main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Shaak Ti Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by grumpydevil, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R1-A2

R1-A2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2003
    Hi All,

Well, it's a month and a half away from Halloween, and I am starting homework on a new costume. I must say, this is quite a collection of Shaak Ti costumes out there. Love all the great pictures and ideas on how to make the head piece.

But...my question is more basic. Exactly what is she wearing? I've been trying to figure out from all the pictures and I was pondering some of the following.
    - standard Jedi Robe? Or is hers different?
    - black tank or wide scoop neck top,
    - some sort of Jedi utility belt? I can't find a good reference picture from the front,
    - dark brown skirt-a crinkly light cotton weave?
    - shoes - what is she wearing on her feet? standard Jedi boots? I don't remember ever seeing her feet.
    - any other attire points I should be aware of?

What pictures did you use as a reference? I have the "Dressing a Galaxy" book, but there wasn't much on Shaak Ti. If anything, all the pictures in this thread have been more informative.

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
    A2 :)

2. Mystic665

Mystic665 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2003
    You could look at one of the 12" Hasbro action figures to see what boots she wears.

3. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    My high res images from the FIDM Dressing the Galaxy exhibit....Shaak Ti begins here
    http://public.fotki.com/Kait/star_wars/fidm_-_dressing_a/11shaakti1.html and runs through #82. The permissions are set so you can download the full res version. However, foot wear is not visible under the floor length skirt.

4. R1-A2

R1-A2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2003
    WOW! Thank you, Jedi-Kai, for the amazing pictures! =D= BTW, took a peek at the other pictures you had there, very nice! And thanks, Mistic665, for the point about checking out action figures.

Well, next is figuring out how to make my costume and if I do go forward with this, I'll have to post a picture!

Thanks again,
    A2 :):)

5. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Use some tall, black, lace-up boots with a rugged sole. That's what the 12" figure has...

-Kyle

6. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query. :)

7. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    Not sure if there's still debate about her "demise" but since I didn't see the information in the thread...

Also...what is the rebel legion's standards on her? Do they have any defined costuming standards for her?

Be mindful that when you do the headpiece that the bald cap or whatever sits flush against your heads. Has anyone thought of using Sintra or Wonderflex for this?

8. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    There are no specific standards
    for specific jedi but here's what they say:

# The Jedi: Any light side Jedi qualifies for this category. Dark side Jedi and Sith do not. The films have established that most Jedi wear a variation of the same costume; which includes a tight inner tunic, a looser outer tunic, a tabard, a fabric belt as well as a utility belt, a large hooded robe, simple pants, and knee high boots. Most variations of this style are limited to different color schemes, different types of fabric, and variations in sleeve and tunic lengths. However, several Jedi including Ki-Adi Mundi, Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee, and Aayla Secura have broken from tradition and wear unique costumes. Luke?s all black costume from Return of the Jedi is also unique. Characters from the Expanded Universe have also added to the variation of styles of Jedi costumes. For this reason, the Enlistment Office handles Jedi customization on a case-by-case basis. Toy lightsabres cannot be used as prop sabres.

FORMAL: A costume must be a replica of a specific Jedi character from the films, or based on one of the three major designs of the Jedi costume. The first is the prequel era costume, which features tight inner tunic, loose outer tunic, tabards, a fabric belt, utility belt, hooded robe, pants and boots. The style worn by Ben Kenobi and the deceased Anakin Skywalker in the Classic Trilogy is the second style. The third and final is the costume worn by Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi. Formal Jedi costumes must stick to Earth tones, dark colors, and other subdued colors. Jedi with non-standard colors are Informal.
    INFORMAL: Costumes that are replicas of characters from the Expanded Universe, are inspired by non-standard Jedi costumes from the films, costumes inspired by Expanded Universe Jedi costumes, and original Jedi costumes are designated as INFORMAL.

Here's my RL page: http://www.rebellegion.org/user.php?userid=1420

Yeah I know from first had experience that it has to be against the forehead, as my headpiece would shift backwards with all the weight. The inital hyperspace pictures were really telling cause you can see that the head piece is securely attached to the forehead.

Never used sintra before, still trying to think about what to do, maybe have that bald cap across the forehead and do a separate mask on the face which kind of make sense when you consider where her face jewelry is placed. It makes sense that the jewelry was placed there to cover up the seams of the mask.

Also to confirm the boots, I sat with Orli at CIV and someone asked her about the boots and she said they were lace up boots. So that part of the 12" is accurate. I would not use the 12" as a reference though.... the skirt and robe are not black, but two different shades of brown but the robe pattern is correct. I like the sculpt though, very well done, way better than the 3 3/4 figure which totally threw off my first Shaak Ti costume.

I will be updating my links on this costume for reference soon but have to finish Rebel costume first for Comic Con, but here's a cool one we took at CIII.

[image=http://homepage.mac.com/laulandne/melissa/shaak_ti_plo_koon_kit_fisto.jpg]

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmmm, I've debated doing a Jedi with lekku, but not a specific character like Shaak'Ti. The make-up looks daunting.

However, we now have another of her species, Ashoka. I guess she gives us an idea of how much variation you might find among her species (don't know how to spell it).

11. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    I'm not sure if this is an old posting or it's too late to say this, But I have an extra un-painted head set with foam facial appliance I am going to post on Ebay soon.;)

If your wife doesn't have a set yet and your still interested PM me. if not no worries, allot of the suggestions and craftman here do such a wonderful job that I'm sure any direction you decide to go in will be fantastic.

THis piece was sculpted for my lead actress and is made of a soft foam interior with a foam appliance cover.
    The Lekku are smaller than normal since I was show casing a younger Shak Tii. They are made of foam with small weights at the end so they have that life like swagger when you walk.

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/IMG_0008.jpg]

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/CoF_219.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/CoF_220.jpg

12. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I'd like to make this costume too, but I'm not sure about the latex, as I am mildly alleric to it. For a temporary costume, I'm probably going to make one out of fabric (I want it for a parade in 10 days), and improve the costume over the next year, including making the correct style of robe, skirt and shirt.

It looks like the robe is made of a lightweight fabric, and is knee length at the front, then ankle length at the back, and there is a kimono-style garment underneath, that hangs open. I'm probably going to substitute her shirt for a turtleneck for the parade though, if it's cold that day. That also saves on the amount of make-up I'll have to use.

I'm planning on leaving the back part of the headpiece (lekku?) hollow, as I have waist-length hair, and I plan on putting it in a braid, then stuffing it into that part. That might be tricky with a fabric one, but with boning I might be able to acheive it.

13. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    that's probably the best way to go if you have long hair.
    My Shakk had the greatest long curley hair I had ever seen,but in truth it became a nightmare filming the fight scenes because it would pop out at the right angle and kill the shot.
    If you look close enough you can see some of her hair popping out of the back around her neck.
    good luck with the show!

14. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Beautiful Shaak Ti. Could you PM with your ebay link or your seller name so I can do a search on it? I am considering doing this character also.

15. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I also went to the local costume shop to find out about body paint for my hands, chest, neck and face. Very helpful people there, and I got the makeup for half the price I found it online.

16. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    I think I've posted this in other threads, but here's mine. It's not completely accurate, but I've decided that the next time I dress as Shaak Ti, I'm going to make the headpiece very similar to this one, but paint it a different way.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/delirium_dizzy/Costumes/shaakti.jpg
    I used a pair of tights to make the "horns" on the top. I cut the shape out of cardboard, turned the tights inside out and sewed them into the correct shape, then reversed again and put the cardboard inside. Then I stuffed them with polyester fiberfill and painted. The lekku are also the legs from stuffed tights, sewed to have a point at the end. My main reason for keeping this idea is because it made a very lightweight headpiece. If I trim the front that goes down over my eyebrows a bit and secure it better with latex or spirit gum, I think it will prevent the slipping that gave me problems before. I also like this method because I don't have to worry about my eyebrows. For anyone who needs another way to get rid of them, by the way, "scar wax" works really well, although it can be a pain to remove. You work it into your brows and smooth it, then apply powder and makeup.

WARNING: POSSIBLE "FORCE UNLEASHED" SPOILERS:
    Shaak Ti did not die in the movies at all. She escaped to Felucia and was tracked down by "Starkiller"(Vader's secret apprentice, aka Galen Marek). They fought, and she ended up wounded, then fell into a Saarlac pit. Once she is out of sight, there is a burst of Force energy, so it's fairly certain that she did die.

17. SerraTi

SerraTi Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2009
    I've been looking at the problem of creating a Togruta headpiece for several weeks now, and I knew that I wanted to used foam rubber- tipped with weights and covered in latex- for the headtails, but I just couldn't decide how to do the montrals without making the thing terribly heavy. But I had a brainstorm today and picked up a big block of white Sculpey on the way home. I figure that I'll make a framework out of floral wire, putting it on my head and taking it off as necessary, encompassing not only the montrals themselves, but also the small ridged sections that transition into the headtails. Then mold a thin layer- perhaps a quarter inch or so- of Sculpey over the whole thing and bake. I think that it will produce a light and relatively comfortable prop, while not impairing my hearing or squashing my ears to death. Too, having the top very lightweight and the headtails weighted for realistic movement will help keep the whole thing balanced, so that it's not slipping off. Will post again when I've actually done my experiment!

18. Darth_Larousse

Darth_Larousse Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2009
    Wow that looks awesome!

Sorry, but that's not correct. In the cartoon, she's just hanging there, moaning. We never see conformation that she dies.

19. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Great Shaak Ti costumes and head forms.
    As for SHaak Ti meeting her end, it happens in the video game if your charactor beats her.

20. Miba

Miba Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2004
    It also happens in the ROTS novel.

21. Furiafelina

Furiafelina Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2008
    This is the Shaak Ti I made for a special promo at Best Buy in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

[image=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb100/furiafelina/2625_94256643968_646303968_23871-1.jpg]

What do you think of it?

22. Furiafelina

Dec 18, 2008
    This is the best one I have seen to this date. Congrats!!! It looks awesome!!

23. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    A copy of that headpiece is in my posession- unpainted, mind you. I'm working on learning how to apply it, and I'm also using it as the basis for a stuffed fabric version that's much more transportable. The latex one is amazing, but would be irreplacable if anything were to happen. So I'm looking at making a fabric version that I can play with as well, and won't cause me as much grief if anything happens.

24. Furiafelina

Dec 18, 2008
    Your right!

Mine is in fabric, it is very comfortable, light weighted, has a realistic "swing" on the lekku, and it's better suited for everyday use and long distance travel. Plus the jewelry is allready attached to the headpiece.
    [image=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb100/furiafelina/P3285954.jpg]

25. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    I love this one! It looks very realistic even though it is just fabric. Well done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.