main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should Luke tell someone in Ep 7 events from 1 thru 6 resulting in a montage?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Force_Wielder, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Will Luke or someone else possibly tell a new character events from movies 1-6 resulting in a killer montage? Could you see a young padawan watching old videos of events from the Clone Wars or battle of Endor or something like that for the newer audiences to enjoy?

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I dont think it would fit. There has never been a flashback or montage in any other SW film. I'm all for new stuff, and maybe this is the first time that one might make sense, but I think it breaks SW formula a little too much for my taste.....

Episode Swag, kainee and KevinM1 like this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  4. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    No.

It's Episode 7. You could safely assume that some familiarity with the previous 6 films might be wise.
    Expecting a montage wouldn't be too dissimilar to going to a restaurant, ordering dessert and a description of what the first two courses were like.

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think a montage is out of the question. But perhaps the visual representation of a vision/premonition would be in the cards.

kainee likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As much as I love Rocky montages.....

No.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Please God no.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  9. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    No, it hasn't been a story telling device in the Star Wars films thus far and TPTB shouldn't break tradition/or form by starting to do so now.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I was going to say no, but it looks like you guys have got this. :)

kataja and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    RotS had the first, and so far, only montage with Order 66, so I'm not entirely against the idea of having a montage in and of itself. However, it would be pointless to have one that just recaps the previous films.

12. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    In Ep7, such a montage would imply a flashback montage. Which I am totally against.
    And what are they going to show? Scenes from the previous movies? Or the old scenes re-imagined with other actors and changed settings?
    Neither of these two possibilities are acceptable...

And for someone going to see Episode SEVEN of a franchise he has never seen before, it would be stupid to complain that he doesn't know anything about it. What a shock, it's episode SEVEN!

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The (revised) ending of ROTJ is a montage as well.

14. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    If there is any clip that could possibly come out of the vault as a flashback, it would be Luke's deleted clip of him making his lightsaber that was cut from RotJ during a scene about Jedi training. At least it would be footage that isn't being reused.

15. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Nooooo. We don't need a rehash get on with new stuff

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    C-3PO narrated "the story-so-far" in RotJ...

But no.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Montages shouldn't have survived the 80s.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    A montage showing Jacen Solo's fall to the Dark Side & his Death......also Mara Jade's death & Chewbacca's .

19. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Who is Mara? Chewbacca hasn't died?

What crack are you smoking?

20. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Wow! That probably would be the most sad video ever created. If you watched it, you would have nightmares for all your life.

21. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The same crack I am smoking.

22. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Huh? No! That stuff doesn't need to be mentioned at all. It would confuse most people.

As for a "recap" montage, why bother? It's assumed the audience has seen episodes 1-6.

kainee likes this.
  23. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Wow... Even this thread turns into an EU debate?

Zoinks!

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    As a general rule, they really haven't. The reason such "bring you up to speed" montages, etc., were necessary and useful in the past was because, just like now, studios want the audience coming into the theater to know what's been going on prior to this film's release, but they can't ever assume that everyone in the theater has seen the previous films or knows what's going on, but unlike now, back then no one could simply open their VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray to bone up on the events of the previous films in a series before a new one opened, unless the previous films were re-released in theaters just beforehand. Take a look at the Planet of the Apes films; the further along you go in the series, the more necessary it became to load down the opening of the film with exposition to explain what's been happening in the series to that point; Battle for the Planet of the Apes burned away five minutes of running time just to tell everyone the stories of the previous four films, and for all that, the film was not improved - I would say it made the film worse.

The video market took all that necessity away, which is why, by the time, say, The Two Towers was released to follow Fellowship of the Ring, very little, if any, catch-up was needed; they just dropped you into the film and you knew damned well what was going on; you had the video already, you'd seen the last film, probably just before you left for the theater to see this one. There was some question among my friends at the time as to whether a montage was necessary for Towers, but unlike Fellowship, where they were obligated to use a montage to set up the backstory of the Ring, none ever was used for Towers. Nor was one used for Return of the King. It's just not that kind of world anymore. There was no montage from the original Tron to set up Tron: Legacy, just a couple of lines tops (and that was as much a character-establishing scene as it was a backstory/plot-establishing scene). Do they use such montages for the Twilight films now, for instance? I don't know, because I haven't seen them, but I'm willing to assume that they don't have plot-catch-up montages.

We then have to consider that this is Star Wars we're talking about. We'd have to go deep into the bush to find someone who never saw one of the previous films and has absolutely no idea what they're about. Few haven't had the chance to see some or all of them on video by now, and less still are so ignorant as to require such a plot-catch-up montage. Everyone who is likely to see Episodes VII-IX can now be safely assumed to have seen Episodes I-VI, or at least to have access to the video versions, when in the past the studio probably couldn't have assumed that. So why would there ever be a need for one in a business/technological/cultural climate where one is not necessary or even useful, and again, only risks harming the film by taking precious minutes away from what I assume will be the usual two hours' running time to retell the stories of the previous films, when this film has its own story to tell?

Recap montages - hah! If they'd tried using that story format in the first place, they could have skipped the whole prequel trilogy thing altogether and just had the relevant scenes reenacted and cut into when old Ben was sitting on the log in Jedi telling Luke what was going on. They could have done what they do now, and broke Return of the Jedi into two films to accomodate the prequel-era flashbacks (and God only knows where you break that story in half to even make two films). But they didn't, they consistently haven't, and it's no good at all to break format for its own sake.

I'll say it yet again: you can't improve Star Wars by making it not Star Wars.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope if you are going into a movie that is the seventh of a series that you at least have a working knowledge of events that have transpired already. Montages and flashbacks are simply a plot gimmick to get audiences up to speed, I don't think that would be an issue with this film.