main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO [SCJ_Cos] SCFF Official Costuming Night

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mistress, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I'm looking into a few leather connections as we speak...if we go in on a few sides, we should have enough to do everything we want. If we have surplus, heck we know people who need leather too... :p

We can always sell it, dont ya know.

Rancor keepers were my idea, too...need to get going on that whole theme. RDT and I can work on Nightsisters simultaneously.

Got copies of the reference pics, and have done some sketches. I really think we can do them and make them move. Maybe the choreograpy for Rav's chick fight can be used for both Sith/Jedi fights and Sith Witch fights.

Hmmmmm.

2. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    See the costuming and props thread for an important announcement for this week.... :p

3. deathlikescats

deathlikescats Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    Leather... *drools* Want... to... work... with!

hehe, 'scuse me. anyway... If you guys are going in on some hides, count me in. What are your prices? Or the prices of what you're looking at? have a couple costumes that could do with some leather. I should be having less money troubles in the comming months, hopefully.

Man... so cool...

4. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Doh. The thing wasn't posted here.

Costume night tomorrow is cancelled, since we got tons of stuff to do, and Rachel's gotta take her mom to the airport before the sun comes up.

RavLoc...If I go to St. Paddies, I'll be with the Klingons. [face_devil] Rachel may or may not be there...not sure yet.

5. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Also, I've been thinking about our attempt at costume night. And yes, I call it an "attempt." It was a good attempt, though. :)

RavLoc...a schedule would be nice for working on stuff, but at the moment...

And for everyone else....

We need to figure out what exactly we're trying to accomplish on costume nights, and then look at our actual limitations. Having 12 people show up isn't exactly productive. We've also only got 1 sewing machine.

Since C3 is the big worry right now, I think we should be concentrating on C3-only stuff, and everything else should be low priority.

Also, everyone should be working on their stuff outside of costume night, too. Costume night should be more of a "I need help with X" kind of thing, but by no means should everyone be doing the work for someone else. I'm more concerned about the people doing the sewing when I say that. Everyone either needs to learn how to sew, or they need to contribute something else (see "Offerings & Sacrifices" pg. 1027 in your "Care of Daemonic Beings" handbook), or actually pay somebody for their time. Charities are for the needy -- not for somebody who says they can't do this, or can't learn that.

As one of my ninja buddies would say...

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but please remember that I'm smiling when I say this. :)

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Next, I think if we're doing a schedule, we need a schedule for PEOPLE, too...so we don't have all of Pueblo showing up to work on something.

A handful of people...maybe 6...should be all we get, and then have a rotation of sorts.

I think this should just apply to Pueblonians -- non-Pueblonians are welcome to show up whenever they want on costume nights, since drive time sucks, and having to schedule a commitment would also suck. I'm not worried about all of Colorado Springs and La Junta showing up at the same time...yet. :)

If people are only working on their stuff during costume night, then we're not doing our job -- nobody should need constant help, unless it's a 7-foot-tall flesh-eating beastie. :D

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    And last...

As far as teaching people how to do stuff, I'm cool with that. The more the merrier.

BUT...

I can't teach anyone how to draw or sculpt. A couple techniques here and there, yeah...but I can't whack anyone over the head with baseball bat and magically bestow abilities...unless they just want to be able to sound like a Wookiee for the rest of their life.

Remember, I'm smiling when say this. [face_devil] :D

It takes practice, and nobody learns to do stuff overnight. I checked out a book here...look at a web site there...loiter at B&N and read magazines here...and then spent a day or two working on stuff with friends in Denver. I also did a lot of this in high school and college, and...well...most of life. It's a *LOT* of work. It also gets expensive when a mold breaks or plastic doesn't form right, or resin doesn't set up. The only way a person's going to know how something will work for them is to sacrifice the time and money themselves and try it out. The 1st...sometimes even 2nd and 3rd casting/pulls/molds/whatever rarely come out perfect until you've had time to really screw with what you're working with, and know what to expect.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that nobody's going to really get moving until they dedicate time to something.

8. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
  9. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I agree totally. 1st I know we can get 2 or 3 sewing machines if needed. As far as Priority, I agree C3 is the Big 1. I had an idea for St. Pattys to make little short green capes instead of long robes. I think if everyone pitched 5 bucks we should be good to make everyone a cape. Let me know.
    Later Days...

10. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I agree with everything you said, Zoom...especially the seven foot beastie stuff. :D

Sewing is not impossible to learn. My mom has been bugging me for most of my life to learn. I didnt want to. Then I met people who sewed to make costumes

hhm.

It made me want to learn.

For MHC, I did most of the work on my new and improved sith tunic with me mum looking over my shoulder, and this was on a machine older than me.

I just finished two complete toga sets, from start to finish, by myself. If I can learn, anyone can.

Maybe we could look into classes for those who dont know a thing, maybe one of our more experienced seamstresses could be bribed to teach such a class...if not, we all need to take the responsibility of finding/paying for/kidnapping the talents we need to finish the costumes we desire.

Simply said.

After I get back from Denver, maybe we should nail down a schedule of sorts. Rachel had a great idea for a big dry erase calendar, where we put deadlines on each project and work that way.

We'll see...

today? I'm still super busy planning for this weekend. Being members of both groups, thats gonna happen from time to time. Thats cool, whatever.

When this weekend is wrapped up, I plan on diving into C3 crap headfirst.

Who's with me?

lol.

11. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i will dive head first into C3 insanity with ya!!

12. deathlikescats

deathlikescats Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    I agree that one person can't teach a group how to do something in a day, or even a week. When I first thought about the idea of a workshop, I was thinking that if there was a project allready going on, everyone who dinna know could watch and learn. Just get an idea of what it was like.

Sewing night should not be the only place everyone works on their stuff, true. It should be a place to figure out last minute group ideas, help out with sewing of large projects, or do those last minute touches to your costume. Some people work better in groups, some on their own. It was meant more to meet and motivate, provide support, and share ideas. and yes, there should be no freeloaders. That's just not cool in any way.

I think the whiteboard 'o projects is a good idea, maybe something more portable would be good too. something that can be stored and not be erased so easily? say a piece of posterboard or something.

A round table of sewing should work for those who need it. I guess instead of listing what I need to know, I should list waht I know first;

Drawing/design
    sewing (basic level. Have made my own clothes)
    painting
    sculpting
    beadwork
    basic jewelry construction
    Wings construction (aka fairy wings)
    other art type stuff
    lot's of things I'm forgetting

This last sewing night wasn't very productive, but as a noob, I found it good to get to know all of you guys. I got the design of the nightsisters down and ideas were thrown arround. next time, if there IS a next time before christmas, if there's anything that needs extra hands to work on it, wether it be repairs, sewing, or final detail stuff for costumes in the works, I'm there to help (and work on my stuff too).

No one of us should feel like they're being exploited or used.

13. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    Since Wednesday is very close to Christmas, I move that this be postponed for this week at least, possibly next week, but we can wait and see for next week.

I have a LOT of stuff I need to get done before Saturday, and no offense, but you guys will just distract me. :p

14. RavLoc_Vos

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I know how you feel, just keep us posted. And a Very Merry Christams to everyone. Later days...

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Postpone this week?

Okie. Must...clean...house...

16. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Postponing one more week would work for me, too. I just got back to work today and learned I have two homebuilder christmas parties to go to this week.

so, gotta get purty and schmooze this week.

If we have some solid ideas and stuff to work on next week, and Zoom and RDT cant host, I will.

Lets see what we can come up with as far as workload between then and now. :)

17. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    Since we will be having the New Year's party at our place...does someone else want to host? If no one can, I move that all costuming nights are postponed until next year. :D

18. RavLoc_Vos

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I second the motion, lets all take the rest of the year OFF. YaY!! Later Days...

19. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    yah!!...since its thursday. [face_blush]

20. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    How does this week look for everybody? We have just a few short months now.

21. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    I think we can go ahead...rules tho..

Please sign up with what you will be doing and what you will bring and/or need.

IF we need to do a supply run, then that can be scheduled, but otherwise we need to be physically (not mentally :p ) WORKING on a project.

I think we should limit to 6 people, so the first ones that sign up get to come.

Since I will have to leave for work early the next morning, let's try to end this by 9:30 or 10, If we start around 7, that's more costuming than most people do in an entire week.

:D

22. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I will be there for Rancor work...my supplies are there, as is my help. :p

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    We are doing this on Wednesday...yes?

24. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
  25. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Well, we got a few things done for the rancor.

After that, I did some work on a super secret special project. :D