main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republican gerrymandering

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Ewan, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    First there was the 2000 election (and I can post plenty of evidence, if you insist, proving that Gore won.) But, I'm not here to debate that, or the recall of Gray Davis. But it does seem that they are both part of an attempt by Republicans to grab more power for themselves, and never let it go. The latest tactic is Congressional redistricting. Under the Constitution, this is to happen ONCE every ten years, in accordance with the Census. It was done in Texas after the 2000 elections, but done by a panel of judges. However, after the 2002 elections, the Republicans decided not to accept the current map, even though it was perfectly constitutional. In Texas, and now in other states, where the 2000 redistricting has already been done, Republicans are decided to do it twice this decade, simply to give themselves more seats, and, they hope, avoid ever being voted out of office, by making sure that any districts that could oust them are latched onto more conservative districts. (For example, Austin is a very liberal city, but is now in the same district as conservative Houston and several other cities that are nowhere nearby.)

V-03 EDIT: This more properly fits into the elections thread, so I am going to lock it. Feel free to bring up this point there :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.