main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senior year of high school and how it doesn't suck

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 5' started by NYCitygurl, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It might if you're applying to a bunch of places and you're worried about getting in and writing submission essays etc. I found the school I wanted, applied just to that school since I knew I'd get it, and got my acceptance letter in October. If you're applying to Harvard, there might be more stress. But here's all the ways senior year is good:

1. If you're like me, you're less stressed than everyone around you, which is fun in a slightly mean sort of way.

2. A lot of your requirements are done. I got to take an easier math (stats), drop science entirely, and take a language for only half the year. Except for english and any other four-year requirements, you can pick your subjects (or at least you could in my school - not like take 5 gym classes, but I took more electives like arts and english-department classes). By the same token, the AP classes you have left are probably those you enjoy.

3. You get done with whatever college prep stress you're going through and can relax.

Those are the three I can think of. For me, it was mostly #2. Rather than taking science, which I struggled with, I ggot to take AP Art History, which was one of the best classes I've ever taken. I was able to drop Spanish for a journalism class. Stuff like that makes it easier on you.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It's still stressful, though.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You're headed into it, right? What are you worried about?

And yeah, nothing's stress-free. But I found senior year the easiest in several ways.

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll have to wait and see. Two AP classes aren't going to be the easiest things in the world.

5. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I have three AP classes, and this is my senior year.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I had 3 AP classes and I took 4 AP tests senior year. They're not all that bad; it depends on the class, the teacher and if it's something you're good at.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had 5 AP classes and took 7 AP exams senior year, along with 5 IB exams and various other things like internships.

Lazybones, Nat. :p

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    In Germany things work slightly different.
    Never had that highschool thingy, except if you count the three last years of school until Abitur. Those end with a huge party, a ball and generall crazyness.[face_thinking]

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Whatever, Jello, my APs gave me over a semester's worth of credit for college :p I'll take it :p

10. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    With this year coming, I will have had a total of 6 AP classes, how much college credit is that?

11. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    A little over a semester, probably. Though it varies by the college and depending on your grade - some colleges give more credit for 5/4s than 4/3s. Also depends on which APs they are.

I had enough AP credit to make me a sophomore immediately, technically speaking. Though for some reason, they didn't take effect until after the start of first semester. So, technically, I went one semester each as freshman, sophomore, and junior, before spending 5 semesters as a senior according to the books :p

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    AP tests are strange.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Your school is weird :p I just started out as a second-semester freshman. So I guess I get to spend 3 semesters as a senior :p

They're kinda weird, but they're useful in the long run. If nothign else, you get out of the gen ed requirements.

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I was able to pass my test this year, but I was surprised that I did so; I thought that I would get a 2.

15. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007

....what?

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    How many AP's did that take?

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Probably lots, but RJ's smatr :p I took a total of 6 and got I think 15 credits (I think my other four came from testing out of some foriegn language during orientation).

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Lets see... US History, AB Calculus, BC Calculus, Physics C, Vergil, Language, Literature... I think I'm forgetting something. At least.

I also had a summer class and some semesters with more class-hours than the 15 standard which contributed to the rapid freshman-sophomore-junior-senior thing :p

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I dono't understand you math types :p

And number of credits per freaking department can vary, too. I got a 4 on AP US and got 6 credits, and it took a 5 on AP Art History to get 6.

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I got a 4 on U.S. History as well, but that was the year before last.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We had to take it as juniors. I think that's unusual for schools.

So, depending on where you go, you could get 3 or 6 for that, probably.

22. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Yeah, I had AP history, AP calculus, and AP statistics all throughout my senior year, but my other classes were easier. At that point, I just wanted to get outta there.

Senior year of college trumps all IMO. It was awesome. :D

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    World History is going to be interesting this year.

24. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Depends on how it's presented. Learning about wars and legends is cool, but learning how to distinguish a person's social standing from his/her hairstyle wasn't my cup of tea. :p

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I hated our World teacher so I didn't take it. Art History senior year was a blast :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.