main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's the thing with all the "Moriarty is alive" theories. It asserts that Sherlock Freaking Holmes can't tell a gunshot wound to the head when it's literally right in front of him. No, I really hope he's dead. I just think they shouldn't have had a shot of Moriarty with the gun in hand. I feel like a lot of times this happens in shows and films because it makes for a nice tableau... but it's just that it doesn't fit, and that is also something Sherlock Holmes would notice. So Moffat should have.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Or maybe Moriarity isn't really Moriarity -- maybe he really is just an actor, and the real Moriarity has just engaged him to be his "public face", really just a mouthpiece much as the bomb victims were in The Great Game.

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Just an actor who'd commit suicide? No way.

Plus, it would totally destroy everything Andrew Scott so brilliantly built.

4. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Definitely agree on the second point. On the first, maybe he has leverage on him -- he got Sherlock to jump off a building to save his friends, after all.

What kills my theory (which wasn't really serious), however, is the scene in ASiB, where Moriarity texts Mycroft - pretty clear that he is Moriarity there.

Also, interesting who he thinks Sherlock's friends are. Watson is obvious. Mrs.Hudson not quite so obvious, but still fairly so. Lestrade? Bit of a stretch. But NOT Molly. Fully justified conclusion based on how he sees Sherlock treat her in TGG. And yet, if he had had someone tracking her, he might have realized Sherlock was setting him up. Oops.

That also brings me back to the post Everton made a while ago (I guess right after TRF aired) about what Sherlock says to Molly and John in the final parts of the episode. To Molly: "If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?" The telling John he had done research to impress him with the info about his sister (except Sherlock made the mistake of thinking it was is brother!) Is he really a fraud, at least to some degree?If not, why does he want them to think he is? To save John and the others lives, he only needs to jump. Why does he feel he needs them to believe that he's a fraud?

And what does Moriarity think he would do that Mycroft wouldn't to make him talk?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. How long do we have to wait for the continuation? Just shoot me now.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    So that his death and Moriarty's lies surrounding it are more believable. I think Sherlock wants to be considered dead. He has - for some reason - decided that his next move is best made under cover, and with his reputation in tatters.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, he wants to sell it. He may also be concerned that Moriarty's killers have been instructed to still kill his friends if they find out Sherlock's alive. I personally subscribe to the popular "Sherlock has to dismantle Moriarty's network" fan theory.

I too love that even Moriarty didn't think that Molly mattered. He even knows her and still just dismisses her as a girl with a crush. Molly clearly being instrumental in Sherlock's plan is one of my favorite things about TRF. I'll be interested to see how that alters the dynamic between her and Sherlock now.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Her choice of crisps? ;)

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    That would explain his statements to Watson, but what about to Molly? After all, she knows he's alive, why would she need to think he's a fraud?

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I never really thought that he tried to convince Molly he was a fraud. I think the "if I weren't everything you think I am" thing had more to do with his caving into needing her help than anything else. And he's also laying it on a bit because he wants her help, though I think he's sincere... in his own Sherlock sort of way :p

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Did I mention that I'm going to see Benedict Cumberbatch giving a talk on Sherlock next week?

Just throwing that out there....

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Did I mention I'm going to murder you?

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Right, off to meet Benedict :) Enjoy Strictly and X-Factor :p

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Also did I mention that Molly will be here as well. And I've just met JK Rowling.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You are literally the worst.

I love Sherlock's attitude towards guns and gun safety. I find it really odd that in that show everyone in the UK seems to have a gun. I'm not entirely sure that even Lestrade would in real life. And I'm almost certain John wouldn't have one legally, army or no. Sometimes I think Steven and Mark forget what country they're in :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Everton is starting to get second thoughts about this whole Prague thing now... :p

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Just found out what Molly bought Sherlock for Christmas...

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And Benedict looks awesome with a sonic screwdriver. :D

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    WHAT.

Random Comments likes this.
  21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    He did a brief sonicy thing. You had to be there.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000

I wish there had been a "I really really hate you" button.

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    WHAT?!

Random Comments and Everton like this.
  25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    There was this thing, and he said a thing, then this thing happened, and there was a screwdriver and everyone laughed... You know. It loses something in the telling. Oh, and season three will be awesome.