main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Revenge of the Sith: Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by eddie-wan-kenobi, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    There were definitely some parallels for me, too.

2. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    *** SPOILER ALERT ***

I have to admit things I like about the movie far outweigh things I don't... having said that these are things I did not agree with.

Anakin... He questions everything like a rebellious youth... however, he feels that he can not trust Palpy yet still doesn't question his motives. Somehow that logic is lost on me...

Kashyyyk... no one ever goes to ground level... I thought that battle was a bit weak due to the way it was depicted.

Droids... When did Super Battle droids learn to speak? While on the subject of Droids I found Artoo to be very competent given the limitations of his environment. Keep in mind he nearly fried himself in both Empire and Jedi at different consoles.

Grievous... Ok so Mace messed him up to the point where Obi-Wan is able to dispatch him fairly easily... should have tied the cartoon to clarify this one a bit better.

Obi-Wan... I think this movie was a testament to Obi-Wan having both great power and the will not to use it. He single handily defeats Grievous and Anakin... a true testament to what it means to be Jedi.

Mace... dies due to betrayal. Fitting given the type of man he was. Though, I really would have liked to have seen Anakin just stop his blade like he does in Jedi against Luke... and then battle it out. Still I can respect why George did it this way.

Dooku... weak... the battle verses Anakin was all right but Anakin's willingness to kill him seemed to be a bit over the top. Also, if you are at your opponent?s mercy why not spill the beans on your employer?

Padme... gave up her own life to hide the children from Anakin... willed herself to die... powerful in the Force I think ;).

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts to ponder on over the weekend. :)

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

3. Cowgirlup0916

Cowgirlup0916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    I agree with you Lodreh on Padme willing herself to die. If she would have lived it would have been easier for the Emperor or Anakin to find her and the twins, if they would have found them they could have either tried to sway them to the darkside or just flat out killed them.

4. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Just got back from seeing it again. Better the second time. Was more prepared for the things that got to me the first time. Covered my eyes when Anakin entered the room with the younglings as I just didnt want to see that again. Cried anyway. Of all things, the setup and beginning of Ani vs. Obi-Wan had me teary-eyed. Just so emotional. Just a great movie! All the things you find wrong the first time are out the window the second time around. Was almost laughing out loud at the way Palpatine cackled and laughed so much during his fight with Yoda. AND had forgotten how funny the line where Yoda says "so powerfull you are, than why leave?" when he stops Palps from going out of his office. Obviously I have always been an Obi-Wan fan, but I have a new respect and love for his character after this movie.

5. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Lodreh, Dooku did "spill the beans" - Lucas just didn't put it in the film.... yet.

As for Grievous, he took a shot in the heart and his organs are on FIRE (you can see it) and he's still going at it! It takes about three more shots before he explodes. Why does everyone think he went out easy?

6. Poldu_The_Wookie

Poldu_The_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2004
    I just got done with my second time as well, saw you there Eddie, as for the movie, what can I say, it was as mezmerizing as the first time, but this time I got to pay more attention to details. One thing that was funny to me was when they first put the mask on Annie and he did the first breath everyone in the audience giggled, I thought it pretty strange.

7. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Saw it for the 3rd time tonight!

8. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    For the midnight showing I went to there were 20 screens showing ROTS and 10 of them messed up for the first 2 or 3 minutes.
    There almost was some rioting, and got a couple free passes to see it for free again.
    I was ticked and happy at the same time. :D

9. Matcu-Dinight

Matcu-Dinight Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    you mean to tell me a projectionist messed up building the movie of the year? my god he/she must have been on the verge of tears because of that. I know when I built the prints, I took my sweet time, and made sure they were perfect, but thats what 12 years in building movies will do for you. :D

I have to say when it came time to start it for the midnight shows, I had sweat pouring off of me. But thats how it goes in the buisness of making magic happen. ;)

there is only one thing I really didnt like about the movie... no start of the rebellion!

10. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, all that Rebellion stuff that was shot & not seen.... sigh.... Well, maybe on the DVD...

11. NoNeedForAName

NoNeedForAName Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    (Even though I doubt there's anyone up here left who hasn't seen it, I'll put this anyway.)
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

ROTS, to me, was the best film of the series since Empire. No disrespect to ROTJ, but ROTS just did it for me more. Did I have qualms with it? Sure, absolutely. Does the good outweigh the bad? Again...absolutely.

Pros:
    Lightsabers Duels- Always my favorite action bits of the OTC movies, the volume and quality of the duels in ROTS was perfect for me. Even the Dooku. (I was shocked to see the head flying across the room in the background).

Sidious- My favorite part, hands down, in ROTS was the Mace fight/Sidious transformation. To me the most pivotal and crucial moment occured here. One question though: Had he always looked like that and had exhausted the force powers he was using to control his face "mask" or did the lightning do it to him?

Anakin's "Rule The Galaxy" plot- It wasn't a ruse to get Luke to the darkside in ESB...it was his plot from the begining of his Sith days. Loved that.

Those are just a few of the highlights, there are more.

Cons:
    Pacing- This may have been a spoiler issue for me, but I found myself unfocused in some parts, just sort of tuning out. It may have been because I was awaiting the action sequences, or because I knew about some of the "cheesy" dialouge.

The Younglings- Everyone has had issues with this, but doesn't it change the way you look at Darth Vader now? I didn't like it because it was difficult to watch, but I understand it as a plot point and a character "builder" (or destroyer, in this case), and saw it comng after the Tuscan Raiders, but they could have stuck with the holocron scenes, without having put us through the younglings looking for guidance and getting...

All in all, it deserves the money it has made so far, and all the money it will make in the coming weeks/months. But I do have issues with things that were left out of the movie that I "knew" were going to be there (Ani/Obi melting the floor on the Hand, Obi-Wan taking out a crapload of droids/clones when they turn on him, QUI-GON! Above all else THAT should not have been dropped and even if it hadn't, it left me with one big unanswered question: How is it that Anakin learns how to commune with the living force? There's no way he could have learned it from Obi or Yoda, so...and for those who know the Qui-Gon part...does that make Darth Vader the first DLoTS to cheat death?

Also, Greivous' fight with Obi should have been longer, but I think the way he died was good. I mean, Obi blew up his organs. It's not like it was just a couple of random blasts. And then the "so uncivilized" line was classic.

Man, I am long-winded.

12. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    NoName, there's an interview with Ian McDiramid in the new Insider. If I interpretted it correctly, he basically says his Palpatine face is just a mask and he can turn it off and on whenever he wishes.

Hate I missed you Poldu.

13. Cowgirlup0916

Apr 11, 2005
    We're off to see it again, have to see what I missed when I went to the bathroom Thursday night and Travis wants to start critiquing the movie.

14. TrueRevanite

TrueRevanite Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2004
    Just got back from seeing it the second time. I am going to say something that many of you won't agree with, but here goes... Revenge of the Sith is the best of the series, bar none. Even the second time, I found myself on the verge of tears at points, cringing at points. This is an amazing movie. I have very few complaints about this movie. VERY few. The only major problem that I have is that Portman was stiff in most of her stuff. Other than that... I sat in amazement. It is most definately better the second time you see it. I even have a few interesting theories that I will share later on when I am sure everyone is ready to discuss them.

15. hybrid_ox

hybrid_ox Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    hello all , i myself just got back from seeing it ,i loved it. yet it wan't the best star wars movie he done it was way to romantic for me, but it was great!!!!!

16. Cowgirlup0916

Apr 11, 2005
    Is it just me, or did other people miss the romantic part? No offense, but of the three prequels AOTC was the romantic one, not ROTS.

17. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Oh there was romance in both AOTC and ROTS. It was just a very awkward type of romance in AOTC. Jeez folks, there HAS to be a little romance between Anakin and Padme. I mean, she IS pregnant ya know. And like it or not, his love for her is what motivates everything he does in this movie. Even after the choke scene, you can see he basically lost his temper and snapped out of it. Then he was just angry at Obi-Wan.

18. Sunafar

Sunafar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2005
    Yah...My favorite part was when Anakin was all like "you underestimate my powers" and Obi-Wan was all like "dont you do it" then they were all like ::flip:: ::swoosh:: then anakin had no legs.
    Also, Anakins vision of Padme dying is what brought about his betrayal, though without the vision, it wouldnt have happened that way (presumably) so how did his prediction of the future take itself into account? I cant think of a way to explain it...sory if that didnt make sense.

19. ForceTheologian

ForceTheologian Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    I think it was all the will of the Force to bring the prophecy's fullfillment. Even though Obi said "You were supposed to distroy the Sith, not join them", Yoda did say something about the prophecy about the chosen One may had been misinterpreted. I feel that for Anakin to bring balance to the Force he had to know both sides, just as Luke did after RotJ. All about bringing things into a full circle. Much like the Yin & Yang, when Anakin was good, he did had evil within him, when Anakin becomes Darth Vader, being the more evil version of his self, he did have good in him. So, it was destined that Anakin would have this love for Padme for two reasons. To lead him to the Dark Side, and have a son by her to bring him back. You see? Balance.

FT

20. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Damn, FT. That makes PERFECT sense. Great analogy.

21. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Leia's Mother
    R2FU wrote: Leia's adoptive mother is the one she could be remembering. Keep in mind we do not know at what age in Leia's life Bail Organa's wife died.

This is the argument that I would make. She even looks vaguely sad when they show her at the end of the movie. But as my cousin pointed out to me, it's still a no-prize award until Lucas officially addresses it. And also, in Jedi, Luke makes a point of saying, "your real mother." While reading the book, I was expecting that Leia would have been the one that Padme held, not Luke, or that Leia was given the pendent that Anikin carved for Padme. Either would have offered speculative opportunities that what Leia remembered were force impressions.

Kashyyyk
    Joe-da wrote: Entropy, as for Kashyyyk (sp?), we only saw a small part of it. We don't see Tarfful & Chewie's village, just a place at a lake where the action was.

You have a point, but I still would have liked to see a planet more representative of what we've been led to believe in the past.

Padme's Broken Heart
    FT wrote: #5, I don't think it was that hokey after all. Her reality was shattered. Everything she believed in died with "thunderous applause". Plus the facts that Anakin had turned to the Dark Side, and she had just given birth to twins.

True, and I agree that she had been through a lot. But according to the EmDee droid, none of that had anything to do with her death. She was in perfect health. She had simply given up the will to live. Like I said, I understand it, but I still think it comes off as a little hokey. I would have preferred her death be a combination of physical and emotional trauma.

Lodreh wrote: Padme... gave up her own life to hide the children from Anakin... willed herself to die... powerful in the Force I think

I actually like that idea better than death by broken heart. But again, I think it's a No Prize solution. Very cool speculation, but I don't ever think that was Lucas' intention.

Anakin's Gulibility
    Lodreh wrote: Anakin... He questions everything like a rebellious youth... however, he feels that he can not trust Palpy yet still doesn't question his motives. Somehow that logic is lost on me...

The book did a better job of explaining this than the movie did. The simple answer is because, for all his power, Anakin just isn't that bright. Palply is constantly telling him what he wants to hear. He's constantly giving what seems to be unconditional acceptance. Anakin's pride and vanity cloud him to the reality of what Palpy truly is.

Sidious? Transformation
    NNFAN wrote: Had he always looked like that and had exhausted the force powers he was using to control his face "mask" or did the lightning do it to him?

The book seemed to hint that his face wasn't changed by the lightning, that he just used the opportunity to reveal his true self.

Living Force
    NNFAN wrote: How is it that Anakin learns how to commune with the living force? There's no way he could have learned it from Obi or Yoda, so...and for those who know the Qui-Gon part...does that make Darth Vader the first DLoTS to cheat death?

Another No Prize answer, but if Anakin was really conceived by the living force through manipulation of the midichlorians, then it stands to reason that when he die, he could join back with it.

As for cheating death, do Dark Side specters count? If so, then no, he's not the first.

Bringing Balance to the Force
    Vader/Anakin managed to dismantle both the Jedi Order and the Sith tradition. In doing so, he brought balance back to the force and potentially changed the foundations on which both might be rebuilt.

22. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Yes, Sidious just looks like that. The "Palpatine" face was just a mask.

23. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    I will have to post my thoughts further, when I have time, but after watching it 4 times, I have to say, this movie is fantastic. To me, Empire is still the best, but this one sits right underneath it. I would give it **** out of ****. :)

More to come, later...

24. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    And yes, Riff, that was half of a wookiee! I was able to tell this past time.

25. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    I thought it was!

I remember after I gave Order 66, I told the troopers to cut the wookiee population in half, because they were so dangerous, but I didnt mean literally!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.