main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Satan Worship in Prison?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SaberGiiett7, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I don't see why it would be that much of a big deal. Where I used to work there was a prayer booth set up for the Muslims. If I remember correctly, they went to pray at noon and 3 pm. Those times happened to be the same time we had breaks. Isn't this pretty close to the same times that lunchtime begins and school ends?

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Let them pray, then. But also let all the other students spend that time praying, or meditating, or thinking on their beliefs, whatever they are. That is the only way it can be equal.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Fair is allowing everybody to worship as designated by their religion. Fair is not keeping other students from learning so muslim students wont fall behind.

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Fair is allowing everybody to worship as designated by their religion. Fair is not keeping other students from learning so muslim students wont fall behind.

It's only fair if everyone is given the exact same rights. Special treatment is not fair to anyone.

5. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Exact same rights?

They all have the right to pray as their religion requires.

See, we agree.

6. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    So what about my banana-eating-and-prayer for ten minutes, at every hour, the whole day, religion? If people were to start following that, should we start excusing them from class, just because it's their religion?

7. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes.

Feel free to get people to join. Potassium is good for you.

8. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, I happen to not think so. People shouldn't get to skip 10 minutes of class, every hour, daily, for any reason, even if their religion says they must spend that time worshiping while eating bananas. If they feel that they must devote a certain time to prayer, they should attend a private school of their religion.

9. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    If someone's religion requires them to pray at a certain time, a public school should not interfere with that regardless of what religion it is. Freedom of religion to me means that the govt should not stop people from practising their own belief.

this creates the same problem as smokers at work. Smokers are allowed more breaks during the day to support their habit, while those who do not smoke do not get the same breaks. students who do not have religion or whose religion does not require this do indeed miss out on a break if it does fall during class time.

Back on topic, prisoners should have every right to worship the devil if they so chose. I find it interesting how those who believ in their religion would try to stop people from worshipping another deity.

HAIL SATAN
    :p

10. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    If someone's religion requires them to pray at a certain time, a public school should not interfere with that regardless of what religion it is. Freedom of religion to me means that the govt should not stop people from practising their own belief.

this creates the same problem as smokers at work. Smokers are allowed more breaks during the day to support their habit, while those who do not smoke do not get the same breaks. students who do not have religion or whose religion does not require this do indeed miss out on a break if it does fall during class time.

It's equal if EVERYONE gets that break. Wait, that would be disruptive to learning? So why should one group of people get to be disruptive, but no one else?

11. farraday

Jan 27, 2000

Your faith shouldn't be forced to take second place to your education because you can't afford I private school.

Find a real religion with a requirement that would be to disruptive to school instea dof makign something up and then we'll talk about if it should be allowed.

12. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Find a real religion with a requirement that would be to disruptive to school instea dof makign something up and then we'll talk about if it should be allowed.

There already is one, and we're discussing it. Regardless, the principle is the same, whether the religion exists or not.

13. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    No it isn't. Islam requires 1 maybe 2 short breaks during a extended time period. You're banana-theist would need 1/6th of every hour. Thats a whole magnitude of difference.

14. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    Becca-i am as anti religion as they come, but I believe one of the great things about the US is the freedom of religion, as long as the prayers do not affect any non religous students, then they should be allowed to pray. They dont really miss much school as those prayer times fall during breaks, usually.

Though i doubt Islam had different time zones in mind when they created the rule.

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    But what if there was a REAL religion, and it require what the banana religion I made up required? You would have to give it the same rights as Muslims, to pray when the religion requires, or you'd be descriminating.

Public schools are for learning. They are not places of worship.

Becca-i am as anti religion as they come, but I believe one of the great things about the US is the freedom of religion, as long as the prayers do not affect any non religous students, then they should be allowed to pray. They dont really miss much school as those prayer times fall during breaks, usually.

It effects them if they are not given breaks at the exact same times.

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    What if it was a real religion?

I'd say the bananatheist would make Dole very rich.

But since it isn't a real religion they'll just have to muddle on.

17. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    Who is supposed to define what a real religion is? In my opinion christianity makes the least sense of all the major religions, but it is a "real" religion. i'm sure if i wosrhipped the invisible elf that lives on my head people would think that that is ridiculous too. but it should be my right under the constitution to worship that elf(he's magical).

18. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    By real religion sleazo I mean one thats not made up here for the sake of arguement.

19. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    isnt that the point here on the senate floor, for the sake(mmmm sake) of argument?

20. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes but we're also not supposed to argue 'what if' ;)

21. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    Yes. but Devil's err Satan's advocate is not the same as what if.

Thanks for winking at me, want to get it on?
    ;)

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    'the other side' has to be set in reality still instead of making up a problem beyond anything that exists.

Of course if you do have a religion which has more extensive problems then Islam we can discuss it.

And you know it babe ;)

23. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    Right Islam is the only religion with problems. I dont feel like turning this into a bash christianity thread, but hypocrisy runs rampant in christian mythology.

24. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Since you reference that, I'll rephrase it.

Of course if you do have a religion which has more extensive scheduling problems then Islam we can discuss it.

25. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    If it doesnt affect their studies why should it bother you? they are not trying to convert you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.