main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON --Saberists unite!--

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Han_YoungJediNiagara, Sep 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    This topic is for all you light saberists out there. Come on, everyone does it, with anything from sticks to metal piping. Come in and share your experiences with lightsaber dueling.

On another note, anyone attending Young Jedi Niagara's meetings is ecouraged to bring their lightsabers to challenge myself and others to battle!

2. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    During the lineup in Toronto, I duelled the Young George Lucas with the Kung-Fu Action Grip(TM) in order to win the coveted Qui Gon Jin lightsaber. There is nothing that can stop a jedi with a brief case.

Of course, there was the time I decided to duel our Fearless leader, armed only with an umbrella, which was a mistake, seeing as how it kept raining on us. Note for future ref. Umbrellas do not make for suitable dueling devices.

--- this post, having exceeded the daily quota for in-jokes, 'ya haddta be there' stories and 'too long to explain' anecdotes, will be brought to an end now. Just smile, nod, and go about your regular posting ---

3. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    Hey, I'd rather NOT end this topic. I'm trying to liven up this forum. This hasn't had any non-argumental topics for quite some time. I'd rather we discussed something else than have this forum filled up with debates between people.

4. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Actually, I was just refering to ending my own post. Not the thread. But if you'd like I can expand on my lightsaber stories, "The Tale of how Tragic Bested the Young George Lucas with the Kung-Fu Action Grip" and "The Tale of Tragic's Busted Umbrella". But they are usually best told in person, where I can do the funny voices and the assorted demonstrations. ;)

Have you guys ever considered a game of lightsaber capture the flag? Construct nicely padded lightsabres (Sandwich Boy can provide the specs and cost for such things) that you can smash about without fear of brutally injuring one another or destroying an expensive collectable. Then, Braveheart style, you and a large group of your friends charge across a park towards another group of friends. Now that would be fun.

5. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    How about fencing and sword art... those count right?

performing my skillz counts too eh?

I did some sword play at the nac for shakespear plays a long time ago :p

6. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    LOL that souns fun TragicLad. Hey, in the Toronto forum you are discussing what to do next, maybe have some lightsaber play? I am dying to try out fighting with 2 lightsabers (my friend broke my Maul saber in half with my Qui-Gon saber). I even boiled the sabers and curved the handles to look like Christopher Lee's character in AOTC!

7. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    (Typos... so many typos... read next message)

8. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Lightsabering... I know WAY too well lately. Two videos and many sore fingers later, it's still wicked. And Han, we've gotta duel some time... I need to take you on.

9. BobaFett_YJN

May 27, 2001
    YES! we have to tell about our video, Mert!

It all started when Mert was sleeping over at my house. We were getting a little bored, so we decided to tape a lightsaber fight in the parking lot next door. It involved me with my halved Darth Maul saber vs my brother Nick (Han_Youngjediniagara) with his Qui-Gon saber with Obi-Wan blade. The duel cosisted of me losing a saber, getting one back, my brother losing one saber and getting one of mine, fighting over one saber, fighting one saber vs none....basically it was all improvised. It ended with me jumping out of the tree and slicing my brother in half using a "scissor" move with two sabers, and him coughing up ketchup.

My favourite moments, as Mert must agree were the following:

-Mert taping the woman walking down the street while Nick went to fill his mouth with ketchup (he's desperate and lonely)
    -Mert getting his...parts injured while climbing over the fence
    -Nick stepping in poo
    -Me trying to flip over a railing and end up smacking into the wall
    -the 150 takes of me throwing my lightsaber at Nick's

Oh what fun!

Hey Mert, why aren't you on MSN?

10. BobaFett_YJN

May 27, 2001
    Oh we can't forget the duel we had later that night with your Darth Maul costume lightsaber. That lasted, what, 2 minutes? You did manage to nearly break my ear off though, Mert :mad: Although it did look wicked with light-up sabers in the dark. One thing that really ticks me off is that they made the cheap, breakable Darth Maul saber have light-up blades, and the good fighting on have blades that flash on contact. I sure hope Hasbro makes a better one.

11. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well of course you've all seen my boffer sabres...

For those that haven't, look up "boffer" in Google, you'll find several pages describing them.. its basically high-density foam pipe insulation around a 1/2" plastic pipe.

What I'd really like to do is get a few of us together to practice stage-fighting.. make up a scripted routine which looks decent for public display, but like all stage duels is practiced completely.

I've done medieval-style fighting (single, dual and polearm), fencing, and a bit of kendo-style in my past... I can research up some of the better bits of stage duelling if anyone is interested in doing this for public showings, displays etcetera.

Just think, Episode 2, 1st showing, the audience is seated with 30 minutes to go, and 2 or 3 people go up front and do a great lightsabre duel.

Of course we'd have to start rehearsing it soon if we want it to be good. Hrm... I wonder if Nick Gillard is available to visit? :)

-John
    (.sig? Oh.. I thought you said .fig!)

12. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    I think I'd better get working on my boffer saber. Right now I'm using a Qui-Gon Lightsaber without the blade (it broke off) and duct tape near the tip. The blade i'm using is from a cheap Obi-Wan Lightsaber that came with a Haloween costume.

And believe me, a whack on the hand with a boffer saber is MUCH less painful then a plastic one cracking on your hand.

13. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Your dual can be part of our prize contest planed for at the theater. We'll discuss it further at one of our meetings.

14. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    One time near the end of the last school year, I convinced my friend to bring his lightsabers to a hiking trip our class was going on.

About 5 minutes after we left the parking lot, my brother and my friend are duelling with Darth Maul vs, Luke Skywalker lightsabers. Before I could intervene, my friend split my brother's Darth Maul saber. You can imagine the looks we received.

Anyways, to make a long story short, we walked down the streets of queenston with broken lightsabers in our hands.

But my brother still has that split Maul Saber. He now likes to fight with 2 sabers.......

15. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I guess that My best saber story would be the onw I lived in the tunnel of the metro that night. . but if I told it no one would believe me.

So i'll just go with My Uilmuteiz VS Darth Legacy Story.

at least part of it.

the thing hapened in drummondville one year ago. We practiced a choregraphy for weeks, and it was better than the one guy practiced a year ago.
    Let's just say that it took me two hits on the forehead to finally strike legacy down for good. :)

now, I am the master.. Mouhahahah

hey next time I go down in Toronto, maybe we could organise a little Lightsaber contest.
    what do you say.??

16. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Isn't it weird toys inteded for children give us all joy? Well, that's the oddity of life for ya. And I'm sorry Boba for your ear.

17. BobaFett_YJN

May 27, 2001
    Yes Mert, and I'm sorry about your injury from climbing the fence, for which I was no way responsible :p The great thing was you decided to tape it [face_laugh]

18. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Hey I found blue and red duct tape for my boffer saber!

I did a test, and it looks pretty good.

Now I'm trying to find a method to paint my saber's centre section a good chrome. I found a sealant that dulls the paint only slightly so I think I will try that. I'm also looking into finding a place that can actually chrome it.

Oh, the best part about the duct tape. Its at Dollarama at the Lincoln Mall, so its good and cheap.

19. BobaFett_YJN

May 27, 2001
    Ok, between my additions to my Boba Fett costume and building my Jango Fett costume (I'm Fett obsessed) I am making a custom double-bladed lightsaber that unscrews in the middle to make two separate sabers :p Ill keep you informed on my progress. Im in the design stage now.

20. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    Alright, Woofer. Your boffer sabers seem safe and well made.

I demand satisfaction! *smacks Woofer with glove*

I challenge you to a duel!

Boffer sabers at the next meeting.

Do you accept?

By the way, if you don't have a boffer for me to use, do you know where I can get a plastic one real cheap????

21. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    "If you are as weak as your slap sirrah, I shall take thee down easily!"

Oh wait.. that was too Shakespearean for something out of Star Wars... let me try again.

"Your mother is a nerfherder, and your father smells of Bantha poodoo!"

Oh now I'm mangling Monty Python.

Oh heck...

Tell you what.. if I can go to the next get together, *and* my saber is done, *and* the weather is nice... yeah sure. We can practice duelling.

(Typing this as my pager calls me to work yet again)

22. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    You don't happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

BTW, don't go for the fingers.

23. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    Well yesterday I went to Home Depot and went through plumbing and electricity aisles. Guess what I found?
    I mixed and matched and I got my perfect lightsaber design.

Be afraid.

24. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    And *I* was supposed to be the one with the Home Depot lightsabre...

Actually I was looking around the net last week and I found a few other pure hardware store sabres out there.

I even found one that used the same part for my centre switch section, but they used a smaller one and painted it black.

Did you use plastic or wood for the core?

It should be plastic pipe for safety reasons, but even I'm considering using a wooden dowel partway inside the plastic pipe to make it less "swingy". Maybe have the dowel in the lower half only.

25. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    4 foot dowel
    we were smackin each other fairly hard with no pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.