main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rise to the Next Level- Heroes (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jek_Windu, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Since I know the guy who does these effects, I can say, for one thing, that the flames being done in Heroes are all real elements composited over the action, not digital simulations.

The flames along the bottom of the frame were actually, I believe, an in-camera effect. No need to do it digital when you can just shoot it on set.

I'm not saying that they don't stand out to you as "not quite right," but it's not necessarily because they're "CGI."

But I will agree that I never found Meredith's use of her power nearly as interesting as Flint's. All she ever seemed to do with it was set her palm on fire to prove a point.

2. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Well yeah, I shouldn't have said they look bad, but there just seemed to be something...off. And also yeah, I remember you mentioning you knowing one of the effects guys. I know nothing about special effects so I don't want to sound all whiny and pass judgement on something I know nothing about.

Hey, just out of curiosity,dunno if you'd know, I know Masi Oka did SFX at ILM before acting, but does he ever do any uncredited post work on Heroes?

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    All the VFX work is done by Stargate Digital, and as far as I'm aware Masi Oka has never set foot in that facility.

I think his training and understanding of visual effects have probably helped him as an actor, since he understands why things are done the way they are and how they will look when they are completed, and is able to perform with confidence. But as far as actually having a hand in it, never to my knowledge.

4. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    My biggest reaction to the premiere is shock: Heroes is good again? I'm hoping they keep up that level of quality throughout the volume.

A side note: Glad to see Peter finally (mostly, anyway) drop the Idiot Ball.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Claire needs to seriously lay off the makeup. She looks like a prostitute. Especially in her first scene when she was talking to Angela.

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    what happened? I'm in the UK and don't know when this season is airing here. Used to be the Wednesday after it's showed in the US but this trend hasn't resumed.

7. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I noticed that too. I can't tell if the make up artists are trying to make her look older or younger.

I love Zeljko Ivanek, I was happy to see him in this. Man, he's been hitting all the major shows these past seasons, Lost, Mentalist, True Blood, Damages, now Heroes. He makes a great baddie.

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    He was great in 24 and in House.:cool:

9. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002

10. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    I have no idea what happened to the scheduling, but you can catch the new episodes over at Hulu. New episodes are usually up within twelve hours of their original airdate, so if it airs Monday at 9 in the US, you should be able to pull it up by 5 PM Tuesday in the UK.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    What are the feelings on how this season has turned out?

With Sylar where he is now, everything's pointing towards the situation we saw in "Five years gone" except I don't think he'll be taking on Nathan's appearance following the elevator incident.

Same position, just this time as president? Who knows...

Sylar is having a showdown with Nathan in the final episode, but with Peter's abilities nerfed I don't think the 'good guys' have much chance.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Unless Peter took the hunger Sylar had and perhaps by extension all of Sylar's abilities...

13. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I did wonder about that...

The heroes people have said that the reason Hiro can't teleport is due to a personal limitation, not anything to do with Matt Parkman Jnr's ability. This pretty heavily implies that this could change...

The same could therefore be said for Peter's ability... perhaps he has unknowingly stored these powers in reserve.

It's been stated again by the people at Heroes that the abilities can 'evolve' when under extreme duress, look at Tracy's "Cold Snap" for example, or Future Sylar's explosion.

At the moment this is looking like the Empire Strikes Back of the Heroes season, but I'm expecting a kick back right at the end.

14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I've caught up to date with the US airings, watched "I am Sylar" yesterday evening.

Also been lurking around the Heroes Wiki, trying to gorge on spoilers and possible happenings.

At the moment it seems everyone is confident that Nathan Petrelli is going to be the character to die because all the other options have either signed on for next season or have been confirmed by Tim Kring to not be the one killed (Not that he hasn't changed his mind before). But as Sylar has this shape shifting ability, just because an actor is signed on for the next season doesn't mean they'll be playing the same character necessarily.

If Nathan was the one to die I'd find it pretty frustrating that the Heroes staff had made it that obvious/easy to work out. I think it could be quite interesting if instead Peter was the one to bite it, (Milo has confirmed he's on next season) but with Sylar taking his place.

Psychologically, Sylar might see Peter's original ability as a link between the two of them and would therefore be more comfortable with using Peter's identity as his own.

This would also serve a purpose to stay close to Claire as he apparently proposes to her in the final episode.

15. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    it's been 3 seasons already. when will they give us a decent pete vs sylar fight scene? show is really trying my patience these days.
    -doodie

16. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Kill Sylar, save the show.

17. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    The whole Nathan as Sylar thing is a bit weird, I'm not sure I like it.

What would be good is if Nathlar picked up the very next morning he wasn't Nathan when he brushed his teeth and picked up the memories from the toothbrush (used to get Nathan's DNA). What happened in the teaser for the next season would make the resurfacing of Sylar to actually be Sylar playing with Mama Petrelli's head.

18. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Ray Park is going to be in the next season of Heroes.

Colour me excited.

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    So is Robert Knepper of Prison Break. These two both make me more interested in the next season than I otherwise would (or more accuratly: wouldn't) be.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    The trailer for season 4, volume 5 is out now. It can be seen here.

It might be able to redeem Heroes.

21. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I can't believe this thread has been dead for so long with the exception of my latest post... but hey Heroes is almost back so we should start talking about it again!

More news is coming out regarding Heroes. The mindgames between Sylar, Nathan, and Parkman could be really good. I've put together some of the other Heroes news on my web-site.

22. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Anyone catch this on Monday? I liked it a lot. Don't know what to make of the carnies. Obviously that compass only spins when held by 'one of them'.

I liked Samuel's application of telekinesis with the ink inside Ray Park to Vader-strangle him. If that's what it was...

23. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I know it's to be expected but do we have to have another amnesia storyline?

As for Hiro, anyone else think he'll be the latest person Peter 'helps'?

If Pete doesn't take his ability he's a tool!

24. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    am i the only one who feels like this season has been absolute pants!
    -doodie

25. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I've really enjoyed it so far to be honest, it'd be nice to know what Samuel's big plan is though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.