main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Sith reviews

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by ondiv, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm guessing that most everyone has seen the movie now.
    If you haven't, get out of this thread, log off of your computer, go to your nearest theatre and SEE IT.

I've been talking to a lot of people who saw the movie getting their thoughts/feelings/opinions and I'm just wondering what everyone in the FF thought!
    *side note*(Geoff, thank you so much for a bite of your pizza! That helped me so much!)*/side note*

I liked it. I cried three times. I am so happy that I went in (mostly) spoiler free because there were things that I never saw coming that I know I wouldn't have enjoyed as much had I known about them before hand.
    I'm going to have to watch it again though because I was so pissed off that George didn't answer my ONE big question: Leia remembers her mother...when and how does Padme' die? (and to those who saw the movie, you know why I'm upset that my question wasn't answered. It is even bigger now!!!)
    Loved Vader's transformation!! The Ani vs Obi fight was the greatest, most emotional fight ever!
    I now have a new out look on the saga and a lot of sympathy for Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. I can't wait until it is out on DVD and I can watch all 6 back to back. I have decided that the way I'll watch them is 1-6 and not 4-3 like I had originally planned.
    Beautiful music, John Williams is a modern day Mozart.
    Awesome CGI, the best ever.
    Dialogue, eehhhh....it was a Lucas movie.
    Most favorite part: When Padme' is looking towards the building that Anakin is in, and in turn he is looking towards her building...not a speck of words but the emotion and beauty of that scene said more than any other part of the movie in my mind.
    I give it a 4.7 out of 5 stars.

2. Jowebee17

Jowebee17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Incredible...if I were to put it in one word.

I agree that the birthing scene needed a little more. All there was was Padme blurting out the childrens names. I did think they did a good job with the babies even looking like Leia and Luke though.

Very emotional film...start to finish. Definitely a trajedy as Lucas had stated. I found myself really torn as to what Anakin should have done and did do. But it played out well to the fact that he acted out of emotion which is of course very Sith-Like. And the temple assault scenes-very disturbing.

Dialogue and Acting....poor..sorry.
    Although I thought Ian was great up until he fought Mace, and then I think there was some bad scenes with him as the Emperor.

CGI..I'm not a big fan..things looked more "real" the old-style with models and on-location shooting.

Overall my favorite person in this one had to be Obi-Wan. What a stud! He cared about his friend but had to do what had to be done.

Music was incredible as always. I will agree with Ondiv's statement about Williams.

Of course at this point I have only seen the film twice. Some of my opinions may change after I have seen it a few more times.....

4.5 out of 5 Stars (keeping with Ondiv's ranking system)

3. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    The only thing I knew going into the movie was Padme's fate and Ani turning into Darth Vader.

I do agree that the temple scene was very disturbing, I didn't cry but I came close.

I have some questions though about Grevious(sp? don't really care, not feeling well and lack of sleep does that to you) but that can be answered in the books I think.

I found it more enjoyable than the first 2 and didn't mind seeing it again a few hours later.

not that knowledgeable about movies and things like that so I won't be picky.

I'd give it a 4.8 out of 5.

4. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I have some questions though about Grevious(sp? don't really care, not feeling well and lack of sleep does that to you) but that can be answered in the books I think.
    For the most part you get answers (to an extent) in the second season of Clone Wars. What is with that cough? Watch Clone Wars to find out!!

5. WINDSTORM

WINDSTORM Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    Erin, you've already gotten my reaction from this movie. But, I'll say it here as well just in case anyone else wants to step up and go against the grain.

We already knew that the opening crawl was horrible. Most people have been complaining about it since it was first posted. Well, it didn't change.

We start off with a spectacular view of two starships rushing through space. This was my first clue that I wasn't going to be happy about the film.

Some of the dialogue here was a little corny but what we didnt see was any reason to care for the troops that were being blown up. A moment from Anakin saying he was going to help. But thats it. Already here I'm becoming unemotionally attached to the characters.

Inside the the Greivous ship. The lack of John Williams score hurt this part of the picture deeply. I was actually yearning for it. But instead I got R2D2's new gimmicks. Not impressed.

On the brighter side. At this point I'm impressed with the CGI. Nothing seems to be over the top and therefor I'm not getting distracted from the story.

Until we hit the fight between Dooku/Anakin/Obi. Dooku enters and CGI flips. Lucas... you're a moron. It hasn't worked yet. It's still not working. Good luck when you mess it up on the TV show too.

Enjoying the connection between Ewan and Hayden as they play there roles. Not so much Master and Pupil but friends.

Then here we go again with CGI Obi Wan being thrown across the deck. And the walkway falling on him. If that happened he'd be crushed. But of course, it didn't really fall on him cause Anakin easily pulls him from under the walkway after he kills Dooku. So why have him do it. Cause it looks cool. But it makes the story cheap.

Ok. Now we are crashing into the planet. Great time for an intense scene. Right? No. Sure they are Jedi, but come on. Anakin is supposed to be the jedi thats breaking all the rules. Let him break this one.. he's got his two best friends on a ship with him. Just let him feel a little pressure, huh?

Tension between the Jedi and the Chancellor, great set up.

Almost the very next scene. I love you Anakin. No, I love you Padme. No I love you Anakin. Same problem in Episode 2. Sure, Lucas you're telling us what they are supposed to feel. Show us. This was a rediculous scene that had no purpose. It kills me to say this because I think Natalie is one of the best actresses out there. I love to watch her.

We get into the plot. The manipulation of Anakin Skywalker. First we see the premonition of Padme dying. You didn't show it in Clones with his mother. You didn't show it in Empire when Luke saw Leia and Han being tortured. Why show it here. This urked me.

We see how Lucas intends to show us that Anakin can't see how he is being manipulated. Until Palpatine presents the information of how to prevent death. I liked how Lucas had Anakin ready to jump Palpatine. And then his conversation with Mace. Good suspense.

Until the fight. I guess Sam Jackson didn't go out like a total punk. Like the first three Jedi. But belive me, Sam got Punk'd. Sure arm cut off and electo-shocked off the balcony. Fine. So he died a hard death. But it was careless. One of the most astute Jedi on the council and he couldn't see Anakins struggles. He wouldn't listen to what was going on. He couldn't ask why Anakin needed Palpatine alive? Sam you got punk'd not because you didn't have a good death but because Lucas made you an idiot.

I agree with Erin. One of the best moments in the movie was Padme looking across to the Jedi Temple while Anakin looked across to the Chancellor's office. No dialogue... great moment.

The attack on the Jedi temple. Awesome. Not to graphic, but enough to show that Anakin has turned bad.... hold up... wait a second... Anakin turned bad... this was too easy a turn.. too little manipulation.. Anakin is the most powerful jedi in the galaxy. There's no real reason he should take the knee in front of palpatine that quickly. This I blame on episode one and two... instead of what we got we should have seen more of Anakins acse

6. Jowebee17

Jowebee17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    That's quite a review there Tye. At least it's honestly stated. I fortunately did not go into this movie being over-technical about anything. That allowed me to just enjoy it as a movie and to finish the story of Anakin's downfall. I knew after seeing TPM that things "technically" were headed in a bad direction. So it was nice for me at least to go into this not expecting a masterpiece in all areas.

You still have to admit that overall Lucas's vision is incredible. *comment edited out* I still think the man is a legend in the field, and a man to be well respected world-wide. And after-all this is his creation, his vision, and for the most part he did it his way.

Don't know if anyone noticed or not, but they did change the position of Vader's arms when he is on the table being put into the suit. I wonder if that was indeed do to fans complaining about it originally looking "silly" or "weird". -just a side thought.

7. Jedi-Baby

Jedi-Baby Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2005
    After all of the hype I heard about how great the movie was I was very dissapointed.

The temple scene was a bit more than disturbing. The fight scenes dragged out for too long. It was a bit slow in some parts. Dialogue was definitley lacking, but as stated above, it is a lucas film.

I would have to give it a 3 out of 5.

**Yoda fighting was the best part of the movie. And Jar Jar was in the movie!!!!!

8. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    Being as spoiled as I was, I still was surprised about some things.

Obi Wan being a stoway as Padme went to find Anakin.

Yoda knows Chewbacca

And the acting and dialog was better then I thought.

I did think most of the lightsaber battles moved so fast that I couldn't really tell what was happen and sometimes that was due to too close of a shot.

Loved The Duel, and Yoda's confrontation with Palpatine.

About Leia's memories, she said in ROTJ. "Just images really, feelings." Many people think this could just be the force. This really is now my favortie Star Wars movie. Which replaces A New Hope. Speaking of which the ending of ROTS mirroring Luke looking out at the sunset was very very cool.

4.5 out of 5

9. LordTater

LordTater Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    Before watching the movie, I had seen both seasons of 'Clone Wars' and read the first chapter of the book (which set up the movie very well).

I was confused by Obi-Wan's fighting ability... He easily defeats Grievous and handles Anakin quite well, yet when it comes to Dooku it's almost as if he'd never fought with a lightsaber before.

I thought that Grievous was a great addition, but I did get a sense of Deja-Vu (anyone else reminded of Darth Maul's highly anticipated bit part?).

I did hope to see Vader for more than just 30 seconds. It would have been nice to see him use his lightsaber a bit.

As for the Leia thing, I just look at it this way... Luke asks Leia about her 'real' mother. As far as she knows the Queen of Alderaan is her real mother. She answers Luke with memories of her, not Amidala.

I give this movie a 4 out of 5.

10. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    "As for the Leia thing, I just look at it this way... Luke asks Leia about her 'real' mother. As far as she knows the Queen of Alderaan is her real mother. She answers Luke with memories of her, not Amidala.

I thought about that too. But the way I see it, I doubt that Luke would have asked Leia if she remembered her real mother if she didn't know that The Queen of Alderaan was her adoptive mother.

11. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I put up a review on the fan films board, but I'll comment here too. I guess spoilers are OK? If not,

LOOK AWAY! WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!

I thought it was the best of the new trilogy, and had some solid moments, but not quite the masterpiece everyone has been raving about.

The Bad or at least the dumb

I laughed out loud when Padme said "Hold me. Hold me like you did on Naboo." As in AOTC it's like Lucas googled "romance" and just cut and pasted what he found.

I thought that it was dumb that Padme died. In Jedi, Leia tells Luke what she remembers about her mom. Just flashes, but that she was sad. Why would Organa's wife be so sad? They got to adopt a little girl like they always wanted! Their real mom would have been totally sad knowing the man behind the Vader mask.

I think the whole dream/Padme's death thing was just a quick way for Lucas to get Anakin to turn.

I don't really like the way Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship worked either. I never got the sense that they were "like brothers." Obi-Wan was always so condescending, and Anakin was always so "Whatever dude."

They should have made better use of the wookies. I think Chewbacca just stands there in the booth most of the time. I mean the ewoks got way better treatment, and Wookies are infinitely cooler than ewoks!

So the original death star took 17 years to complete, but the new one was opperational after only 2 or 3 three? Interesting.

I too wanted to see more of Vader. He's in all the advertising, and all we see is his "Noooooooooo!" and him staring out the window at the Death Star.

The Good

I agree the visuals were superb.

The emperor was pretty bad-A. The fight with Yoda was sweet.

It was horriffic when the youngling asks Master Skywalker what they can do, then...

The scene with Anakin and Padme looking out the window.

Jar Jar didn't say a word.

As y'all have said, Ewan McGregor was awesome!

The music. When the Organas sat down with Leia and her theme started playing - that's when I started getting a little choked up. It was just perfect. Of course after that I knew exactly what music would play when Obi-Wan got to Tatooine. ;)

Over all I'd give it 3.8-4.0 out of 5 for completing the story, but this whole trilogy just didn't have the same magic for me as the originals did.

Maybe because the originals started out showing us the new hope in the galaxy, not the 20 years down the road attempt to use special effects to tell an incongruent back-story.

12. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    The movie was better than I expected.
    btw, did everyone find George & all 3 of his kids in it?

13. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I think I found George Lucas. Was he the purple clad guy standing next to the door to Palpatine's theater seats when Anakin went to see him? And I'm pretty sure that his son was the young Jedi who took out some clonetroopers in front of Bail Organa. Not sure about his other kids though.

Did anyone see the Millennuim Falcon?

14. WINDSTORM

WINDSTORM Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    I just noticed something here.... under the subject line in fact... "RETURN of the Sith reviews"?????? come on Erin.

15. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    HA!! I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that I did that...teehee[face_laugh]

16. Jedi_Noghri

Jedi_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2004
    I noticed it right away, I just figured it was probably intentional so I didn't say anything.

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have to admit that I cried in five places: 1) opening crawl. 2) When Padme is looking out the window and Anakin's looking out the window in the Council chamber and both are just completely lost. 3) When Obi-Wan ignites his saber against Anakin on Mustafar. 4) "You were the Chosen One" speech--I didn't cry at this the first time, but the fifth time I saw ROTS, I just burst into tears there for some reason. 5) Closing credits.

Let's start with the opening crawl. I love the line "There are heroes on both sides." The conflict is very well-expressed in those few words.

The opening shot of the battle just had me absolutely floored by the intensity of it all. It was probably the most audacious Star Wars battle we've ever seen, Endor included.

I loved seeing Anakin/Obi-Wan in the position of wingmates because we finally got to see them taking care of each other and still having their intrinsic differences that rankle on each other. You can finally start to see the whole dynamic of "He was the best starfighter pilot in the Galaxy and he was a good friend" from ANH.

I thought Palpatine's looks while ANakin was crashing the Invisible Hand were rather hilarious. R2 keeps rambling on and he's giving him these looks like "I have Force-lightning, you twerp, will you SHUT UP!"

I hated the Anakin/Dooku duel. Admittedly "Good. Double the pride, twice the fall" was an excellent line for who I wished Dooku would be as a villain, but you're never really sure why Anakin bothers to kill him other than his personal cheerleader.

The scene where Anakin finds out he's going to be a father, with the very conflicted emotions and nervousness, was one of my favorites. The body language did it all for me.

I hated the hair-brushing scene, still am not sure why they put in such dumb dialogue.

What was with the Outer Limits take on dream sequences? Whatever happened to the style of the Dagobah cave test?

Is it just me or did the four Jedi sent to kill the Emperor not fight at all other than Mace Windu who got pwned by that brat he didn't want trained?

Palpatine creeped the SITH out of me! He would deliver these really chilling speeches and then give this little benevolent smile like "oh, aren't I cute?" If I didn't know who he would be and what Anakin would do for him, he totally would have wheedled me during the "Use my knowledge, I BEG you" bit. And he's so casually evil, which is so effective and so in keeping with ROTJ.

Funniest moments of seeing it a few times with different people: 1) My mom sitting in the theater, going, "So, does Anakin remarry if he's Luke and Leia's dad?" "No, mom, Padme's the mom." "But Leia said she died when...OH CRAP!" 2) My dad happily munching on his popcorn through the whole movie until the moment when Palpatine pulls up the hood and looks for the first time like ROTJ palpy and my dad yells "OMG, IT'S THAT GUY?!" 3) My friend Kyra, who has never been boy-crazy, watching the scene where Anakin's just had the first dream and when he puts on the robe, she screams "NO! TAKE IT OFF! TAKE IT OFF!"

Obi-Wan practically stole the show. Sure, the entire hexology is about Anakin's fall and redemption, but the person that I've gotten most emotionally involved with is Obi-Wan. He's the one who is so devoted to the Force that he has the weakness of inflexibility. He's wrong in saying that only Sith deal in absolutes, because for most of the PT, he has been the one to deal in absolutes--case in point Anakin wanting to go after Padme on Geonosis. The scene where he figures out that Anakin is Palpatine's new apprentice and realizes that he's going to have to be the one to take down the man he loved as a brother had me absolutely ready to bawl because it's the first time that we see someone other than Anakin with a severe moral conflict with himself. That conflict, however, is pretty much...well, it's not resolved, put it all but disappears the moment that Anakin attacks his wife. When Anakin screams "You've turned her against me!" and Obi-Wan's just lookin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.