main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all!

It's come to my attention that my old art thread has been locked automatically here at the boards. I was just gonna ask a mod to reopen my old thread, but I found out today that most of the links don't work there anymore. So, instead of sorting out the mess, I figured that I would just start a new thread to host some of my old and newer art pieces and sketches. I plan to add onto this regularly as soon as I can get my digi-cam back up and running. But until then, here are some older sketches of my favorite character, Han. :D

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/HanSolo-drawing1.jpg]

This one is just a portrait done in graphite.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/hanimp.jpg]

I was originally going to color this one in with colored pencils, but decided against it. Instead, I scanned it into the computer and colored it in using Photoshop. This was my first time coloring anything in using the computer.

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Nevermind... I see you fixed your links. :D

Good sketching. The colored version of an Imperial Han is my favorite. :D

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You must've posted while I was going back and editing it. Man, you're fast. :p

EDIT: Gar...you did it again! :p

Anyway, thanks for checking out my work. Glad you liked them! :)

4. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Just really nice stuff. Hope to see more soon.

5. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, the graphite is awesome. Good work!

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback! :D

7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Both of these concepts were done for Episodes VII-IX, which I'm co-writing with a friend. We pretty much have the basics down and as we're working on the screenplays, I was asked to do some concepts.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/nevin-salla1.jpg]

This graphite drawing shows two of the new characters introduced that play major roles - Nevin and Salla.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/ep9-concepts1.jpg]

This was a quicker sketch and these are just basic costume designs for some resistance fighters introduced later in the trilogy.

8. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Nice job on both of those. The hardest drawings to do are the ones that come straight from imagination.

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, THEFORCE16 :)

I agree with the ones from imagination are the hardest. The first one I actually had references to look off of. My friend had an idea on what the characters would look like and he showed me a picture of an actor and actress and I pretty much drew them together and altered them just a little bit. The other one, however, was completely out of my head.

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I have a small update. Both of these were done fairly quick and they're incomplete. When they're done, they'll be part of a fan fic cover that I was requested to do. I just thought I'd share the progress with you. Personally, I'm not really happy with either at the moment, but I'll let you decide.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/Luke-ROTJ1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/Han-ROTJ1.jpg]

11. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    Holy Crap. Those are awesome.

Wish I could draw like that. Maybe in a few *cough**dozen* years...

-Semi

Those are cool. Keep em coming.

12. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I like it, Han, I do! I do!

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, thanks guys! Like I said, I'm not too happy with them and was a little afraid of the feedback. I guess this proves my point that I've been preaching over and over - we're our own worst critic. :p

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words! :D

14. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow! I think both of those are coming along fine! Can't wait to see them when you're done! :D

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, Zemog! Glad you liked them!

I'll be sure to post my progress on them. But in the mean time, I have one more character I need to put to paper for this particular fic. ;)

16. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    hey, those are really good, don't be discouraged. From looking at your other work I can tell they are not totally finished, but they look like the characters, so hey, that's great. I hope ya post the finished ones soon.

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you so much, DkSavior02! I try not to get discouraged, but it happens often with my work. My art seems to be the only thing that I'm very anal over and when it doesn't turn out just how I invisioned it, I freak out(for lack of better a word).

But like you said, they're works in progress and I have time to fix the little details I'm not happy with. :)

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Those are pretty good, HS29 - I look forward to seeing the finished pics..

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted in here yet! [face_blush]

Your drawings are wonderful. I enjoy graphite portraits a lot. There's something very honest about them, being able to see how you went about drawing them. :)

As for being your own worst critic, I'm right there with you! I'm convinced it's an artist 'thing'. ;) Rest assured that your talent is unmistakable. And I agree, drawing things straight from the imagination has always been more difficult to me as well. It gets frustrating when I can see an image perfectly clear in my mind but find that putting it onto paper isn't so easy....ugh.

The very first portait of Han in your first post is superb. Excellent likeness. And Nevin and Salla are fantastic. You were able to really convey that she is resting her hand and arm on him, that she is leaning against him. Giving a figure 'weight' like that is an achievement. Nice!
    I really like the new one of Han that you just posted. You've captured his expression very nicely.
    I look forward to seeing more!

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for checking out my work, LAJ_ FETT! :D

Obi-Dawn: Yup, those drawings coming from the imagination are real buggers. I find myself trashing those more often than ones I do from reference. As for the critic thing, I agree with you about it being an "artist thing." I'm really not that anal of a person, but when it comes to my artwork, look out. :p I also had situations already where I had to literally have my friends pull me away from a piece of artwork. I have a tendancy to overwork things and then ruin them.

And thank you for all the nice comments about my drawings. The thing I do best is portraits and people in general, so you'll see that a lot in my work. I'll be sure to post the progress of the recent drawings. Thanks again! :D

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Excellent work. I actually prefer the slightly unfinished pics; raw talent is more exciting than technique.

I'm always impressed with people who can capture a likeness. I've tried a few Star Wars portraits, and even using tracing paper to get the initial image I often find they look comepltely different to the actor I am trying to portray. Your work, on the other hand, is unmistakabley on target. You've got an eye for this sort of thing.

I hope you will post more of your pictures.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    soitscometothis: Thanks for the kind words. I don't really know how to explain how to capture a likeness. It just kinda happens. :p I guess it's with everything else - practice. ;)

23. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    I can't draw to save my life, at least not on paper. My sister can extremely well but I simply don't have the patience for it, all the work I do is off the computer. (it's not all sabers and starwars)

Once in an art class years ago we were supposed to sketch a self portrait and mine turned out to look like someone, but it sure as hell wasn't me.

There are concepts when drawing a face that I often don't get, and it's worse when I try to draw it by hand, but what I'm getting as is if you drew both of those off the top of your head and they still ended up looking like Han and Luke, then hell you have a good nack for it.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ehh...self portraits. I feel for you there. I just completed one for my drawing class this semester. I hate drawing myself. Staring at yourself in a mirror for hours is NOT fun.

but what I'm getting as is if you drew both of those off the top of your head and they still ended up looking like Han and Luke, then hell you have a good nack for it.

Well, I have to admit that I had reference photos in front of me. I took some screencaps from the DVDs and posted them on my computer while I drew them. Other than having the photos in front of me, they are completely free hand. No tracing and no grid guide. But I just wanted to point out that I rarely draw portraits from memory, I have to have a picture of the person in front of me to get the details correct.

25. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    And who was telling me "Don't put yourself down." and "Never put yourself down!" ;)

Your drawings are wonderful drawings of exactly what I avoid. Faces. It's a good thing that where some are terrible at some things, others make up for it. I know, I'm putting my art down again in complementing yours, but my faces, Oi! The best faces I do are of cats.