main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH So....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by GeekGoddess, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    What the heck has everyone been up to lately?

2. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    A little of this, a little of that.

3. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Hmmm,
    Ihave been up to quite a bit lately. The wedding plans are in full force and seven months from now, I will be among the married. Last week, my fiancee, Suzanne, met me realtives on my mother's side. We all met down in Gulf Shores, Alabama for the week. To put it bluntly, me family has changed in ways that were not good and made for an interesting week. However, I was glad that Suzanne got to finally meet my family.

4. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah, meeting the other's family is always interesting. My guy just got to meet mine back at the end of August. He now understands me a lot better.

5. JasperMereel_

Sep 20, 2006
    Yea, I think my fiancee understands me better as well. Now we are down to my father's side of the family. As far as I know, that visit might go better.

6. Exalted_1

Exalted_1 Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    well... I've been working full-time, doing Online college classes, and working on that little lightsaber group i've been mentioning off-and-on. our new meeting day is tuesday after 5pm at rec-center near Harrison, OH. this will be our new permanent home as we can practice indoors & out.

7. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    He and his son got the grand doozy.. both side of my family in one weekend.

8. DemonJedi

DemonJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Hi guys any plans for the future meetings. Summers over and there isnt much to do out doors now.

9. unicornbee

unicornbee Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Ive been up to school, work, wedding planning (we have a venue!), friends, family, belly dance classes, renfaire, etc. Man, i'm busy

10. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Sorry I've been so incomunicoado,

Work was hetic from the time I got back from Ikasucon . . . well it still can be hetic but it's been slowing down.

I'm supposed to graduate in December, So I'm conducting my job search for full time employement. If you guys know of anyone looking for a good IT person, for Database or Sysadmin type stuff that has room to grow and is willing and eager for training to acclimate to their culture ;) Let me know.

So there's work upto and past 30hrs a week,
    Then there are 6 credit hours of Classes and their HW(one is technically a graduate level course)
    And then there's the Job search. . . which I've been told is a full time job in itself. . . and I'm believing it.
    And of course there is Menath :D [face_love] who has been very supportive and understanding about my needs to spend time with him and with my freinds through all of this. Don't think I could have handled this batch of stress w/o him :D

11. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Yay!! Where's it gonna be? And where do you take belly dancing classes?!?!

12. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Job searching sucks big time, and it looks like I may be throwing myself into that lion's den again too. After the begining of the year though, I'm not going to pass up a $500 holiday bonus and $600 of overtime. I figure I should have my assistant trained by then. I can only handle working with spoiled rich people for so long, then I start getting all itchy and twitchy. Plus I'd like something where I don't have a 60 mile/1.5-2 hour daily commute.

When I was first looking for a job here in OH, I went to several employment agencies, and there were some that also did placement for computer tech people. K-Force was one of them. Usually, if you just put a resume up on Monster.com or Hotjobs.com you'll get agencies calling you to come aply with them. Don't forget to apply directly with IBM and Dell too. And I know as corny as it sounds, maybe even Geek Squad. If nothing else, it'll be a stepping stone to something else.

Good luck hon. Don't get discouraged. It usually does take a while (took me 6 weeks to get my current job), but it can be worth it.

13. unicornbee

unicornbee Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Its in Fairfield. The Fairfield Banquet & Conference Center. We can have the ceremony and reception there. Beautiful gazebo for the ceremony.
    UC offers the classes. For members and non-members. So when the class start back up in Jan, I can let you know. I'm going to take classes then too.

14. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Yes, please, I'd love to get back into it.

15. JasperMereel_

Sep 20, 2006
    Well Guys, It's now down to six months and the clock is ticking till the wedding day. Trust me, I am excited, but a little scared. I have not left Fairfield in 22 years and now I will be in Fairborn, near Dayton. A whole new area. On the plus side, I go to church in nearby Kettering of whom I have friends from there who live in the area. Plus, I am involved in the church. So,it's not like I don't know anybody there. It's just, I have gotten attached to the family pets and the memories of my room. So, I know this will take time.

16. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Don't be afraid. It's the chance of a lifetime. It's good to have things shaken up and to get out of our previous routine. It opens up so many opportunities. :)

17. JasperMereel_

Sep 20, 2006
    Yea, your'e right, I guess, it's just takes awhile for me to adjust. I moved out a couple of years ago and to move back home due to financial reasons and had seperation anxiety then and am just afraid of having it again. Though last time, I didn't have a life outside of the relationship or apartment so I was pretty lonely, not like now. Also, both side are asking when are the grandkids coming around, so it's just a lot to take in is all.

18. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    You'll be fine dear, you'll be fine. :)

19. JasperMereel_

Sep 20, 2006
    True, that is most true.

20. star-killer1

Jun 7, 2005
    My legs are healing much faster.
    Then I'll be looking for a new job.

21. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    I think my employer has been paying me in an illegal way and I have made an informal inquiry with the Dept. of Labor, so I too may be looking for a new job sooner than I had anticipated.

22. star-killer1

Jun 7, 2005
    Hope it works out for you.

23. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    The worst happened.. they fired me yesterday. Now I get to file a formal complaint with the DoL. Joy of Joys.

24. star-killer1

Jun 7, 2005
    Stick it to them.

25. ImperialRecruiter

ImperialRecruiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    I bet they won't say that they fired you for that inquiry.

Best of luck on all fronts though. Personal opinion, but they ought to have to pay you full wages until you locate new employment.

On my end...

Too much OT lately, and not enough play time. We'll be getting off for a 'floating holiday' on Presidents Day though. I'm making it an even longer weekend and taking the Friday before off as well! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.