main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ridley Scott discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Mastadge, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Ridley Scott. Truly a gifted filmmaker, with a wonderful visual style. He started off with a sequence of great flicks: The Duellists, Alien, Bladerunner, and Legend. Then he made several inconsequential, unmemorable movies, with a couple of flops such as 1492 and a couple of good ones such as Thelma and Louise. However, with his recent hits like Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, he's once again in the first tier in Hollywood. His next couple projects:

Tripoli:
    Ridley Scott has committed to make his next film the historical drama Tripoli.
    The 20th Century Fox project revolves around the true story of William Eaton (played by Russell Crowe), an American who helped the rightful heir to the throne of Tripoli (now Libya) lead an overthrow of a corrupt ruler who was oppressing the population in the early 1800s.

Tripoli had a remarkably brief gestation period, as William Monahan's script was purchased by Fox and producer Mark Gordon just three months ago. The studio is eyeing a late summer or early fall start date for the project, which is being compared in scope to Lawrence of Arabia.

"It is the story of a young man's growth from a diplomat to a soldier to a statesman, and it has all those things that Ridley does so well," said Fox co-chairman Tom Rothman.

The Tripoli commitment comes just days after Scott's Fox-based Scott Free banner, which he runs with brother Tony, hired Massachusetts-based Monahan to draft an epic adventure set during the 11th-century Crusades; Scott hopes to direct that picture after he completes Tripoli.

2. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I liked Scott's eariler films like Blade Runner, Alien, and even Black Rain. But, I don't really care for Gladiator, GI Jane, or Blackhawk Down. And I DO agree with some of his critics that he is more "style over substance".

Still, Blade Runner is STILL one of the most visually stunning films ever made. Alien is still an excellent horror/suspense flick. I just felt that Gladiator was all hype, and a fluffy movie. It reminded me of a weak, poorly edited verison of Braveheart...which is great!(I know most won't agree with me, because this movie was popular). But, I felt it was visually drab, cliche', and poorly acted in parts. I thought Crowe brought very little to his character emotionally by playing him with such a detached tone. (I won't even go into the ridiculous historical inaccuracies, because there are TOO many.) I know, that may sound nitpicky, but I'm a former History major...so it's kinda hard to ignore!

Basically, I think Scott IS a very talented director, who has just taken the "easy" films with his last few...Gladiator and Blackhawk Down. I felt BH was an emotionaless excerise where we didn't really get to know ANY of the characters. I think Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, and Apocoylpse Now, are far superior war films and much more important ones. I think if Scott seeks out some better scripts (any avoids working with TRASH like Jerry Bruckheimer) he will produce quality movies like in the past. Personally, I'm rooting for that! :D

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And The Duellists if FINALLY coming to DVD in December! I can't remember being this excited about a DVD for quite a while.

4. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Ridley Scott is to the world of cinema what McDonalds is to world of gourmet cooking.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Ridley Scott is to the world of cinema what McDonalds is to world of gourmet cooking.

I have two words to say to that: Alien and Bladerunner. And a name: Anderson.

6. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I do agree that both those films are very good in their own ways. Similarly, a Big Mac is sometimes the best thing to eat. More often than not, however, I prefer a Marco Pierre White dish. Two good movies do not a good director make.

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm a huge Ridley Scott fan and personally I put him up there with the very best. Visually he is the best.....ever.
    I've now seen BHD three times now, and once with the DVD commentary and I think it's a brilliant war film because it dosn't have back stories, and that's kind of the point of the film. It's about the event more then the characters.
    Personally there is nothing wrong with style over substance, film is a visual medium after all.
    The only criticism I have over Ridley is that he played the studio game rather then stand up for himself with his final cuts. Then again he is still making films and has a lot of control these days so maybe it paid off.

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The only criticism I have over Ridley is that he played the studio game rather then stand up for himself with his final cuts. Then again he is still making films and has a lot of control these days so maybe it paid off.

Yeah, but he absolutely loves DVD and is revisiting all his films in SE DVD formats. He's already completely recut LEGEND for his Director's Cut, and he's making a finally final cut of BladeRunner to be released sometime next year. And now that he's such a big name, he's making his films more often as he wants them, such as Gladiator and Hannibal.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Ridley Scott is better than Tony Scott... I think they're brothers...

Of his work, I mostly only like Blade Runner, Alien, and Thelma & Louise... as for his other movies, there are many visually impressive elements, but they don't quite appeal to the mind as much as they do to the eye... IMHO. :)

10. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Thelma and Louise is a good one.

11. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I'm not a huge fan of Ridley Scott, though Alien and BHD are two fantastic films.

I'm glad he decided to stop the usual action sequence camera style he does for BHD. In Gladiator, I think he spoiled a potentially great film with his close up, burred and slow motion action sequences.

12. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Yes. Tony Scott is his brother (and a schlock-meister like Brukheimer IMO!) All of TONY Scott's movies play out like mindless music video's stretched out over a 2 hour period!

13. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i wouldent say that Scott is gifted, but he is very smart. he does good work.

Gladiator- Admitedly there where numerous historical inacuracies but he freely admits that it was not a documentory. they where simply making an action flick. I enjoy thr movie. although the acting is a bit thin at times its still enjoyable the watch.

Alien- O.M.G. this movie changed my life forever. my sister watched it with me (shes a gore freak) and she couldent sleep for a two nights. Absolutly amazing the amount of suspense and horrer.

Blade Runner- Amazing, although i admit i have never been able to sit through the movie all at once. excellent movie, just a boring to me at times.

oh, Russel Crowe is probobly not the best actor ever. he plays the strong quite type really well, but not much beyond that.

14. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Go rent "The Sum of Us" to be able to see the versatility that Russel Crowe has as an actor.

15. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    There was one small flick I saw Crowe in that he was pretty good "Romper Stomper". He played a skin-head, and the movie is pretty messed up, but does make you think. I thought he did a good job in that movie, but I haven't enjoyed him in anything else I've seen him in.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm surprised no one here has mentioned Legend... :)

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Few will I think. Box office bomb wasn't it?

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    So was blade Runner first time round thanks to warner brothers.
    I went to the Collectormania event on Sunday and they had a special 20th anni. screening of BR with Ratger Hauer presenting it and doing a Q&A after. It was great to see BR on the big screen and with great audio for the first time and Ratger said some interesting things about the film. The most notable one being that he didn't like the fact that Rachel and Deckard had a relationship and that they ended the film with them two running off. He said it was very hollywood and the film should have ended with him dying. Personally I disgaree with him and I think the film is quite anti-hollywood hence the reason why WB did there own cut of it.

I'll also add that I think The Duellists is one of the best films ever made and is very under rated.

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'll also add that I think The Duellists is one of the best films ever made and is very under rated.

Thank you! I agree completely.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Nobody here thinks Legend is underrated...?

21. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    It's hard for me to comment on legend because I've only ever seen the Euro version and the region 2 DVD is rather pants and dosn't have the new edit onit.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't like Legend. It's very beautiful, but it's silly and boring. The new cut is an improvement, but when it comes right down to it, Ridley says it all: It needed more action.

23. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I think Ridley Scott's DVD commentaries are great. Does anyone else notice that he says the word 'Right' alot???

24. Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    That's because Legend is horrible. Glittery shiny backgrounds with Tom Cruise unicorns and a dude in a cheesy devil outfit <feels the need to hurl>. But it's no where near a disgrace to fantasy as Lucasarts 'Willow'. Before there was LOTR there was Willow huh? Smack!

Mc Donalds? So I guess his movies have faithfully served more than 1 billion people? Foogins, I'd rather have aliens burst out of my chest than eat a hamburger/sandwich from that place.
    Blade Runner is excellent, please cruddy directors look elsewhere for your classic film = remake = money schemes.

25. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Willow was much better than legend. The two headed dragon wins there, though Tim Curry's makeup job in Legend was good. Anyway Scott has made some of my favorite movies. BR and Alien are great and Hannibal is very under-rated. Gladiator was ok but didn't deserve the oscars. BHD really deserved the oscars but didn't get them. Anyway Scott's always been one of my favorite directors and i try to see all his movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.