main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rpg in the Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    yes Tek got it right. it all depends on the the thread and its creator. and i personally dont see anything wrong with creating socks for RP. but then again, that doesnt mean we have to create socks :)

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Hey, Ben, lemmie just say how much I apprieciate you bringing tjis to the Admin's attention.

I will be using a sock for my character! :D

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    There's a rule covering the use of socks in the set that I posted here on pg6.

Not all of them have been discussed in full yet, so everyone should feel free to make suggestions or add to them or ask questions about any of them. :)

4. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    well, we all know the policy on socks, but in this new forum, i think some players will want to use a sock for their character.

Its easier understanding someones character, and name when they are actually using that character.

5. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I like the idea of using socks, but when your in several RPG's its hard to obey the Sock rule.

Mabye there should be a special sock rule put into place for RPing. The admins and mods would have to OK it though.

sorry if ive stated what someone posted earlyier, but i dont havetime to read all the pages in this thread at the moment :)

6. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I was thinking a bit (as you do)...

and after reading LA's post about different rules, so i'll ask this,

who here actually knows the difference between weg and D20?

I realise that not all of the rp'ers would neccesarily have to know, ie: those who just want to have fun, but for those who don't know and would like to know, there may be some explaining to be done here.

Also another suggestion, as we will doubtless have a thread by the mod explaining the rules to us when the forum goes up. To prevent that thread being constantly +1afied the mod could put all the rules in a webpage and then change the link up the very top left to that link, (like what EUC had / has ( I haven't been there in a while) under Kadue)

cheers all
    of to sleep then work
    cya all

7. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    ok, just to clarify for those of you who don't know, the D20 is a type of RPG system where you use dice and accumulate hit points and whatnot(this is what DarthLudicrous meant by when we first started this thread) by following a standard set of rules. for those of you who know what it is, you won't need explaining but for those of you who don't know and want to learn more, here's a page that should answer some of your questions. otherwise it would take awhile to explain all the petty details of that system.

and i think Teknobabel is mentioning the Literature Index by Kadue thats in the Literature forum. i personally don't think an entire webpage just for forum rules is necassery. just have the link that usually says 'TheForce.Net' at the topleft corner changed to a link that leads to an RP Rules thread that would be posted in the Informational Threads Forum. Much more easier and efficient IMO :)

8. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    What does "+1" mean anyway.

[Edit]: Also, now that we have persueded the administration to our point of veiw, I think we should discuss how die rolling will work. And for someone like me who has to use the computers at school and cannot download a die rolling program to it, how we can participate.

9. Master_JoshuaWindu

Apr 21, 2001
    we wouldnt use die man, this is an online RPG

like an old teletype text adventure, no die rolling needed

10. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    whenever I play die roling games on the net, I always get the best rolls! every time! :D

11. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    remember, it would all depend on the thread. if one thread doesn't use dice, that doesn't mean another thread can't use them.

12. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    That was one of the things I wasn't sure about, I mean if a thread wants to use dice, who's going to stop them? It would be up to the folks running it to decide if / how to use dice.

Just thought i'd ask, after all, any discussion now is a lot easier than later.

13. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    yep :)

i guess Nathan has been alittle busy this weekend so i think we can wait a few more days for the forum :)

14. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    Im willing to wait however long it takes :)

15. Master_JoshuaWindu

Apr 21, 2001
    yeah, after all, its still a holiday, he should be back this week

*crosses fingers*

oh, and about the die thing, i know some threads will want to use it, and some wont. The one's ive been in dont, so thats what i was working off of

16. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    For those who want to use it, are there any online die rolling programs that can be verified by the GM?

[edit] I found an e-mail die roller here!

17. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    oh MD, to answer your question, +1 just means that the person is merely upping his/her post count. to put it in another way, the person who posts '+1' in your thread is basically saying its a dumb thread :)

18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
  19. Master_Ben

Master_Ben Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2001
    No die. While it may be more systematic, I think players can be fair and give up when neccasary.

20. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Something like what Master_Ben said :)

21. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    So, not to sound ungrateful, but when will we get final notice on the opening of this forum?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't like the dice thing at all. Nor that whole stat making thing.

Just role-play via typing. You don't want an uber character, everyone had a weakness. Even Thrawn.

Example, my character, Grand Admiral Jello (in the Imp v.s. Reb v.s. Vong RP a.k.a. EUC Civil War a.k.a. EUC RP) was prone to over analysing.

Just RP fair, and comprimise heavily, and it'll be fine. Just see Anonymous_Jedi's site, where the RP was continued, I comprimised almost anything.

Be a realist. That's all it takes.

Dice and character charts are not needed. Unless you want them.

23. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    It's good to see this idea looks finally to be achieving reailty very shortly :), however I still have one concern.

Someone mentioned above that this should not be restricted to just SW. Is this true?

I used to roleplay on a small SW board back when Ep. 1 was released and the thing that wrecked it was when we decided to allow non-SW elements into it. Before we knew it Borg cubes, Zerg overlords and I think even some Dragonball Z characters were running amok and wrecking all the fun.

I would personally like to see this RPG keep to SW only.

24. Master_Ben

Master_Ben Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2001
    I agree with Champion. At least have a certain scenario. In other words we might have a LOTR RPG or a Gundam RPG for those who want one, but as far as merging two scenarios thats a bad idea.

25. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    I like the idea of other RPGs

Zelda,Gundam,ect

But only one of each to keep it clean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.