main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Since the Pyrus topic is closed.....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by toochilled, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I've often thought you'd make an excellent mod, AJA, but you seem to be online and offline so sporadically.

Vertical

2. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I'd say that's an accurate characterization, but it's something I could address if need be. In all seriousness, I could say this about myself w/regards to moderating:

On the pro side:

1) I would take the responsibility seriously, and go "by the book" as much as possible. I would respect whatever rules or guidelines were set for me w/regards to my duties, even if I disagreed with them.

2) I think I have a pretty good understanding of what goes on in the forums, and some idea of how things could be improved.

3) I have the time right now to be reasonably active.

On the con side:

1) Without having had access to the mod forums, and therefore little insight into the thought processes that have gone into some of the decisions that have been made, I can't judge how I'd feel about the way things are being run here. I will say that some of the actions taken by Administration here have left me either irritated or scratching my head...sometimes dumbfounded. If I disagreed substantially with some of the current policies, I would voice my opinion respectfully, but I would voice it. If those who are currently mods felt that either my view of policy or my actions were irreconcilable with the overall direction of the Administration, I would be willing to relinquish my duties without an argument.

Basically, I haven't been too happy with the way things have been going around here, and I wouldn't mind the opportunity to try and do something about it. I wouldn't be looking to start petty fights with other Mods or "rock the boat" in terms of the "team concept" currently in place- my singular focus would be on making the forums a better place for average posters, particularly those who have been here for an extended period of time. Obviously, criticizing the people who would be making the decision to offer you a Mod position is not a likely way to see it happen, but I feel it's best to put all your cards on the table- whether it's a result of disorganization or simply disinterest on the part of the current crop of Mods, I think things have gotten out of hand on a couple of boards, and as a result a lot of good posters have been lost.

Let's just say I'm available. I've been here a long time, and having seen as much as I have, I think I could do a reasonably good job of moderating. I remember the way things used to be done when jasman and a few other were primarily responsible, and that's what I'd be looking to emulate if I got the call.

3. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Gosh, I'm speechless!

[face_blush]

4. Lil Wookie

Lil Wookie Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Yes! You got Jasman to shutup!!! Yes! Thank you! I wish I thought about that!!!!

Oh, Jasman, you know I'm just joshing you.

5. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    You two are crazy. :)

6. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    Hey? What? I take my medication! Just like the doctor perscribes. I'm stable now.

7. Trypanosomiasis

Trypanosomiasis Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2001
    Can I be an admin?

8. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    We'll see.

9. Trypanosomiasis

Nov 1, 2001
    :D I'd be a good one.

10. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well, as long as we are talking about moderators don't forget I am entitled to a set of explicit, yet tasteful engravings from each newly promoted person, its my customary right

11. Trypanosomiasis

Nov 1, 2001
    I won't forget, Humble.

12. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    LOL but I still think you should give Nathan some credit. he's done less bad things then many mods around here. everybody makes mistakes.

13. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    I still think Nathan should be banned for saying BREASTS in another thread. Nobody should say the word BREASTS around here. There is absolutely no excuse to say BREASTS and anybody who does BREASTS should be banned.

--Lil BREASTy

14. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Oh yeah, if AJA was an admin I'd be banned so often you'd think I'd just called Chyren a fairy princess.

15. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    [face_shocked] Lil Wookie, I'm appalled [face_shocked]

:D

16. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    (PreacherBoy)'' It was an honest and polite response. If you want me to discuss this with you further I recommend you chill out a bit.''

I am chilled Preacherboy. :) I should also point out that being slightly sarcastic does not automatically mean I am not chilled! Also, what bearing does my state have upon the question you so basely avoided?

I refer to:

(tc)''...please explain to my how allowing the public to see what I have outlined above would impact upon such a policy if it were implemented?''

I outlined a secure and translucent security policy which can be easily adopted to reduce 99% of your current breaches.
    Although you replied you did not comment on the merrits of the schema, yet stated that it was more secure to not allow non-mods to know the details of any security schemes.

I must say, as I hinted at before, I disagree.

The best security schemes in my opinion are those that can be translucent.

Let us take the DVD example, and their dcss encryption code.

Instead of developing a propper security system the industries ended up with a rather weak - but very well non-disclosed - security encyption code. Following the codes cracking by a 15year old the industry has continually attempted to supress the decryption code by legal means, primarily the millenium (digital) copyright act. This however patently does not prevent people ripping dvd's. It does help, metaphoricly, sweep the mess under the table though.

What I am saying is this:

Install some proper security or continue being unkowingly hacked.

Installing an open and translucent security system, such as the one I suggested, will not only make you more secure, but will also help reasure your users, as it can be seen to be secure.

17. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    So I hear that my IP adress is very similar to barry's...

[face_plain]

18. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Trust me, AJA, when moderators don't agree with something, we speak up. Heh.

Vertical

19. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    Well, I'm out of the running. I got banned for posting ":D"...

20. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Nope, that puts you at #3 on my list. Although, I'm not too sure about how consistant of a moderator you would be...

21. gundark

Jun 16, 1999
    The SC keeps me pretty busy.

22. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    No, the schoolgirls in the manbag keep you busy :D

23. gundark

Jun 16, 1999
  24. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Oh you...*teehee*

25. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Alright. Consider your chance to ban me back for the past "gone".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.