main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Small problem I've always had with Last Crusade

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Grieve, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    In the end, when Elsa takes the grail over the seal and the building starts to collapse, it seemed to me like it would have been entirely possible to escape with the grail had it not been dropped and kicked around, something that was not supposed to have been able to happen. I think it would have been better if the grail had killed Elsa as she stepped across the seal, and then fallen through a crack. I just don't like the way God didn't mean for the grail to leave that temple, but it could have easily been removed before the building collapsed on them.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Surely the fact that it didn't leave the temple, even though it possibly (as you say) "could have" means there is no problem.

3. westford

westford Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    But if the Grail had left the temple... What then? Maybe something would have happened, but since the Grail didn't technically make it past the seal, we never got to find out.
    OK, I know what I'm trying to say, but not finding the words... I'll think about it some more...

4. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    It was a self-fulfilling prophecy. No matter how easy it seemed to could have. It didn't. Therefore making the prophecy true

5. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    Obviously God caused the Grail to be kicked around so it could not have made it past the seal.

6. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    That's what I think too.

God KNEW that Elsa wouldn't run out of the temple as fast as she could... he KNEW she would stop and babble around. God knows EVERYTHING... or at least that's what people think...

7. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    It would have been no good past the seal anyway, just a cup.

8. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I see what you guys are saying, and I can't really argue with it, but still I'm not sure I agree with it.

On an unrelated note, **Spoilers for Return of the King**

Doesn't the ending of Last crusade remind you of the ring being destroyed in ROTK? Could it have been an inspiration?

**End spoilers**

And also, what makes you think the cup wouldn't work once you passed the seal? And even if it didn't work, it would still be a LOT more than "just a cup."

9. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Well I always thought that the effects of the grail worked only within the seal. If you drank from the grail then crossed the seal, immortality would no longer be yours.

IIRC (and I probably don't) one of the knights left his brother with the grail to tell a monk all about it. I'm guessing that he would also have drank from the grail, yet he died. I maybe wrong though.

Yes, you're right, it'd be more than just a cup - but who could prove it? ;)

10. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Well I always thought that the effects of the grail worked only within the seal. If you drank from the grail then crossed the seal, immortality would no longer be yours

Yeah, didn't the knight say something like:

"But the grail's power cannot extend beyond the grail seal. Such is the boundary, and the price, of immortality."

Not an exact quote methinks, but a close one. And I love how he says it

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.