main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Should New Zealand merge with Australia?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Geez. Give it a rest. [face_plain]

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Agreed.

Also, the Gatherer starts this thread asking if we should merge, then when we give some good reasons to he dismisses it. lol

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, Gatherer, FYI;

Recent article on theage.com.au

Britons have replaced New Zealanders as the main source of migrants to Australia, as the British economy falters while New Zealand's has become the fastest-growing in the West.

Bureau of Statistics figures released yesterday show that 12,510 people born in Britain arrived here as permanent migrants in the year to June, marginally more than the 12,370 migrants born in New Zealand.

It is the first time in eight years that New Zealand has not been number one. Just two years ago, when confidence in its economy was low, 25,165 New Zealanders made a new home here. But since then the combination of boom times at home and new welfare laws in Australia - which deny new trans-Tasman arrivals access to welfare payments - have halved the number.

New Zealand's unemployment rate has now tumbled to a 15-year low of 4.7 per cent, one of the lowest rates in the Western world and well below Australia's rate of 6.2 per cent.

In two years it has added 93,000 jobs, while in the year to March its economy grew by 4 per cent, the fastest in the OECD.

By contrast, British emigration to Australia has risen to its highest level since 1991-92, jumping 43 per cent in a year as the British economy has stalled amid stagnation in its main markets on the European continent.

Just thought you'd find it intersting. Maybe it's time for you to head over to the FFUK board and ask the hard questions? ;)

4. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > Maybe it's time for you to head over to the FFUK board and ask the hard questions?

Mind your language JP.

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
  6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Sorry.

"The difficult questions", then...

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    spelling it out veeeeeeery carefully for the benefit of SFL ....

FFUK
    (cue 6th Form snickers ....)

I just kinda did a double take when I saw it written down. Like when I first saw a girl wearing a French Connection UK (FCUK) shirt.

And on the same day that Winter very gently chastised me for my e-swearing in the Tangata Whenua thread. (I even had the courtsey to use asterixs)

Back to the grindstone ...

L

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    edit = These boards are strange sometimes.

Sorry.

9. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Personally, I think the only reason Australia and New Zealand should merge is so we can take over the world. New Zealand can be the good cop, we'll be the bad cop and we'll just force other countries to submit to John Howard and Helen Clarke.

"Please god, no! Anything! I'll do anything! Just don't make me sit in a room with Howard or Clarke ever again! Please!"

"Just sign this piece of paper saying we own you..."

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hehehe

(Hey Sil)

Helen would just need to threaten them with a kiss or a smile and anyone would crack. [face_puke]

But how could we be a "cop"? We have a fairly average army, non existant airforce and half arse navy. We suck, that's why we keep you close at hand Auzzie. :p

11. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Helen would just need to threaten them with a kiss or a smile and anyone would crack.

The same with Howard. ;)

But how could we be a "cop"? We have a fairly average army, non existant airforce and half arse navy. We suck, that's why we keep you close at hand Auzzie.

We'll lend you one of our Collins Class submarines and the entire cast of Blue Heelers. :p

[image=http://www.tvtome.com/images/shows/3/3/33-1172-sm.jpg]

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    You sure can lend me the one of the far left. She's hot. :)

13. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Don't fall for it sfl Its all an aussie ploy to get the worlds best rugby and netball teams by absorbing ours! ;-)

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    //torn between hot chicks and rugby//

Rugby... Girls...

Tough choice. [face_plain]

edit = don't forget our Badminton Graal. :p

15. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    I just want your country for Daniel Vettori, nothing more.

;)

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    What? Dan is a bit geeky isn't he? Not Doug Howlett? *Apparently* (so Graal's wife says) Douggy is quite the looker. [face_plain] :p

You can have Danny, who pokes his tounge out when bowling. :p

17. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    and Graals usual answer to the dougie issue can't be written as it may be deemed offensive.
    and no ya can't have any of our sports stars especially mandy smith! that is all.

18. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    What? Dan is a bit geeky isn't he?

Mmmmm. Indeed.

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Mandy with no front teeth... hmmmmmmmmm

lol @ Dougy comment. :p

20. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Why did New Zealand discommission it's Air Force?

NZ practically has no military now.

NZ, thinks that Australia is the buffer between it and the Asian nations... NZ thinks that Australia will be there to save it. I think NZ has a shock coming to it...

21. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    NZ didn't discommission its Air Force.

The Labour Government decided that our strike force (that's jet fighters) was getting too old and too costly. They never saw combat, and were unlikely to do so anytime soon.

If we ever face a terrorist attack, that might have been prevented with jet fighters, then the government might reconsider the decision. Until then, I say good riddance.

And if any country decided to invade NZ for whatever reason, then I doubt any amount of jet fighters will stop them. If Australia thinks it can defend itself from an invading power with just jet fighters, then you're also in for a shock.

22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    NZ thinks that Australia will be there to save it. I think NZ has a shock coming to it...

Did the australian goverment say this or are you saying this? YOU are saying this. And you are completely wrong. If Auzzie was under attack or had a disaster - NZ would help (look at bali and other things recently). We all help each other so - unless you have some decent things to talk about apart from saying "NZ is weak - we wont help you" which is crap because you are just a joe bloggs and have no say in what your goverment says or does... don't say anything.

[face_plain]

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I found out today that New Zealand is mentioned in Australia's Constitution.

Has this made New Zealand part of Australia all along?!

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Of course not. It mentions it because the Commonwealth of Australia will consider NZ's entry if it so desires.

I believe NZ had good reasons not to join Australia during its creation and those reasons still stand strong, if not stronger, today.

25. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't think so. Both our dollar and people are stronger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.