main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Savage Opress

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion, I quite like the idea. Fair play, Maul's brother showing up out of nowhere is a bit convoluted, but the idea that there is a tribe of Zabrak warriors all in the same vein of Maul makes sense to me. We know that Sidious never intended to keep Maul around forever and only needed him for the first stages of his galactic plan (after all, he couldn't have used Maul in the same way he used Dooku to coerce entire systems into leaving the Republic) so all he needed was someone he could mould into the ultimate warrior - and if you're going to create the ultimate warrior, you might as well start by taking a child from a tribe/group/society of known "ultimate warrior" types.

To me, Sidious knowing where to go to find his 'hand of doom'-style apprentice makes more sense than him just stumbling across a baby Maul one day.

If Savage actually is Maul's brother (though as far as I know, it was only ever officially stated in the trailers and clips that he is 'the fiercest of his kind') then I'm sure the TCW will give him some unique characteristics - after all, they've made clear that they don't want viewers to confuse him with Maul. The likely changes in personality I would predict would be either he is significantly less obedient and more defiant than Maul - as Dooku would never have the grip of loyalty over him in the same way Sidious did over Maul - and/or be shown to be a lot smarter/cunning.

As for his name - it's not very original, granted, but I don't really have a problem with it. It's no worse than Grievous, the Mon Calamari, inSidious, inVader, Cad Bane, Lobot, "Newt" Gunray and, of course, Maul.

2. Koonster

Koonster Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2009
    Yeah, I guess its found more acceptable in the movies. The name Mon Calamari was always just comical for me. Slight references like Vader, Sidious and Bane are okay, but after Ima-Gun Di (Ima gonna die), tolerance for names like Savage Opress (Savage Opress) just go south.

3. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I just want to know why a group of Zabrak slaves all have Sith tatoos. [face_tired]

4. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    A clone would be fanyboyish.

A brother is just lame.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And why is that?

6. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    That should be the least of our worries. They could be some time of Sith Cult or something.

7. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    Because, as Gry said, he's most likely going to be basically exactly the same as Maul, back from the dead, and worse than being a clone it weakens Maul's character. He's even got the same Sith tatoos, just yellow instead of red, and Sith eyes.

Terrible name, as well.

8. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    If he is as good as Maul - it will also weaken Sidious, I think

It would make it seem like Sidious never trained Maul to be a Sith Lord, just painted him red

9. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    Exactly.

Sidious may have not have even painted him red anymore.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Meh. The name sounds too much like: "Mr Holland's Opus". Why does it have to be Maul's brother? Makes the galaxy smaller than it is, or should be. And what about the backstories? Maul, Ventress and the witches of Dathomir? I liked Maul. I did not like Dooku. But this? This might be the dumbest retcon ever. Make no bones about it: THIS IS a retcon for more than one or two people.

I haven't jumped, so no worries. This is awful. Although I do get a tiny kick out of knowing that this character comes in at Dooku's expense. If Tyrannus was soo much better than Maul(IU and OOU), then, they wouldn't be doing this...

Trillions upon trillions, and they single out two brothers...
    Can't wait for Maul to speak through the netherworld and influence his long lost loved-one. Cuz Sith care. Alot.

11. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    After Christopher Lee's character was named COUNT DOOKU I gave up with names

:rolleyes:

I suppose at Least Liam Neesons character wasn't Named Rob Roy Jinn...

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    At least you can say that the Sith purposely take "harsh" names as their Sith Lord names. Darth Maul might have originally been named Gus, as far as we know.

Keep in mind - Savage must be Force-sensitive, because he is suddenly being groomed as an apprentice for Dooku.

If it was "normal" Force sensitivity as we're used to it, it's going to make Maul (and Sidious) seem less powerful, as others have mentioned.

BUT: if the Witches truly have different Force powers and they trained Savage, he could be a more interesting character - someone perhaps that both Dooku and the Jedi have a hard time dealing with.

EDIT: BUT CONVERSELY: Still didn't have to be Maul's brother to be an effective character.

Sudooku likes this.
  13. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I'm still confused as to why Dooku is taking a new apprentice. Whatever happened to Asajj? I thought she was supposed to be in S3.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Haven't you seen the trailers? Asajj is in season 3, and in a big way.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Bingo. Making them brothers detracts from every character involved.

Our only hope is that only the leading Witches knew of Maul's fate.
    If Darth Paul and erebody else knows, then we have problems...

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It does sound a little convoluted.

Obviously Sidious decides Ventress is either becoming too powerful, or isn't powerful enough, and tells Dooku to get rid of her.

He tries, she flees to Dathomir.

Obviously the Witches are involved in bringing out Randy Savage, but I thought I remember reading that this is Ventress' idea(?).:confused:

Why she would be involved in helping Dooku, not sure, unless IT'S A TRAP!

17. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't see how characters knowing or not knowing stuff helps this thing in any way. The problem is how the audience perceives this whole thing.

18. cwquest1

cwquest1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2008
    I wonder if oppress is going to get a lightsaber, or maybe even an electrostaff? if not, first time he faces a jedi his staff weapon is going to get sliced and diced.

they need to come up with a cool new weapon for him, something aggressive. Maybe he could wield an electro hammer

19. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Ot will probably end up being A... double bladed lightsaber...

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Never said it helped.

Obviously, they knew enough to ask Dooku if he'd ever heard of Darth Maul and I was just musing that I hope its them and ONLY them.

21. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Did Dooku actually say that? If so. :oops:

That being said I would like it if Dooku was training Savage to be his own Sith apprentice, one he groomed to hate Sidious as Sidious stole and cast aside his brother. Could make things intresting as I have always been a fan of Sith "politcs".

22. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008

He hasn't said it... yet

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I wonder if Darth Paul ever got his own lolipop?

24. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    It's too bad they didn't make Savage Oppress Darth Maul's half brother.......

25. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh, snap!

No, it's Maul who's Savage's half brother.