main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Self-made bread

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Skiara , Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Self-made bread is supposed to taste fantastic and to be very healthy, but you need the time for it.

Since I have some time left, I done one (still in the oven) and I'm curious how it will taste. Now that I sit here and think about my self-made bread, I wondered if you have done one as well.

Did you? How did it taste? Was there a special reason to make one?

What's your favorite recipe for bread?

And have you ever eaten self-made bread at your FF meeting?

I'm curious as usual. :D

2. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I made some bread today! The reason? Well, I was bored :p. And I love to cook, but I'm not that good at making bread. That whole yeast thing is quite tricky and I need the practice.

The result was fantastic! I managed to get the dough to rise and everything. I felt so inspired that I went to the store and bought some more yeast and flour. I'm going to make some more this weekend.

I like home made bread much more than bread you buy. Not only does it taste better, but it's cheaper and you know all the ingredients.

3. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I made homemade bread once. And I mean once. I've only made homemade bread once in my lifetime. Anyway. It tasted really good. The reason I made it was because we wanted some bread for what we were eating for dinner, and my sister who usually makes bread was sick. So I had to do it.

4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002

Lexi, you really did one today as well? That's funny! :D
    What kind of bread was it?

Just ate a piece of my fresh self-made bread and it tasted good. Not fantastic. But that's mostly because I put in a flavoring that I didn't like much. I hoped it wouldn't be that easily distinguished from the rest. But still it tastes good, next time I'll reduce that flavor and will be even better. :D

Speaking of next time... Maybe I'll do another kind of bread first. ;)

Mister, I guess you don't like baking and cooking, right? ;)

It's really nice to have a sister who makes bread all the time! Would it be possible to move over here so she can do some for me as well? [face_batting] :p

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I had a period for something like two years when I decided not to buy any soft bread. I didn't end up baking as much as I wanted though so I ended up buying a lot of crisp bread instead.

Still I think it's quite fun to do, and I always make sure that I have flour, oil and dry yeast at home so that I can bake when I feel like it.

6. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I made something similar to english muffins, I suppose, but I altered the recipe slightly. I can't help myself, I always do that. This time I added flaxseed (very healthy) and fennel (very tasty). I definitely recommend using fennel as flavouring, it's one of my favourites.

I want to try baking with sourdough some day, but I think I should wait until I'm not afraid of regular yeast anymore.

7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Sourdough isn't complicated. I've done it a couple of times, from a recipe on the back of the flourbag. Don't remember which kind of flour it was that I found it on though.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I haven't worked with that sourdough yet, but it doesn't look complicated.

You did the yeast all by your own, right? I always go the easy way and using one of those dry yeast packs.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If I remember it correctly for sourdough you mix the flour, I used rye flour, with water and you let it stand and mature for a couple of days. Then you take a piece of that and use it as a basis for the proper bread dough. I added a bit of yeast (25 g) to that bread as well, but the flavour and most of the raising comes from the sourdough.

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I ate a bit more of the bread mentioned above, but I had to give it someone else, since I disliked the flavor more and more. :(

But that didn't keep me from trying out another bread: Kalakukku. Johanna do you know that? It's from your neighbours country, Finland.

It's a bread with fish inside. =P~

This one takes ages (about six hours in the oven), but it's worth. It tastes really great and I ate more than half of it already! :D

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I haven't heard about that, but Finns are strange people. ;)

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Strange people, strange food... but yummy! :D

13. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    I made bread this week :) It was yummy. Fresh bread smells so nice =P~
    I like to cook things. Now on school holiday I have not much to do, I do lots of cooking!

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I did another bread a few days ago. This time it was a half-self-made one, since I just had to add water. It is ok.

I'll do a new one soon. :D

15. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I dont make self-made bread, it dosnt taste good. I love italian bread! =P~

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I made some sweet bread recently. It was good, but not as fluffy as it should be. So I'll test a bit more.

The name in German is "Stuten" or "Hefeplatz", but I can't find a translation for it. Does anyone know one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.