main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spielberg ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by NyLonathatep, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bookedout

Bookedout Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    That's what he has Rick McCallum for! :)

2. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas didn't even know how to check e-mail."

If Lucas was able to check out fan forums during the making of TPM (for the six weeks he lasted on them) I'm sure he can check his email. ;)

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I need to get away from this thread....

runs, hides.....

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    AI was great!!

5. Merton9999

Merton9999 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I think it's worthless to make comments like "Spielberg sucks" and "AI sucks" on a questions like this. The important point is not who is a better director over all, which is totally subjective and impossible to answer when it comes to two men who are so popular, accomplished and legendary.

The point is whether Spielberg would make a good Star Wars. Two directors can both be great, but their style may not fit certain movies. This is absolutely the case with Spielberg and Star Wars.

Minority Report and AI may have looked "interesting" but the visual imagery, use of color and symbolism are nowhere near what we're blessed with in AOTC. GL tells so much of his story and gives life to the characters through colorful sunsets, furious motion, fog, neon lights, romantic waterfalls and dresses made of leather.

Spielberg manages to make everything look so desaturated that I'm almost forced to pay attention only to what the actor is saying to get anything out of a scene. That may be what he wants, but that is not why I liked, or what I wanted, in AOTC.

I like finding out just how rebellious Anakin is when he uses the force to "play around" and float Padme's dessert pear to him. It not only looks fun, it lets me imagine for myself what's really inside of him without the dialog spelling it out for me (a la Minority Report and AI).

I think it looks "neat" when Jon is conducting the pre-cog visions in Minority report, but does this tell me anything interesting about Jon? I have to wait until he talks (on and on) and screams to know what's happening and who he is.

This is wrong for Star Wars. The mythological, timeless, universal and inspiring story it's telling is best communicated with memorable sights, sounds and a touch of melodrama, like the epics and musicals from the 40-70's no one will ever forget. George is perfect at this. I like most of Spielberg's movies, but for completely different reasons than I like AOTC.

And I just don't think completely different is what any of the fans really want for any piece of a 6 part serial.

6. Darth_Bendover

Darth_Bendover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    LUCAS episode 3 with Spielberg co writing. Now that would be a movie. But if you all check out todays Force.net news then youll see this is not even a distinct possibility.... But why did he let Irvin Kershner co direct the best film of the saga then (ESB)?

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I see I'm jumping in late in the fray.

I think Spielberg is a great director. Even if you don't like his stuff, its silly to say he sucks or that if he made a SW movie it wouldn't be good.
    Lucas writing and Spielberg directing has worked pretty well in the past... I think it was called Indiana something.

Anyway, I want Lucas at the helm of the final SW movies but ideally it'd be great to see Spielberg's take.
    Maybe he can direct just one sequence from AOTC?

8. sr_spielbergo

sr_spielbergo Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    AI sucked, thanks to the suck@ss aliens at the end

9. __Mace_Windex__

__Mace_Windex__ Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002

Lucas should make EP3 and he WILL make Ep3. Speilberg is simply not capable of doing it properly...

AND, while Temple of Doom may be the weakest of the Indy films, the first 15 minutes or so represent what movies are all about.

And AI was a depressing MESS IMO.

MW

10. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I just want to take this time to say that Steven Spielberg is one of the most gifted and talented people I know, but he shouldn't be put with a franchise he isn't familiar with.

And yes, A.I. was extremely good.

11. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Pooja-

You know Spielberg literally?

12. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    There were no aliens in AI, those were advanced Mechas at the end of the movie. But that's really not the argument here.

Even if Spielberg could direct the movie (I'm not sure about that whole DGA thing) I doubt Lucas would let him, simply because of the fact that this is the last movie, and from what I've read, Lucas seems to really like this one. I don't think Lucas would let anyone else direct it.

And besides, if Spielberd directed it, Vader would spend the whole movie searching for a Blue Fairy to make him a real boy because Palpatine doesn't love him anymore. ;) 8-}

13. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Why couldn't they collaborate on the project? Hmm?

Steven Spielberg could offer the intellectual filmmaking expertise that George Lucas often lacks, while the main elements surrounding Star Wars would remain intact with Lucas on set. They're both great filmmakers in their own right, but what's the sense in not adding Spielberg just because it's Lucas's story? It could only be better.

14. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    At the front of this site: theforce.net...there is a brand new article about this with interviews with both S and GL. Go see it. It tells you that Spielberg wanted to direct, but GL didn't let him.

Also there is a poll where you can vote if S should direct...just go to the bottom left.

;)

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Pooja-

You know Spielberg literally?

Being his next door neighbor, yeah, but I don't tell anyone that because I highly doubt anyone would ever believe me. But to answer your question, yes.

16. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    You just told about a couple of hundred people. :(

Oh well. Cool nonetheless.

17. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    [/April Fools]

18. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Spielberg directing any sw movie is intriguing, but all wrong. I think GL did just fine, spielberg would have messed it up.
    I gotta agree with prof_frink though, that Spielberg's turned into a "critics whore". It's annoying to me, that all he seems to care about is winning awards. Schindler's was wonderful, Private Ryan was great, but that's no reason to expect a statue every freakin' year. (I didn't see AI, and ain't planning on seeing Minority Report--I'd rather see Aotc again and again) :)
    It's also aggravating that he gets all the kudos and GL gets totally slammed. To quote Anakin, "It's not fair!" [face_mischief]
    It's a good thing Spielberg isn't directing SW. Ep III will be GL and that's the way it should be. IMO, Aotc wouldn't have been as marvelous if GL hadn't directed. Steven, stick to other things, while you pick up another award. :)

19. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    It's also aggravating that he gets all the kudos and GL gets totally slammed. To quote Anakin, "It's not fair!"

Spielberg used to get slammed by the critics for the same critiscims of GL. Spielberg, though, matured as a filmmaker (for better or for worse) while Lucas hasn't (and many would argue he's immatured as a filmmaker). It's perfectly fair. If Lucas would spend a bit more time with the scripts and maybe give some direction to his actors then he could avoid the critiscms as well. He chooses not to.

20. darth_pooh

May 1, 2002
  21. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    It's perfectly fair. If Lucas would spend a bit more time with the scripts and maybe give some direction to his actors then he could avoid the critiscms as well. He chooses not to.

Sorry to disappoint you in your anti-Lucas fantasy, MadMartigan, but he does spend time with his scripts and give direction to his actors. Seems to me that since you hate the end result, you assume it's because Lucas spends no time on the scripts and ignores the actors.

Spielberg makes films that all but scream, "Hey, look at these! I am GROWN UP! I am DEEP! I'm no longer a popcorn filmmaker! Look! Look!" I don't consider that a sign of "maturity."

22. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    AI was a horrible movie. What a real snoozer. I love Spielberg, but I rather keep Lucas at the helm. Spielberg has made some GOOD movies, but only a few great films. Those are Raiders, Ryan, JP Schindlers. He needs to stay out of the sci-fi realm. ET the extra testical was fun, but not something I want to watch over and over, plus look at AI and Minority. Minority was an ok film and AI I already commented on.

Edit: Opps forgot about Jaws, probably his best work right along Raiders.

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, I should really point that Steven Spielberg has been shunned by the Acadamey just as much as George Lucas has. Infact, almost every film he's directed since 1975 has been nominated for best film and best director, and he only won until 1993. I think that tells you something, but I'll let you work out what for yourselves.

24. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I have a few things to discuss:

Point 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas didn't even know how to check e-mail.

Actually, I read an a magazine somewhere that GL was showing someone (an actor, I think) a clip of AOTC, or something like that. And GL couldn't get the player to work, and he had to call his son Jett to do it! LOL.

Point 2

I personally feel that Temple of Doom is the best of the Indy trilogy, so please don't say "we all know TOD is the worst of the Indy trilogy" like it's a fact. Cause it's not. Thank you. :)

Point 3

AI was very good, but not great. It would have been better if (1) there would have been more scenes with the bear and (2) the last 15 minutes were scrapped. Having David just sit, immortalized in the ice, waiting for the blue fairy to bring his mother back, would have been much more powerful, IMO. If Spielberg felt that the kiddies wouldn't have liked it that way, too bad, cause most of them were probably already asleep. 8-}

Point 4

Here's something very interesting to think about. Say Spielberg directed Episode III, but GL was still a heavy influence as the writer and executive producer. And Episode III would be released, and it would be at the quality level of AOTC (which I think is very high). What would the critics think of it?

Any thoughts?

25. darth_pooh

May 1, 2002
    The critics would say:

"The Dynamic Duo of Raiders are back. Can they pull it off, especially in space?

Sensing critical dismay over his recent works, and realizing that fans regard ESB as his best work, Lucas decided to humble himself by reuniting with....blah, blah, blah"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.