main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    It looks pretty awesome, but I'm a bit worried about the controller...it doesn't look too comfortable and I really could care less about touch pads...also that seems like an awkward place for a touch pad if developers actually want to put it to use.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, pretty good show, glad they announced so many games, as well as confirmation on a few other things. Glad to hear about new Infamous (possibly a spin-off or maybe a sequel, we'll see), and while not a Killzone fan, glad to see another one. Although when the Square Enix people showed up, I was afraid they would announce FFXIII Versus had been moved to the PS4, but otherwise mostly just a rehash of their demo from last year.

I thought Destiny was always multi-platform? Well, or at least don't think it was a 360 exclusive, but a lot of the upcoming games sound like they'll be on PS3/4 and Xbox 360/720/whatever, such as Watchdogs too (though even that is apparently going to Wii U too).

Too bad sounds like no legacy play, but instead sounds like PS1/2/3 streaming games through the PS Cloud thing. Depending on the quality of that, that could be exciting. Reminds me a bit of the jump from PSP to Vita, with no UMD drive and a stronger focus on digital copies of everything from PSN. If they have a decent PS2 library, that could be good, still not sure about streaming games.

Excited to see they're aiming for holiday 2013. Still no price or even what the console will look like, but that's what E3 is for of course.

Having Blizzard show up was a shock. I had heard rumors they had been hiring console programmers so people had been speculating on a console port of one of their games, but still good for Sony to show third party support. Forget if they said exclusive, but probably not, but still being the first to announce is also important, especially for Blizzard's first console game (even if it is a port) in... um, no idea. I remember hearing once about Starcraft on the N64. A lot of announcements, but aside from Infamous and Killzone, we'll see how many are exclusive. I wouldn't quite write off Nintendo quite yet, not that Nintendo is doing incredibly well either, of course, just that Nintendo exclusives are always important, but at least Sony still has a few.

Too bad not much Vita news (aside from playing streaming PS4 games on the Vita, but even with that screen don't quite see the appeal in playing PS4 on the go), but then this was the PS4's day.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know what to think of the PS4. The last console my family bought was a PS2, and we haven't had a Nintendo console since the SNES. My brother and I only ended up with a friend's Xbox 360 about a year ago, when the friend left town for an extended period of time, so we haven't really even gotten into the internet on consoles age yet, though Halo 4 has convinced me to do so ASAP.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That was a very strong presentation. A ton of features that were appealing to me. To you people in the computer gaming side of things, you have had this for a long time with Steam, but for console gamers to be able to immediately begin playing a game while it's downloading in the background is a breakthrough. Being able to suspend your game in RAM while the system is in sleep mode, also a great feature. The instant video sharing, spectator mode, remote assistance, all fun and great social features. Remote Play over the internet with Vita, obviously already exists on PS3, but it's nice to see it planned for an expansion to include also tablets and phones. The system architecture being so similar to a PC also promises greater ease for the development community, which is something the PS3 struggled with. After this, I feel justified in saying that the only things the Wii U has got going for it at this point is its lower price point and the Nintendo exclusives. Aside from that, this seems to do everything the Wii U does, only better. Nintendo is going to have an uphill battle, I think. It's going to be intriguing to see what Microsoft presents as well.

5. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I still play my Nintendo 64 on occasion! Harvest Moon, Mario Kart and Rampage!!! [face_flag]

Life likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The PS4 still cant do the asymmetrical gameplay of the Wii U- it just isn't designed to have the latency low enough between itself and the Vita, even if the Vita can take a game to go (if the game is designed for it) And though the share functionality of the PS4 connects to FB and Twitter, those are not social networks dedicated to gaming/a specific title like Miiverse. So there's some pro and cons to both approaches, but are definitely different.

Additionally, Nintendo still has a software advantage- Sony mentioned a lot of titles last night, but none of them are (at least, at this point) system selling titles- certainly not the ones available within the launch window. The biggest ones mentioned are either multiplatform (Watch Dogs, Destiny), ports of older games (Diablo 3) or mid-grade Playstation franchises that will do well but aren't system sellers (Infamous, Killzone, etc).

(And some of those will be even on the PS3, so one has to keep in mind that the PS4 isn't competing against just the Durango and Wii U, but also the PS3 and 360).

Now, granted, the Wii U's launch lineup wasn't better than that (and having Rayman & Pikmin moved out of the launch window and ACM being a disaster didn't help any either) BUT come this holiday season, you're going to have AAA system sellers that people wont be able to get on a PS3 or 360, let alone have to invest in a system $100+ dollars more expensive to play.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, though. each system (at least, as far as we know of the Durango) is going to be offering something very different from the other for the first time in probably 17 years (during the N64/PSX/DC era), ironically in spite of the greater proliferation of multiplatform releases.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Meh. I disagree with pretty much everything you just wrote.

Find the Door likes this.
  8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This isn't surprising, because Quest is an unapologetic Nintendo fanboy. :p I don't think Mario/Zelda actually are as big system sellers as they used to be. They sell to the same group of people every console but they're not going up. BLOPS2 sold more copies in 2 weeks (albeit on 2 platforms) than Galaxy 2 did ever. And people don't want to play games like that with a tablet controller I'm pretty sure.

However this isn't a console wars thread. :p

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    No, launching Wii U without Mario or Zelda was HUGE, and hugely stupid. I like Nintendo, but my brother is a big Nintendo fanboy who wanted to get a WiiU on day one and couldn't. But he's glad now that he didn't because there's nothing to play on it and he's now much more excited about PS4. He's been playing his roommate's PS3 for a couple years now and really enjoys stuff from Naughty Dawg and Quantic Dream. Those would be my personal system sellers. I'm hoping that while they've been working on Last of Us, that ND has secretly had another team working on Uncharted 4. Perhaps not as a day 1 launch game for PS4, but maybe not too far off. That's what would get me to buy it/ask for it for Christmas.

I don't really see how it's different than the other dual shocks. Yeah, the screen's in a weird place and I'm not sure how well it'll work. But I also don't know how much that'll be used in games. The rest looks pretty much the same. I just hope that Pelican and/or Snakebyte who made these for the PS3 dual shocks makes them again, because I really can't play without them:
    [​IMG]

Seriously, what is with the concave triggers playstation.

Anyway, on the whole I think it's promising. I really, really wish that it could play PS3 games, which they confirmed today to no one's surprise that it won't. *sigh* So just hope your legacy systems don't ever break. Unless they let me get my Uncharted games off the cloud for *free* that's not super appealing to me.

As to the social part... I mean, the thing is, you don't *have* to do any of that. It doesn't really appeal much to me, but it usually doesn't get in the way of games either. I just ignore it or turn it off. I have to say, though, I'd never really even thought about the option of watching a friend's playsession, though. That I would probably actually do. My boyfriend lives in another city in the state and I enjoy watching him play games and vice versa. It might be nice to 'hang out' with him while he's playing or to entertain him with my inability to aim from afar :p

Asterix_of_Gaul likes this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It won't play PS3 games natively but it could through some sort of emulation software.

11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    The ps4 doesn't look like it will be worth buying for at least 3 years into the system, much like any new console. I don't care for the social networking nonsense, it seems like that is a bigger priority over games. Yes they showed games, but there wasn't anything EXCITING shown. Wait for Naughty Dog's new game in a few years.

I am really not impressed with the PS4, so I think I will finally buy myself a Nintendo home console ( Wii U). The fact that I can also enjoy Wii games is a huge plus. I sincerely hope Microsofts next console will have backward compatibility with 360 discs or at least xbox 360 digital content

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think the controller's pretty different. The sticks are concave, the dpad slides in, the triggers are either straight or slightly convex and the grips are differently shaped and much bigger. Overall the controller looks bigger too. I think it's a big improvement.

Doubt it has enough grunt to emulate a PS3 effectively.

Life likes this.
  13. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that's always a problem with most consoles, there's never quite that many killer games at launch. Especially with how almost everything is multi-platform these days. And with the PS3 still having quite a few excellent games, some being released only six months or so earlier (such as the Last of Us). Infamous was pretty good, but wasn't huge, and same with Killzone. If Naughty Dog had shown something, maybe. If Destiny releases before the next Xbox, and the PS4 version is significantly better than the PS3 version, maybe (same with Watch Dogs). Maybe with Diablo too (was thinking of getting it on PC sometimes once the price drops more, but even less of a rush now that I hear its coming to PS3/4, if only to see how good/bad the graphics will be).

The lack of PS3 compatibility, even digital games, is a bit of a letdown though. I was hoping to at least be able to play PSN games, but sounds like the emphasis is on streaming and Gaikai and all that. If there's a lot available for streaming, it won't be a problem, but... in the beginning, I doubt there will be that much. I bought a PS3 relatively early on when they announced they were taking out the PS2 compatibility, although that one eventually died and then I moved onto a Slim, but still, for the Vita too, the ability to play PSP and Vita games is a plus.

Also still worried about the price. They're not doing that great financially, so selling at a loss will only hurt them, but some people still remember how much the original PS3 cost too, and the Vita is still a sore spot too (especially with them saying no western price cut, but you never know). Of course they're saving big news for E3 too, but not even hinting at the price probably isn't a great sign.

14. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    The grips look so meaty that they might make my hands tired after extended play (not the show :p). They just don't look comfortable. I like the form-fitting grips on the gamecube wavebird the best--that's a better direction than fat stubs :p

I never thought the playstation controller was very comfortable and was hoping for more of a change than an enhancement. But, I mean, it's alright..it's not awful :p

15. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Also, the ps4 controller has no "start" or "select" buttons...I'm not sure that's been mentioned much. Those have been replaced by "share" and "options"...maybe "options" is the new "start"

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Or perhaps similar functions will be covered by the touch screen. I wonder what that will do to controller battery life.

17. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It's not a video touch screen, it's a touch pad like the one underneath the Vita, or on a laptop. You probably knew this already, but the term 'screen' can be a bit misleading. As for its effect on battery life... would that have a great effect on battery life? I wouldn't think so.

18. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I think the lack of ps3/ps2/ps1 compatibility is a pretty huge flaw if you ask me. It makes a high price tag very hard to stomach. I would a lot more comfortable paying $400 to $500 for a system that I can play a lot of games on right out of the box, even if they are old games. I would buy new ps2 games to play on my ps3 in its launch days.

Their streaming ps1-ps3 games looks like a pipedream, I highly doubt it will work well if it all. I don't want to pay for my old games again too.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I could probably justify the cost if it played PS3 games as well since I don't have a PS3. However there would have to be some good games for me to shell out for it as it's described now.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Not having backwards compatibility could have huge consequences for the console. Early adoption is likely to be slower, and as a result, we'll likely see many PS4 games also on PS3 due to it already having a large installed user base.

However, how easy is it to port from the PS4 to the PS3? The PS3's Cell architecture is notoriously difficult to program for, whereas the PS4 uses an x86-64 CPU, which is pretty much PC architecture, which will be much easier to program for.

If the PS4 doesn't sell well to begin with, it's possible we'll have devs pass on the PS4 and just make their games for the PS3. Which would be bad for the PS4, obviously.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not really trying to approach it from a fanboy POV- a lot of people have been putting off buying a Wii U until a 3D Mario or Zelda game hits (or Smash, Kart, etc). So those will be moving systems. Infamous and KillZone (particularly the latter, as evidenced by the PS3 launch) will not.

Not saying they're bad games but they're not Uncharted or God of War or Metal Gear (the equivalent to the AAA Nintendo franchises) where they'll be swaying purchases away from the competition (or current gen systems).

Regardless, games that come out a year after a system launch are almost always going to have a production quality advantage over launch titles- its pretty much the nature of the beast as it has always been.

Beyond that, there's not much in my previous post that's opinion based*- the two systems are approaching social media integration in different ways and the Vita cannot emulate the Gamepad's functionality as far as game design goes.

*Unless you feel the PSX, N64 & DC were more similar to one another than I suggested? ;)

Edit- now we need to keep up tradition and come up with an appropriate song-related pun for the thread title... :)

22. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  23. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I feel like Sony is a sinking ship, so I am getting off. After seeing the slow Wii U sales, I think the ps4 will move even slower on launch. It does have an advantage of the ps3 launch in that "Not killzone 4" and "Not infamous 3" are part of established series and will draw more interest than the ps3 launch titles.

After being burned by Sony, I am looking at the Wii U. Possibly the NEXTBOX too if it has backward compatibility. With the Wii U, I can play the best Wii titles and Wii U titles. I never bought a Wii because I knew it wouldn't be played much, so having Wii functionality in the Wii U is a major plus in my book.

Its one thing to have no backward physical compatability, but no have no digital compatability with all my purchases is just ridiculous. I just cannot see Microsoft doing the same thing. Maybe they won't have no physical compatibility but it will likely carry over xbox live stuff.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    KillZone was already established by time KZ2 hit (which was either launch or near-launch for PS3, IIRC). The first was on PS2 and had a spinoff on PSP.

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Although based on reading the gaming news sites, sounds like Killzone also set the bar a little high, with apparently Killzone 2 having a very good trailer video and demonstrations of in-game video, but... then didn't quite live up to that standard, or the game itself wasn't super-great or both. Killzone 3 didn't help (didn't hurt, but also wasn't a classic). After that, expectations were lowered. Still hard to tell how much better the PS4 will be, since screen shots and streaming video aren't the best sources.

I agree that not even being able to play PS3 games digitally sounds like a problem, but I've heard that that PS3's architecture is complicated or something, but still sad that apparently not even the PSN versions are compatible. They might add it in later, but that's not a reassuring answer. And I don't trust cloud gaming that much. I wouldn't have minded even being able to still play PS3 discs, but I'm not surprised about that part. Was Blu-ray mentioned so far? It probably still has a blu-ray drive, its just not that big of a feature anymore.