Basics, but I don't think any of those would top the announcements and series of the past year to a degree that is "huge".

The one thing they haven't done much of recently has been the PT. Which is possibly a blessing given the continuity flux.

So I guess those are my picks. Big name writer or artist, or something big and bold in the prequel era.

You read it here first. Alan Moore's coming back to tell the tale of how Fives was one of the Stormtroopers thrown back in time by Splendid Ap, only to find he had also been made mechanical, and survived 8,000 years only to be killed by his brothers.

Barriss_Coffee, Ulicus and cthugha like this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Star Wars was a big announcement in its way because of the involvement of Brian Wood, so I could see another series by a prominent author qualifying as big news.

Brian Michael Bendis seems to release 17 issues a week...

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If wishes were fishes and fishes were Mon Cals, I would hope for the following series:
    1. ACKBAR VS PELLAEON (cause, I always request this. 10 years running strong!)
    2. Founding of the Republic
    I would be one happy Mon Cal...err... human.

--Adm. Nick

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It occurs to me that Tom Taylor doesn't have anything on the SW slate just now.

14. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    True, though he is currently writing the truly execrable Injustice: Gods Among Us weekly digital video game tie-in comic for DC. I have no idea how much of his time that takes up. I also don't think he's a big enough name to qualify as big news all on his own, so if it is him, it'll be the topic that's big news.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This should be interesting to know. Just hope we don't get let down like with the Maul book

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I was going to mention that, but it occurred to me that many comic writers juggle a ridiculous number of books at once (Bendis seems to be writing the entire Marvel line), so it might not be a problem.

Is the Injustice comic that bad? I'm looking forward to the game, and was hoping for at least an interesting prequel in the comic.

17. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Well I thought the game looked gorgeous too, which is why I checked out the comic last week. I dislike it because it throws together a bunch of violent, lazy tropes that feel like a grab-bag of previously done DC stuff, except instead of feeling like an homage or retread (which is part of why I often like DC's constantly-retelling-the-same-stuff-style), it just feels like cheap shock value. And telegraphed to the point I can't even tell you which tropes and comics are being ripped off or you'd know the entire bloody first issue plot.

(I'm aware these are ironic comments considering I defend the guy's writing on Invasion, which I still do. A charitable interpretation would be that there wasn't much he could do with the brief - because like I said I like the look of the game, but how do you...not lamely or sensationalistly write DC heroes into that situation? - so he tried to rip off iconic images and plotlines for a sense of stability, but I'm not really feeling very charitable about it and DUDE, pretty much anything would have been less sensationalist and lame than this.)

...possibly I dislike it a little.

As to his workload, he's probably be fine for another book if he was writing comics full-time. The weekly issues are shorter than monthlies, but it's still more than a single book in terms of workload, I think. Full-time comic writers often handle three or four books a month. I think I remember a recent Snyder interview where he said for a while he was writing five and that was a bit many. I know that Wood in recent Star Wars interviews talks about six books being an incredibly heavy workload. I think that 3 - 4 is normal.

But like I said, that's if Taylor doesn't have other gigs going on either in or out of comics.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My expectations are now for a "Birth of the Republic" comic series... :(

Quick, someone, lower my expectations!

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Darth Vader and the Shrinking Margins.

I generally could give a crap about most DC, and I specifically could give a crap about that game, but I'm enjoying Tom's comic. Like you said - there's only so many ways to maneuver the entire universe into this particular premise. As long as it's entertaining, and it is, I'm not especially concerned about tropes. Especially when the DC universe is a living, breathing cliché factory to begin with.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It occurs to me that J. Jonah Jameson Jackson Miller doesn't have any SW comics on his slate just now.

Just saying.

Zorrixor, cdgodin, tjace and 2 others like this.
  21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Stop raising my expectations! Besides didn't John Jaxxon Miller say he's busy writing original stuff for a while?

OR NOT! Just found this from http://farawaypress.com/: "I've been writing my fingers off so far in 2013, hence the shortage of posts here. But there's something new coming down the pike very shortly, and I expect to be able to make the announcement soon. Stay tuned..." Could be Star Wars, could be not.

Now you will all be surprised when they announce Darth Maul 2: Maul Harder.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Maul Hard: With a Vengeance and Live Free or Die Maul will probably be better.

--Adm. Nick

Zeta1127 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    A Good Day to Maul Hard.

Well, we know he just finished the manuscript for Kenobi, so if the announcement is something of his, I would guess the actual product is a little ways off.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    DodgeMaul: A True Underdog Story

Zorrixor and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Imperial Commando 2: The Return of Mauldalore.