main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the OT scores be re-recorded?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Fat_Fett, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    No. I'm just so used to the original recording, and I'm very much in love with ANH just as it is, that any difference in the music would really bother me.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Sometimes change is a good thing.

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    The danger of wanting to "re-record" the ANH score, is that there is always the question of adding new material to the score. I just don't think it's necessary. This movie was released in 1977...the original score is from 1977; there's no way around that.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Williams already said that Lucas asked him to add the Imperial March to ANH. Sounds like we can't stop the change, any more than we can stop the suns from setting.

5. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, if the non-SE edition of ANH with the original recording was released on DVD, like with the ET DVD, I would be quite happy for the score to be re-recorded for the SE, but that doesn't look as if it will happen. :(

6. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I think the addition of the imperial march in ANH will be great. It will tie the PT & OT better together.

I also think they should rescore the Palpy-Vader scene in ESB with the Emperor's theme. That would suit better.

Finally, although I really liked the music during Vader's death scene, I had another idea. I was wondering why they cut the last part of the AOTC end credits, because it was just beautiful. But if you think about it: that sad horn solo of Anakin's theme, continued with a sad Across the Stars, to end with notes of the Imperial March ; wouldn't that be the perfect music for that scene. We have every theme that represents a part of his life.
    - Anakin's theme: childhood
    - Across the stars: love with Padme
    - Vader's theme: evil

Anyway, just my opinion! :)

7. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    I guess a re-recording could work, just as long as it maintains the same vibe as the original recording -- al la Jason and the Argonauts re-recorded album.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have every confidence that John Williams could pull it off after seeing the 2002 E.T. premiere with the score recorded LIVE.

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  10. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    This is a terrible idea. The music in the original SW is brilliant and flows perfectly. The PT should be re-scored. A lot of it is useless fumbling while characters speak.

11. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    The imperial march is the greatest musicsal score ever, and it only fitting that it should be added into a new hope. It makes the film more powerful.

12. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    Vader plays second fiddle to Tarkin in ANH, and no amount of Lucas revisionism can change that fact. Doesn't it make sense for Vader to have his own theme only once he is truly in command and in power (which doesn't happen until ESB)?

13. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    nice point bud!

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But it is not only Vader's theme. It is also the Empire's theme and has now been used in AOTC as such. So it only makes sense for it to be in all six films.

15. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "But it is not only Vader's theme. It is also the Empire's theme and has now been used in AOTC as such. So it only makes sense for it to be in all six films"

It would only make sense if they would have bridged the Stormtrooper theme from Episode 4 to Episode 3, or even 2, instead pretending like the theme never happened.

Once watching the saga in its entirety, (from a musical standpoint) it may be surprising (for some) to hear how differently old themes are treated in the prequel trilogy, al la: the Force Theme.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think the Force theme has been used very consistantly throughout the entire Star Wars saga so far.

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, it's pretty obvious that JW long ago replaced the original Vader/Imperial theme from ANH with IM (in the rest of the saga). Yes, there were a few other minor "alterations" after ANH.

Perhaps some of you think you are being treated unfairly with SE/UE revisions? You pray they are not "altered" any further? :p

Seriously, I would expect JW to do a brilliant job if the ANH score was re-recorded. Furthermore, I expect there will be some "re-scored" or "newly-scored" passages. As many of you know, I am quite in favor of this.

Of course, the future availability of a quality dvd release of the original trilogy is another issue... (Let's keep our fingers crossed.)

EDITS: clarification. markup.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Good call, my young Padawan. We think alike on this subject...

19. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Welcome, young strilo, I am looking forward to completing your training. In time you will call me Master!

:p

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hah! I asked my Dad about this and he said "Hey that sounds like a good idea."

Interesting...

21. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    You asked him about JW re-recording, or about me completing your training? [face_mischief]

22. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Vader plays second fiddle to Tarkin in ANH, and no amount of Lucas revisionism can change that fact. Doesn't it make sense for Vader to have his own theme only once he is truly in command and in power (which doesn't happen until ESB)?

You know, I think a lot people assume that Vader has to fit somewhere in the Empire's "Chain of Command". (See this thread.)

I say he's "simply" a Sith Lord, outside of the Imperial command structure. He has probably been assigned this duty by Palpy (retrieve the DS plans/crush rebels/aid Tarkin), much as Maul was sent to Naboo.

That being said, of course the IM is also known as Vader's Theme (see above).

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's a good point, Ken... I never thought of that. Oooooooh I like it!

:)

24. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "I think the Force theme has been used very consistantly throughout the entire Star Wars saga so far."

Well, maybe. The force theme in the original trilogy is always associated with Obi-Wan, Jedi or spirituality.

In the prequel's, the force theme is only used to evoke spirituality, or the force itself.

A shared theme nevertheless, but Obi-Wan should get his own theme back.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I see it more as John Williams usually overuses the new theme he comes up with for a given film. The Force theme, the Imperial March, Yoda's theme... all overused in the film they were written for. I tend to prefer the more subtle uses and the non thematic material he scores with after the novelty of these new themes wears off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.