main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Revised] 32,000 Fans Attend CV - Per Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JediJustin, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    May would be perfect I tell ya!

2. jonboy

jonboy Jedi Knight

Mar 30, 2010
    ORLANDO rocked it would be crazy now to move Celebration sure there were some problems but to convention hall was fantastic loads of hotels of ALL budgets plus everything else on the doorstep .. hope the internet roumers are true and its going to stay in Florida [face_dancing]

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Orlando in spring would be perfect. (But then, I'm someone who would go to C6 no matter where it were held.) I think if it's announced earlier in advance and doesn't come as closely into conflict with other major cons next time around, the attendance will be even higher.

4. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Yep, and that convention center was cool and huge, and there'd be another chance for something like the Disney park connection.

5. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I'm all for traveling to new places but I'd love to have it in Orlando again (Springtime) as opposed to LA, for the reason a few people have mentioned, hotels/food in walking distance. I think that's key when you're going to a multiple-day event, especially if you're trying to maximize your experiences in that city. Just makes for a more comfortable stay.

6. JediXtine

JediXtine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2006
    I thought Orlando was an IDEAL place to hold the convention. I especially liked that C5 worked closely with Disney, especially with the Last Tour to Endor party which was AMAZING :) I had my best US vacation EVER this summer, and I even drove there from the Canadian border! I LOVED it, LA was fun but there was way more going on this time, at least that's what it felt like to me :) Oh yeah and George and Jon came!

7. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Now that LFL has a contract in place with Reed, hopefully the C6 details/announcement are ironed out more quickly and released farther out from the start date.

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    You can't compete with the quality of entertainment that is in Los Angeles, right next to the Convention Center, compared to Orlando, which is nothing. There are no really good restaurants in walking distance at all, besides some hotel bars and lounges, which are ok. Whereas here you have L.A. Live, the biggest and best entertainment district on the West Coast and arguably the U.S. You have Nokia Theatre right there where the Emmy's are held, the Staples Center, and more than a dozen great restaurants.

And since 2007, most of this stuff has opened up, not to mention there is now more hotel space thanks to the Ritz / Marriot opening up on L.A. Live. There is the Luxe across the street, and there is plenty of hotel space downtown in general that's very close.

I think it should be back in L.A., 2007 wasn't the right time to hold it in L.A. because L.A. Live wasn't even done yet. I don't think really any part of it was done then, it was just entering its construction. Now, we have a vibrant downtown with tons of places to go, and Disneyland close. No humidity and miserable weather like Orlando.

I will not be happy if it's on the Least Coast again.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    To each their own, I guess.

Personally, I thought Orlando was a fantastic location and offered plenty of activities to do around town. Plus, there's the little tidbit about it being considered one of the top(if not the top) vacation destinations for families. With Disney, Universal and all the other theme parks and activities around town, it's sure to draw crowds(and people to the convention). It is much easier to turn the 4-day weekend into an extended vacation. Sure, the humidity was annoying, but the time actually spent outside in it was short, so I can't really complain too much about that. Overall, I was very satisfied with my experience and I hope Orlando is considered for another Celebration in the future.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  10. deadhoarse

deadhoarse Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2006
    Again, right across the street from the Rosen Plaza, lots of restaurants. Capital Grille, BB King's, Cuba Libre, Tommy Bahama, Johnny Rockets, Copper Canyon Grille, Maggiano's, Funky Monkey Wine Compay to name a few.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Disneyland isn't close to the convention center in Los Angeles compared to how Disneyworld was close to Orlando, and really shouldn't be counted as "stuff to do in LA". I'd say from a stand point of those traveling, Orlando was much better than LA simply from a safety standpoint for walking around, and Orlando seemed to have a lot more that one could do based on simple transit options.

12. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Celebration or not, I'm definitely planning to go to Orlando next year for STAR WARS Weekends and the new attraction in place of Star Tours.
    I expect to cruise by the convention center to reminisce.

13. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    we're going to have to update the thread title. newest report is that attendance was at 32,000.
    http://clubjade.net/?p=22706

14. dante144

May 26, 2005
    32k?!

They only projected 30k. Sweet!!!!

If any of you are jonesing for a similar experience you should come check out Megacon in March at the Orange County Convention Center. It is a general Sci-Fi/Fantasy con with roots in toys and comics. It usually has about 20-30K attendance.

Wide range of stuff there. Celebrities, Anime, sci fi. 501st is usually there. All in the OCCC. We miss you in Orlando and if you miss us you should come on down in March. Especially you all who need a break from Winter!

15. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    My wife and I are right smack dab in the middle of that pic on SW.com.

Sweet! :cool:

16. dante144

May 26, 2005
    Megacon

Was meaning to post this with my earlier post...but I forgot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.