main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Serious Conversation Topic Wanted on the Star Wars Universe

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The_Revel, Apr 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Revel

The_Revel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    Hi.... Im new to the board and am lookin for a intelligent decent and serious conversation topic and since i cannot think of one at the moment i figure id do this.... any takers?

2. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Like what exactly?

3. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Like it is so dumb in EP 1 when Anakin "accidently" blows up the Trade Federation's Droid Control Ship

4. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Why is it so dumb? I never understood that. To say something like that would never happen is like all those yobo's saying the Titanic could't sink. That's just arrogant presumption, now as far as Ep1 has going for it. Is that the all knowing force had a tiny bit off a hand in pushing Anikin in the right direction. The SW mythos does revolve around it after all. So something like that happening is almost a slam dunk I would say.

5. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Well I beg to differ, I think it's childish, it's designed to appeal to kids, to make them dream of being heros like Anakin, I mean, we as adults know that such an event is highly implausible; the Death Star Trench scene in A New Hope was far more entertaining and far more realistic too, I'm sorry but to me EP1 is the literally the "little brother" to the Trilogy, to summarize it's childish!

6. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Your proving my point just by saying that.

7. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Proving what point, oh and what does the Titanic have to do with this?

8. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Are you stupid as well as dumb. My point is no matter how unlikly an event can seem, it will and always happen. Even with with no mystical thing like the force helping it along.

Now my refernce to the Titanic was this. When that ship was built everybody said it was unsinkable. They were so sure of it that the company who built it did not put enough life boats aboard becuase it made the deck look cluttered. Now look at what happened, the big boat hit a iceburg and sank. Something that was supposed to be impossible according to the thinking of the the time.

Now apply that to ep1...

A. The Droid controll ship was only ray shielded, so physical objects could still get through it.
    B.Anakin, probably the highest force sensative bieng in the galaxy is flying around.

Now look at it like this, The Droid controll ship is the Titanic, and Anakin is the Iceburg. The two are going to collide because the Force (ala the sea) is bringing them together.

Now do you get it?

9. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    So ure saying that the sinking of the Titanic happened because of an Iceburg which was possessed by the "force"? lol

Titanic meets The Exorcist meets Star Wars lol

10. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    And yet you still don't see it. Your a lost cause JP.

11. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Even I got what you meant.....sheez!
    Onto a differnet subject but one that annoys me to no end. The blaster marks on the Jawa Sandcrawler in A New Hope are too accurate for Sandpeople, right? If they are so crap with a gun, how can they take potshots at vehicles going in excess of 300kph and hit the mark each time, ala the podrace???

12. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    But the Titanic, well they always knew that if 5 out of the 6 boiler rooms were flooded then the ship would sink, but with EP1, a boy who "just happens" to fly into the Droid Ship's core and "accidently" press a button that destroys the ship, yeah and I'm a Jedi Knight

And I get your point, that anything can happen, but again, I reiterate my initial assertation that EP1 is childish

Oh dear this thread has turned serious hasn't it lol <checks head and body to see if it's same JediPaul posting lol>

13. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    If you say that then ANH must be childish, cause both films were aimd at the same age group. Young adolecent boys. In fact the whole series is.

14. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    But at least in a NH, the Death Star trench scene was the result of a well planned strategic battle move, not unlike a real battle move

Oh and if the whole series is aimed at young adolescent boys, then what does that say about us chaps?

15. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Nothing much, just goes to show that we can still find the child that dwells inside us all. If you ask me that's a good thing to have, means you don't take anything too seriously.

16. the_jaded_1

the_jaded_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2001
    returning to the SERIOUS CONVERSATION, Ep1 was aimed at a younger generation, as is evidenced by Jar Jar the miracle Gungun.
    Who else thinks he, like the Ewoks in RotJ demean the fair name of Star Wars?

17. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    In a world of infinite possibilities you can't discount anything. They might seem silly to you but that in itself does not make them any less real than the rest.

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I fail to see how anything that is a part of the Star Wars universe can demean it. I mean, there are plenty of stupid creatures right here on earth in this reality and it doesn't demean the rest of existence.
    Take the three toed sloth. Now here is a mammal that moves at the speed of the setting sun, and yet still doesn't have the sense god gave a mule to quit taunting leopards. I saw it on discovery. The stupid thing crawled up like three feet and started eyeballing this huge cat. The leopard ate it, of course. Circle of life and all that.
    What was I talking about?
    Oh right. Ewoks.

19. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    If you don't like Ep 1, then you have no one to blame but yourselves. George Lucas tried to give fans the movie they wanted based on the way the new novels and comics were selling. In the books and comics, everything is explained and everyone has a background. Even minor characters. George just made the mistake of trying to cram all that stuff into one film when he really shouldn't have bothered. I don't care about Midi-Chlorians. I don't think Destroyer Droids should be called Droidekas or that the gas is Dioxous. The classic trilogy was best because it held mystery, but that doesn't mean that The Phantom Menace sucked!!

20. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Personally I get the impression that most people didn't like TPM because it wasn't the same as the OT. A sad mistake to be sure, as you can't really expect the same sort of film after a 15 or so year gap from the last. Plus expetations were way too high due to the media hype prior to the release, no movie could ever live up to that.

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Good point G, well made. you also have to take into consideration that there are say 10 million people out there who all had their own idea of what they wanted Ep 1 to be. It would be impossible to make everyone happy, and in this jerry springer/ricky lake age it seems everyone pretty much thinks their opinion matters most. I'm not sure of the logistics of making 10 million seperate films but I am fairly sure it wouldn't be cost effective.
    Once you forget about what you wanted to see and just accept the film as it is presented (which is what I'm guessing you all did the first time you saw the original trilogy) then you'll probably find ep1 a much more enjoyable experience.

22. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    My thoughts exactly.

23. Dsource

Dsource Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2000
    Grieyls, I agree with all of your comments in here and I believe you have hit it right on the mark. Well done. My respect for you has grown once more.

24. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    It's logic, plain old simple logic.

25. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    A person who respects Grieyl's thoughts instantly loses my respect! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.