main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well evidently the people at CBS thought it was good enough for it to be the show that airs right after CBS's airing of the Super Bowl.:rolleyes:

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It has nothing to do with "good enough". They are just really, really hoping the young people who turn in for the Super Bowl who would never flip to CBS unless it was for HIMYM will accidentally see the episode and watch it. Because for the number of overall viewers it has, its demo numbers are embarrassing. And those are what drive ad sales. CBS is trying so hard to make the show hip. It's painful. It's like your grandpa trying to be cool.

Interesting performances? Lucy Liu hasn't given one of those perhaps ever and Miller used to be interesting until he started trying to play intelligent characters, which I'm sorry he just can't really pull off all that convincingly. He has sadly become pretty one note. Frankenstein was just him yelling as Victor. Elementary was just him saying every. line. the. same. way. There was nothing interesting about either of the characters, and certainly not about their interaction.

If you want a thread to gush about Elementary, I suggest you start one. Please stop subjecting this thread to the nonsense. If you guys want to enjoy a bad show, I don't care. But please, please stop babbling in here about how really it's pretty good. Every time I see an advert for this show I want to punch someone.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Gush? All I said is that it's a better than average show with some real positives.

I think you're just upset that anybody here doesn't think it's what you'd get if you put Hitler, abortion, Mars Needs Moms, and Pink Lady and Jeff in a blender. I'm not offended at the very fact that this show exists. I evaluated it on its merits, and its pretty good. End of story.

If you want to be the boss of me, write me a paycheck.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    No. People are allowed to like different things. Don't like the show, then ignore the posts.

Bacon164 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *sighs* I thought my eyeroll at the end would be indicative that the 'good enough' was sarcastic.[face_plain]

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think regardless of differing opinions on Elementary's quality, it's reasonable to ask that a separate thread be started because, well, this is a Sherlock thread. Would you start a discussion of the books or the RDJ films in here?

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Seriously, it's not a hard concept to grasp. This is a thread for a different show. It's not unreasonable to ask people to start a separate thread for a separate show.
    Just the sort of witty, mature response they'd have Sherlock give in Elementary. Wonderful object lesson.

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Wow - you really hate this show.

To quote the great philosopher Joel Hodgson: Just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax"...

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    While the show is in hiatus, it's perfectly reasonable to discuss other forms of Sherlock in the same way we've also talked about the casts other roles.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'd rather talk about the RDJ films than Elementary, then.

Or the books. Even better.

Chewgumma likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Or even just Basil the Great Mouse Detective. Anything so long as it isn't Elementary.

Random Comments likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century which is somewhat decent and a nifty concept.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It's perfectly fine to rip each other's posts to shreds, but comments about each other are over the line. Post, not poster.

If we compare other portrayals--from RDJ to the animated mouse (who, by the way, is absolutely fantastic--Basil, that isn't; I didn't get all the way through the RDJ movie)--it's fair to make comparisons to Elementary in here. If we're going to have a big disussion about Elementary rather than a few posts about it or a comparison discussion, then it needs its own thread.

It doesn't really look like my cup of tea. It is, however, CBS's highest-rated freshman show, from what I've seen. For better or for worse.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I think Rachel's just jealous that Elementary is actually on TV right now and Sherlock isn't. :( ;)

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I hardly think coming in here with a comment of "hey Vinnie Jones was great on this episode of Elementary!" without it having any bearing or comparison to Sherlock whatsoever counts. I haven't minded discussing the various adaptations in here before, even Elementary when it was first starting up because it made sense to talk about it a bit. But I hardly think people literally just coming in here to post their praise of another show and then saying that it shouldn't be compared to the show this thread is for counts as anything close to a comparison. In fact, I believe that's called spamming. I may as well go into a Marvel Comics thread and start talking about how much I like DC, while saying it's not fair to compare it to Marvel.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Edit: can't be bothered. Better things to do.

Rebel_Padawan likes this.
  17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I said a comparison discussion in here is fine but a discussion solely about Elementary's good and bad qualities needs to get its own thread. That is directed at everyone. Anything I might say to individual people will be said privately. If anyone has any questions or concerns about that, PM me; otherwise, let's get this discussion back on track.

Such as Cumberbatch using his crime scene knowledge from Sherlock to direct the Cambridge Science Fair: interesting read.

Darth McClain likes this.
  18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, I'll echo what Nat said - comparisons are fine, but in depth Elementary discussion belongs elsewhere.

Last night, a friend and I realized that one of other friends is Andrew Scott's Moriarty. It's really kinda creepy.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I rewatched John Adams recently and totally didn't realize that Andrew Scott played Adams' son-in-law until this time. Definitely awesome to see him playing a rather meek character.

And the science festival... very cool! It always amuses me how many smart, sciencey people he's portrayed. But when you see a lot of actors attempt it, you realize it actually is pretty hard to sell. You have to be willing to do the research so you actually know what you're talking about, and a surprising number of actors just don't go that deep. I think it's one of the things I've always appreciated the most about Benedict's performances. He really seems to put a lot of thought into each role, making them all really distinct from one another and suited to the script.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, I first saw Andrew Scott in "Lennon Naked", so seeing him in "The Great Game" was slightly bizarre for me. "ZOMG Paul McCartney is Moriarty!" :p

21. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Yesterday (from my perspective)

[​IMG]

Everton, Chewgumma, solojones and 4 others like this.
  22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that?

23. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I should probably add that it wasn't my idea, I got it off Tumblr

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That is really cool.

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm ashamed to say that it took me a while to get it.:oops: