main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Set a Course For Home." Star Trek: Voyager

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediXManSerenaKenobi, Sep 15, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070605035405/memoryalpha/en/images/b/bb/Chahmoozee.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100814000816/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b7/DocSick.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071013192106/memoryalpha/en/images/2/2b/Sky_Spirits.jpg]
    VOY 209: Tattoo
    -Premise: Chakotay investigates mysterious symbols and visions that are remarkably similar to one of his childhood experiences.

-T2Q Comments: Looks like we're getting some of Chakotay's backstory here, whoch probably explains the title.

"I don't have a life. I have a program."

Captain Sulu, eh?

The way this is structured...have to say it kinda reminds me of Lost, being focused on a particular character's backstory told through flashbacks that (usually) relates to mysteries being encountered in the strange "present" world.

Chakotay ass crack was not on the list of things I was looking forward to in this series.

Was just thinking about sets recreating rainforests...never quite work, yet the artificial lighting flashes have their own appeal, so it's a doubleedged sword.

The makeup on this alien guy seems to stop just before the hairline, in which in looks like you can see the actor's skin inbetween..kinda gives it an unintentional mardi gras or masquerade effect through that flaw.

Not a bad episode- though the native american tale goes on a bit too long, that part of the episode is at least somewhat interesting, and the flashback structure works, still the stuff like the Voyager-in-Vortex stuff kinda pad things out (though it's notable for the brief moment of panic in Janeway just before she believes they'll crash the ship).

Average- though it's pretty decent for Chakotay development.

Trivia: reworked from a Season 1 story pitch. The B-story with the Doctor getting the flu was pitched by Picardo- the first one of his ideas the writers used. This is the second episode of Trek to use on-screen subtitles, after TNG's A Matter of Honor.

Up next: VOY 210: Cold Fire & VOY 211: Maneuvers.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    If you look above, you will see that I actually had GOOD things to say about this show.
    However, these Kazon just feel like Waterred-down klingons. They don't really seem to be a serious threat. Not at all. Really, another let-down in the decision-by-committee that the TNG series had.
    Now, they did need to do something to make Voyager unique in the quadrant, and "Most powerful Ship" line had already been done to death (not that they didn't rehash it again in Andromeda, but nevermind). So, they can convert energy into water. OK. No one else has that tech. OK. But, that it is impossible for the other races to figure out this simple way to get all the water they'd need, once they have decent FTL tech? No, that sounds like some exec read an outdated NASA/PBS brief, and decided it was "Legitimate science" relevant for the 23rd century.

First of all, the Klingons were not idiots. Neither were the Kazons, for that matter. And unlike the Kazons, the Klingons were not portrayed as sexists, as far as I know. This comparison between the two races does not make any sense to me. Are you comparing the two by their looks? The Kazons were led by a moron, Maje Cullah. But under Seska's tutelage, the rest of the Kazons actually displayed a good deal of intelligence.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you and many others that VOY was inferior in compare to the other TREK series. I'm not saying that the series was better. But after watching VOY, TNG and DS9 all at the same time around the same time, some ten years ago; I came to the conclusion that the three series were the best of the franchise. I prefer VOY over the others. But all three of them had their flaws that made it impossible for me to view any of them as perfect . . . or one better than the other.

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    criticizing paramount is not the same as criticising the show.

Of all the 90 trek shows, Voyager was much closer to the original in mood and flavor. I think the Kazon got better as time went on. The water thing--meh, there are bigger problems with the show. Like Neelix. Horrible character. Should have been killed off, sent away, left the ship, or something. If nothing else, relegate him to the background.
    No stupid families hanging around, right number of crew (100-200), better looking that the bloated saucer--stream-lined. Female captain would have been better if they hadn't made such a big deal of it. (Q hits every single obvious note!)

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I think the Kazon got better as time went on. The water thing--meh, there are bigger problems with the show. Like Neelix. Horrible character. Should have been killed off, sent away, left the ship, or something. If nothing else, relegate him to the background.

The Kazon got better, because they started paying more attention to Seska, instead of Maje Cullah.

I love Neelix. He's one of my favorite characters. He's not "cool", but who cares? I certainly didn't.

Female captain would have been better if they hadn't made such a big deal of it. (Q hits every single obvious note!)

They didn't make a big deal about it on the show. The media and many fans made a big deal about it, because they couldn't fathom the idea of a female as a lead and authority figure on a sci-fi show.

5. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Really? You are the first person I've heard say that. I'm not saying you're wrong, or that there aren't Neelix fans out there, just that I've never encountered one before.
    And who knows--maybe he does get better. Only seen him in the first couple seasons.
    Really? Because Babylon5 had Ivanova as 2nd in command for years by the time Voyager started. Even DS9 had several females in upper command ranks. TNG had several female admirals. One of the ships in Trek4 (saratoga?) had a female captain. And Xena had been one for a bit too. Was that really such a big deal? Or was it only because it was Star Trek, and not "one of those other weird shows"?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080813120245/memoryalpha/en/images/8/8e/Suspirias_array.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070516170627/memoryalpha/en/images/3/32/Tuvok%27s_blood_boiling.jpg]
    VOY 210: Cold Fire
    -Premise: While attempting to make contact with the Caretaker's mate (who may have the ability to send Voyager home), the crew discovers a colony of Ocampa whose representative has an interest in Kes and helping her explore her telepathic powers.

-T2Q Comments: Woah, this is weird- this is the first "Previously On..." we've ever seen that A) Is not a "Part II" and B) Does not begin with "Previously On...". This is almost like a stand-in for a revised title sequence or opening premise narration. Almost makes you wonder if the show might have found more focus if it had it's opening sequence begin with an evolving narration over the nature of their mission as an audience hook and something to build towards/upon...but i suppose at the time it would seem like too much of a B5 thing perhaps?

Worth noting that it's been 10 months since the events of Caretaker.. shouldn't that one crew member have had her baby by now?

"Lots of people but so little life" see that's when you play the "ship runs on bio-tech" card to shut him up.

Seems like the Caretakers have a bit of a Shadow/Vorlon philosophical disagreement.

"Vulcans make the worst patients."

Some of the "Kess join the darkside" training works, some of it is a bit too much and drags some. Having the girl with the deeper voice comes across a bit Corbomite Manuever-esque.

Not a great episode but not bad. with the developing of Kes's abilities and the followup of the female Caretaker plot, I suppose this one is Definitely Essential in what arc progression the series has currently- but since Suspiria doesn't show up or play a factor again it kinda makes the series look bad, or at least the characters- Janeway didn't even take tim to explain what happened to the Caretaker after Suspiria was captured (and no longer attacking them out of anger), so it makes Janway's decision at the end seem even more stupid.

Trivia: Suspiria's concept was included in the pilot as a "get out clause" (a means of changing Voyager's format) for the studio, who were wary of reaction to the lost-in-space concept. The use of Suspiria here without sending Voyager home indicates an increased confidence in the notion since the plot was produced. The director (who had previously worked with guest star Gary Grahm on M.A.N.T.I.S.) felt that both he and Gary could have done better on the episode. Suspiria is never seen again on the series and is only vaguely mentioned once more in the series.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100123114231/memoryalpha/en/images/f/fb/ChakotayUnderSeskaInterrogation.jpg]
    VOY 211: Maneuvers
    -Premise: After Seska steals vital transporter technology from Voyager, Chakotay sets off on his own to recover it.

-T2Q Comments: Being hailed by someone using a Federation signal- first example of someone (seemingly) using Federation tech that didn't come from Voyager?

Ah, it's the Kazon..not a bad trap, really. Tuvok could have taken more than one shot in that situation this is actually a pretty neat scenario- someone doing essentially a smash and grab for a piece of Federation tech.

Seska returns, so I guess that rules out the "nonVoyager Federation tech angle".

Watching this and The Sword of Kahless back-to-back you have the blood rival Klingon houses fighting for an object that would destabilize the balance of power in their society to now the blood rival Kazon/Water-Klingon sects fighting for an object that would destabilize the balance of power in their society- though there are differerent means to how that fight came about in the two examples, it's an interesting synchronicity.

You know, one detail I just thought about now, looking at the exterior shot of Voyager... the blinking running light(s). You never see their flashing visible through viewports/affecting the lighting in the room, eve

7. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I just started watching season 3 after taking a few months off. Season 2 finale left me feeling bored with the show. I'm about 1/2 way into season 3, and it is probably the most enjoyable of the NextGen shows. A little strange and strained 1/2 the time. Yeah, I never saw the show when it was originally on, and am only just now watching it since it is on NetFlix instant viewing (along with all of the other trek shows).

I remember way back in '87 at a sci-fi convention, Majel Barret was giving the big to-do about the new show and amping it up with props like the new tri-corders, and about the new uber-villains, the Ferrengi (with references to their pleasing reproductive organs that somehow never became a factor in the show... but I digress, as did she). Anyway. Kinda funny how after just a couple of appearances, the Ferrengi are now nothing more than shallow comic relief at best. The resolution of the not-so-stable worm-hole NextGen episode was almost funny, but not quite.

8. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I can't wait for 2nd Quest to get to where I am in Season 3. I have a serious case of WTF watching some of these episodes. Was this during a writers' strike or something? Some of these stories seem to have been written by people who never watched any Star Trek before.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The only writer's strike to affect a Trek series, AKAIK, was during TNG Season 2 (thus the crappy clip show season finale and abbreviated episode total).

10. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I won't spoil the episodes for you. I expect you'll find them all by yourself. May pipe in with my comments when you get there.
    Season 3 starts well, then... OMG/WTF? You'll see.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll be getting there relatively soon, i think- I'm a little further ahead in my viewings than in my reviews, but still have half a season of Voy S2 and DS9 S4 to go before I get to Voy S3.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/2/23/Caylem.jpg]
    VOY 212: Resistance
    -Premise: In order to free her imprisoned crew members, Janeway accepts the help of a delusional resistance fighter.

-T2Q Comments: It's a curious opening sequence- it's played like it's the end (or, at least, middle) of a big story or movie...it does add some punch, though the tension is kinda lost since the problem is essentially resolved 2 minutes after the audience first experiences it, so the desperate situation never feels that desparate to us (but the characters do convey this at least). Still I think I would have liked to see this concept expanded upon- Big Bad Voyager and it's Federation tech failing it's crew, placing them at the mercy of a lesser race to obtain the material they need to fix it. The idea of potentially stranding them without warp drive certainly has appeal.

Another lazy alien design- even the Bajorans have more nose ridge makeup than these guys!

Though it seems silly at first, the actor playing this unwell man pulls it off in a very sad way.

Aaron From 24.

The smile Janeway gives in response to "I like this strategy" is fun. Isn't it kinda curious for the main pilot of the ship to be leading a strike team? They have 30 seconds to get down there before they fire- yet Paris walks to the transporter room. Shouldn't they be going site to site?

Maybe instead of trying to throw off their sensors you should try MOVING.

This episode was actually a lot better than I thought it would be- the only major flaw is that it requires the crux of this race being practically all human for it to work, which gives it a bit too much of an Alpha Quadrant Story tang...other than that, Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: The initial pitch of this Don Quixote concept involved Torres and a Kazon. A different writer pitched a very similar story two days after the writers did- had they waited, the other writer would hav gotten the job.

Up next: 213: Prototype & 218: Death Wish (chronological viewing).

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Shuttle Atlantis rolled in today to the Voyager theme music. :cool:

14. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Cool.
    Good choice. Someone should be commended.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. That's a nice touch...

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050827203903/memoryalpha/en/images/7/75/Pralor_3947_eng.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070215185531/memoryalpha/en/images/4/4d/3947.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050829091335/memoryalpha/en/images/2/2f/BElanna_and_3947_workshop.jpg]
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050829171809/memoryalpha/en/images/d/d2/Pralor_ship_from_viewscreen.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050829091257/memoryalpha/en/images/4/4f/Pralor_vs_Cravic.jpg]
    VOY 213: Prototype
    -Premise: A sentient robot enlists Torres' help to make it possible for it to construct new members of its race.

-T2Q Comments: The POV shot intro is pretty neat. "This looks like some kind of programming center" you mean the part that is obviously a head and face? nahh...

Wow, this thing looks really cheap- it's like a bad halloween mask. It's like something TOS would have used- though the facial design evokes the protoype C-3PO.

"I shouldn't have to remind you that I'm a doctor-"
    "-not an engineer"

Did Tuvok just say "Our Tarkin sensors cannot penetrate it"?

I like the inclusion of the Data references- almost makes you wish such a crossover was possible.

"I'm going to try adjusting the flux capacitors.."

There;'s something about the delivery of "Is it possible we've stumbled into some kind of...robotic war?" thats just a bit too goofy.. add in Torres full-on "My god, what have I done?!" and, yeah... I don't know what to say about this episode... even though the Classic Cylon backstory machines-keep-on-fighting story is overused these days, it's still a good one- and there's a lot to like about this episode (and the battle with the Ha'tak-looking Destiny hybrids is more extensive than one would antiticpate...but the cheese kinda kills it with the cheap costumes and corny cliched lines. Yet there's enough good here that I wouldn't mind watching this one again down the road.

So, I guess Good Episode (barey), But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: Final Trek episode directed by Frakes, who shot scenes in ways that would make the eye slits in the robot masks unnoticeable. One of the robot arms seen on the table is that of Johnny Five. The Pralor internal comm beep uses the same sound used in the Terran campaign briefings in Starcraft.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050123132830/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a5/Quinn.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060211220921/memoryalpha/en/images/7/72/Quinns_column.jpg]
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050104025006/memoryalpha/en/images/9/92/MauryGinsberg.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050810060447/memoryalpha/en/images/e/e2/Christmas_ornament.jpg]
    VOY 216 (214): Death Wish
    -Premise: A member of the Q Continuum comes aboard Voyager, seeking asylum so he can commit suicide. Q arrives onboard to stop him, leaving Captain Janeway to mediate a moral dilemma.

-T2Q Comments: NOTE: Stardate indicates this takes place after 213: Prototype.

Another Q- a dysfunctional one at that. Janeway thinking he's "the" Q is a nice touch, and I like Q2's non-chalant "oh well" attitude to wiping out Voyager's male crew members by accident and being unable to remember how to undo it. Real Q arrives (though wearing the Voyager uniform- would have been nice if he had the old style).

"Oh, well I guess that's what we get for having a woman in the Captain's seat. You know, I was betting that Riker would get this command." [face_laugh]

"Did anyone ever tell you angry when you're beautiful?"

Oh, wait-crap, I just realized this is turning into a Starfleet trial episode... my spidey sense is tingling... but then Q calling himself to the witness stand is hilarious ("Vulcans.."), so I'm at ease for the moment.

Riker brought in among others..though he seems all too calm about the notion of Q wiping his memory.

"Without Q there would have been no Wlliam T Riker at all. And I would have lost at least a dozen REALLY good opportunities to insu

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Quinn was really enjoyable. Its also really interesting to have Q as the voice of the Continuum in this episode, since he was such a maverick himself. Hm, did you see that Amanda episode in TNG yet? Is it me or are there some parallels between this episode and that one, although this one ends on a sadder note (though this is definitely the better one). Either way, Q is always so much fun to watch. Still not sure in current canon if the Borg thing was just a lesson or just completing a circle (leaning towards being a circle by now).

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Chronologically, I've finished watching all of TOS & TNG so far.

19. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    they make such a big deal of Q s not being able to leave the continuum, but didn't one couple do just that and have a daughter in Kansas who ended up on 1701-D?
    And that brings up a whole different question in a later Q-Voyager episode.

DeLancie Q shows a lot more of his original slightly dark and malicious flair in this one. Pity he goes back to being pedantic comedy relief next time.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100123114760/memoryalpha/en/images/7/76/MabusJanewayKazons.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060220171415/memoryalpha/en/images/4/49/Sobras_surface.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050205050004/memoryalpha/en/images/3/39/Michael_jonas.jpg]
    VOY 214 (215): Alliances
    -Premise: Janeway tries to form an alliance with the Kazon.

-T2Q Comments: It would have been nice if we had gotten to know this crewmember or seen his friendship with Chakotay prior to this episode so that his death would have more impact. It's good that they're exploring Federation principles in more depth... that's not something I was anticipating anything outside of DS9 doing much of, and the comparison to the Klingon/Federation alliance is valid to some degree (and amusing, given the Water Klingon nickname).

Seska returns. Another nose/forehead alien race- could have just given them a cool visor or eyewear to achieve a similar, if not superior, effect. One thing about this episode, though- they went awfully quickly from "we have only thrusters and will be lucky to get warp drive working again" to "business as usual".

The (re)introduction of the Trabe puts a new spin on the Kazon...but the Trabe seem to be pretty well known, at least to Neelix...so why didn't he make a big deal about the "Kazon stole from the Trabe" angle before?

Kinda funny, given their shared "trying to get to Earth" plotlines, that Janeway's initial proposal would sorta make Voyager the equivalent of Galactica (albeit amongst a more heavily armed convoy). Also interesting that the Trabe potentially suggest a new Federation of sorts.

Would be nice if the Trabe's betrayal, as witnessed by the Kazon that Janeway saved by warning them, actually led to some Kazon tribes being more lenient towards Voyager.

Janeway's speech about Federation principles and alliances is all well and good..until you start thinking about the eventual Borg "alliances" of sorts to come (and the speech is kinda preechy and comes across as a tacked-on lesson too).

So this episode was pretty major, I think- besides the Seska subplot (and the apparently recurring crewmember traitor linked to her) and overall Kazon material, this is one of the first episodes where you get the feeling things could have a major, major impact and plausibly change the status quo by building something meaningful. In that regards, the Trabe betrayal, though portrayed well, feels conceptually cheapening- as if they had to force a reset button in there, no matter how much the show would have trmendously benefitted from the script succeeding.

So, one of the few Voyager episodes to seize upon something great- and though it sadly pulls back at the end from achieving that greatness out of necessity (presumably), to it's credit they pull things off in a way that success seems actually plausible (as opposd to one of those pre-ordained "of course you know this'll all go away/not happen by episode's end" vibe similar situations in Trek tend to have)

Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Originally, Culluh was to die in this episode.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050924000354/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ac/Hyper-evolution.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101104095709/memoryalpha/en/images/4/47/Paris_mutated_and_Janeway.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101104100257/memoryalpha/en/images/6/69/Cochrane%2C_transwarp.jpg]
    VOY 215 (216): Threshold
    -Premise: A specially-outfitted warp-capable shuttlecraft piloted by Tom Paris successfully reaches Warp 10, breaking the transwarp barrier. But the side effects of breaking the barrier may cost the crew of Voyager their best helmsman.

-T2Q Comments: Ah, this episode. Heh.

As far as the initial conception goes, I like the idea of them trying to implement new propulsion tech ideas to try and accelerate (literally) their journey home. Afterall, why wouldn't they? Super-Barclay showed it's possible (albeit currently beyond Fed tech to master),

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080712162958/memoryalpha/en/images/d/df/LonSuder.jpg]
    VOY 216 (217): Meld
    -Premise: Tuvok is plagued by the senselessness of a murder aboard Voyager.

-T2Q Comments: "I will not rest until I see you smile."
    "Then you will not rest."

Wait...the dead body guy's name was "Mr. Darwin"? For real?

Interesting- watching this back to back with Sons of Mogh, an episode that dealt with a mindwipe, here we have the guest actor, Brad Douriff, who underwent death of personality/mindwipe on B5.

Not unexpectedly, going by the title of the episode, here comes a mind meld.

"Try your luck again- tommorow you could be a winner"

God, please punch Neelix in the face, just one little omniscient jawcracker is all I ask. That'll do, Vulcan, that'll do.

So, this ends up being a pretty decent episode- though more on the strength of the guest actor than Tim Russ (who isn't bad either) or the plot, though the Paris gambling subplot doesn't really go anywhere, even though they hinted at something between Paris and Chakotay. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential/Potentially Essential (it's final state will depend on Brad's character's recurring appearances).

Trivia: The original pitch from a writing intern involved Tuvok melding with a racist alien serial killer, which would lead to Tuvok venting repressed feelings regarding humans. At this point in the production they were under a "great time crunch" and were writing shows as quickly as possible to get them "up on their feet" because they were unsure what the next show was going to be.

A psychiartrist was hired as a consultant on the script and Tim Russ consulted with two doctors for insights into the criminal mind. A cut scene involved Chakotay "dressing down" Tuvok for not knowing about Paris's gambling operation. This was Braga's favorite episode from Season 2. The scene where Tuvok loses control in Sickbay was included in a performance reel Tim Russ showed when seeking acting work.

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20040907120447/memoryalpha/en/images/d/da/Dreadnought_at_warp.jpg]
    VOY 217 (218): Dreadnought
    -Premise: Voyager encounters Dreadnought, a Cardassian missile that B'Elanna Torres reprogrammed during her time in the Maquis. Even though lost in the Delta Quadrant, the missile still believes it is on a Maquis mission in the Alpha Quadrant, setting an intercept course with an inhabited world.

-T2Q Comments: Shouldn't this chick have popped by now? They've been in the Delta Quadrant for well over 9 months now.

"Enough to destroy a small moon" Death Star, all you gotta say is "this could blow up the Death Star" ;).

This thing sorta sounds like a Cardassian missile version of the Doomsday Machine. See, now why couldn't they have used these alien designs for the Trabe?

Woah! that vaporizing shockwave bubble seems mighty handy.

"What can be done in 41 minutes?" well, Voyager could beam a crap load of people to a different continent, for starters. Also, you could watch an episode of Star Trek Voyager ;).

Self-destruct attempt #1. You'd think Torres would be smart enough to not waste air responding to the computer.

"Doctor, I forgot about you."
    "How flattering."

So, besides Janeway using a hella of a lot of torpedos here, pretty decent episode..not sure it quite clicks into "awesome" territory but it is pulled off pretty well and is a better Torres episode, than, say, Protoype was. The traitor subplot continues running here in the background too- though it's not adding up to much given that almost everything that guy has given the Kazon/Seska information on has been destroyed or invalidated by the end of almost every episode it seems.

Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: Directed by Levar Burton. A male voice was used instead of the regular Cardassian computer voice actress so that it would be more easily distinguishable from the Torres computer voice. Kes's mention of "a boy named Tarrik" refers to stand-in and background extra Tarik Ergin who plays Lt Ayala

22. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Finished watching the series.
    Mostly good. Nice when some of the characters actually develop a pair. Sadly, they usually hit the reset button at the end of most episodes, but every once in a while something would stick.
    Don't know that I would ever watch it all from the beginning again, but there were a few very good episodes. I think this was the next-gen show that was closest by far to the feel and flavor of the original.

Is it just me, or could you take 7of9's dialog and attitude and swap it almost interchangeably with T'Pal's from Enterprise? Snooty, arrogant logic-driven female who sometimes was incredibly bitchy... Maybe that was just considered a template that worked? Or they figured 7of9 was such a popular character they should just duplicate it and add the ears?
    Some other good stuff, including a rather familiar name at the academy simulation. An descendant of the first Enterprise's captain? Or did they decide they liked the name and brought it back when they started Enterprise?

Maybe 2nd Quest will answer those questions when he gets that far in the reviews.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll try- but I hope you like waiting, it'll be awhile ;).

24. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I didn't remember "Meld", so I watched it again. Neelix's opening dialog with Tuvok was great.
    "All your holidays are the same. Sollum, solitude, meditation."
    "I'll be serving a bunch of highly oily foods. And if people want to take their clothes of and chase each other around... Well... It certainly wouldn't hurt morale on this ship."
    Why is it that in spite of having been corrected at least once, Neelix calls Tuvok "Mr Vulcan" throughout the series. There are many times where he uses the correct address, but he keeps vacillating back and forth.
    Since Mr Suitor will be back, and important, the episode is essential.

Two things did annoy me watching this series on netflix:
    1: for some reason, a lot of the episodes started 10 seconds in. About 1/2 the time this was just an establishing shot, and no big deal, but the other half of the time it was important dialog.
    2: the audio. Normally I watch programs with the volume set at 20-25. 50 is usually enough to blast me back into the couch. Even with the volume set at 80-90 I frequently had a hard time making out dialog. Some compression setting or what?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Could be, the files I view require me to max out my speakers to get a normal volume- but I don't lose out on dialogue comprhension (at least, not like watching, say, a BBC show like Doctor Who).