main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So How Close is Swine Flu to You?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Has someone at school or work had it? Have you or a family member or relative had it?

I found out today that one of the guys in our IT group is home because his son has it. Luckily I haven't been near him lately so no problem there. Last week one of the ladies in the same group got an email from one of her kids' schools that some pupils on a field trip had brought it back.

I had the flu pretty bad back in March - I don't really want it again! I'm in one of those jobs where you don't get paid if you don't work, so I really can't afford to get it. So far so good..

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Couple of cases at my 10-yr-old brother-in-law's school. He has severe adrenal problems so any illness is a serious one. Looks like he's ok though

And my littlest has just had tonsilitis so seeing the news this morning about the 6-yr-old who died from swine flu after being diagnosed with tonsilitis was quite disconcerting.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    A child in my eldests class has it

2 people in the office down the road that we work with have it and 4 people in the office in Leeds that we work with (and had a meeting with last week) hace it

Our department is under surveilance as a result and me and the missus currently have colds (that does not show flu like symptoms according to NHS direct) o we are being eyed with suspicion.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    hal - I can imagine. I used to get tonsilitis as a kid and my parents had my tonsils removed when I was around 8. My younger sister never had hers removed and she's always had bronchitis, etc. (The fact that she smoked doesn't help).

On the news they were saying one of the symptoms is a fever of at least 38C. So if you don't have a fever you probably don't have it.

5. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    I work in a GP surgery. Our life feels like the pandemic you read about in the news. So far the closest we got to anyone was 1 symptomatic woman cca 2 weeks ago and noone caught it, and regulary the asymptomatic relatives who come to the surgery.

I had also had two-weeks' worth training cancelled because the school whose hall we use on the sportsground had two boys diagnosed.

6. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    About 3 weeks ago I contracted tonsilitis, on both sides, pretty badly. The last time before this was about 18 years ago. It was really awful and spent the next two weeks on antibiotics.

That's right. Officially we stick to all the usual flu-symptoms; fever or 38 and over being the first and most important. But it's always good to phone the doctor for advice if you have any similar symptoms. Fever can be a cause of plenty of problems. I always worry for the little ones.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The littl'un had a sore throat and temperatures in the 40s. Doc gave him calpol and ibuprofen. no antibiotics.

8. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    Lucky. When I was young they sent me for penicillin injections. I got off easy with the tabs this time around. [face_dancing]

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    When I got tested, my temperature was -273 degree celsius. The doc said I should be in bed, but I thought I was 0k

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    You always were cold as a vacuum hal!

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Everyone at work here is being issues with flu anti-virals next week.
    We're getting for ourselves and our dependants.

edit

for clarity - we're getting the medicines to take home and hold on to in the event that a pandemic hits. Better to have them in hand than participate in the riot / scrum at the local GPs when a pandemic hits.

12. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    And how do guys get your hands on those anti-virals?

13. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    we make them

14. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well...

One of my workmates sisters has it, and one of my fathers friends have it, oh, and the GP that was killed by it was from my surgery - because I work in Dunstable. So...

I'm quite likely to catch it, as I head back to Dunstable every weekend to work, and my sister and mother still live there.

Oh, and my fiance teaches at a Dunstable school. And I live in Bedfordshire, which is pretty bad currently.

So...

Yay?

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I live in Herts.

I didn't realise you were a EuroMod(TM) - you should wear that badge with pride

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    More half a sentence exchanged with me gives away my nationality, as a rule.

*chuckles softly*

So you were a EuroMod not a UKMod? Good man. :cool:

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    One person at work has it. Fortunately, she'd been off work for a few days before it was confirmed - only cried off with a sniffle to begin with.

19. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I've recently moved to Leeds... which is lucky, because theres a couple of cases in my old High school (which is down the road from me). Where I live now, I'm not sure how close I am to any known cases, really. My girlfriend is a primary educator, however :S

I was on the bus last night going home, and a lad got on the bus behind me and answered his phone:

"Hey Mate ... Guess what? Sarah has Swine Flu! ... I know ... I've been kissing her all yesterday too"

needless, I spent the entire journey with my hands discreetly covering my nose and mouth

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If Sarah is kissing multiple boys swine flu might be the least of her worries! :p

21. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Sucks to be Sarah.

I've just realised an error in my previous post. I meant to say 'a lad got on teh bus and sat behind me' and not 'got on the bus behind me'. My hearing isn't that good

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    All interdepartmental travel has been cancelled where I work and we now have 40 confirmed cases.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm just seeing the news about the school trip kids that have been quarantined in China. Hopefully that doesn't affect any parents here.

As far as I know no one in my work area has come down with it yet. The closest has been that one person with his son, and he was back at work Friday with no symptoms so far.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    During my stay in Australia I sepnt a couple of days in the state of Victoria where apparently 1 in 3 people have Swine Flu.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, we have our first victim in my work group. The guy I mentioned in the top post caught it from his son and is out sick today (and probably for most of the week). He had come in Friday but luckily I wasn't anywhere near him. However, one of the people in my area was in a meeting with him when he was in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.