main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Standout Track Discussion: Now discussing Star Trek: First Contact "First Contact"

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we discuss specific tracks that really jump out when we have our film scores on shuffle or when we listen to a particular score. Personally I would love to see NO Star Wars discussion, at least for a while...

That said I'd like to start out with James Newton Howard's Dinosaur score and the track "The Egg Travels." This track underscored a brilliant preview of the film and had my whole group of friends on the edge of their seats. When I listen to this track I get goosebumps every time and must crank it loud. It has such a flow to it and I love the way it builds. It builds to what I think is the best melody Howard has ever written. This is several minutes of the best movie music can be. Thoughts?

2. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I absolutely love it. At my local church, we have a yearly 'movie night' where aspiring filmmakers can show whatever movies they've made during the year. (Usually, it's just me showing 5 or 6... ;)) For last year, (our 4th) I asked a CG artist friend to put together a little animation for a trailer... one of those 'dipping/zooming over the landscape' things, with 'year 1' 'year 2', etc. I decided to use 'The Egg Travels,' I dropped it into Premiere to preview and see where I needed to edit, and...

Goosebump. It fit like a glove, and the effect was nearly awe-inspiring. The music is just so great! Especially the sort of 'building' portion at the 1:14 minute mark, all the way up to the grandiose theme that begins at 1:39. Such a soaring, sweeping feeling. Absolutely perfect.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Great idea for a thread. Unfortunately, my copy of Dinosaur! is at home and I haven't listened to it in over a year so do remember the track in question.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    This track is the perfect album opener and showcases one of Howard's more memorable themes beautifully. The mixture of percussion, orchestra, and choir is stunning and is exactly why I am such a huge JNH fan.

Great thread idea, too.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Do you mean a perfect album opener on like a compilation CD? Because on the OST it's track two right?

6. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Both, really. Technically, it's really the second track, but it still "opens" the score as far as I'm concerned.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I do really enjoy the Inner Sanctum track though...

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I remember the theme and I know I like the score. I don't own the soundtrack but I've been trying to download the bloody track for the last 2 hours without any luck. I haven't seen the movie in a while so I may just have to rent it just hear the exact music during this portion. lol

9. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Strilo, Inner Sanctum/The Nesting Grounds is a beautiful track as well, I agree.

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Great idea for a thread, Timo.

Haven't heard this one though, so I can't comment.

11. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Just heard the track via email. Pretty close to what I remembered. Very triumphant sounding.

12. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    This is a great idea for a thread, especially about outstanding tracks on soundtracks.

"The Egg Travels" is definitely a standout track and is my favorite on the Dinosaur soundtrack. Good choice!

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And now for our second standout track: "Bud on the Ledge" from The Abyss. This track begins with Bud stranded at enormous depth in the abyss with no way back to the rig. It scores the sequence as Bud sees the alien who then takes him through the amazing ship to the room where he is then able to breathe. This track is nothing short of majestic and sweeping. It is by far the standout track on The Abyss score CD and for me one of the most interesting compositions by Alan Silvestri.

14. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Sorry Timo, haven't heard this one either.

15. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Wow, you people need to hear more film scores.

This cue is one of Silvestri's best and is truly the definition of awe-inspiring music. When I bought this album years ago, I nearly wore out the CD listening to this track over and over.

In fact, think I'll listen to it right now. :D

16. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    I checked on iTunes and I couldn't find it....[face_tired]

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's not something that would be on iTunes. Sad though... you guys are missing a really great track of film score. :D

18. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I have to add a big 'nadda' to the list as well... :(

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Lord what scores do you people listen to? :p I am trying to stay away from Williams for now.

20. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I don't own the soundtrack, but I'm pretty sure I know which piece of music is included here. Very angelic and beautiful. I agree about it being one of Silvestri's best.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Boogie did you ever listen to this?

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I did, and I feel guilty for not replying.

It's a beautiful track. The light choral work at the start is angelic, and actually works very nicely with the synths, which is a rare occurance. Then the brass build up works fantastically in the middle section; it all seems very grand and slightly emotional. I think I'd understand it better if I saw it in the film, but as it stands it's a very nice track.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh hey check it out I almost forgot about this thread... ;)

Anyway I was listening to my Film Scores on shuffle today and "Tornado in the Barracks" from The Mask Of Zorro came on. This track is serious amounts of fun. I just LOVE the flamenco flair of this score. This track in particular has a real Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass feel to it. The solo trumpet work really takes me back to that band. It's a wonderful blend of the Spanish/Mexican musical stylings and the modern film score. Full of energy, this track really jumps of the score for me, though the entire score is phenomenal.

24. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Aboslutely. It's a standout track from a standout score. The spanish stylings of the trumpet actually remind me very much of the composer Rodrigues (sp?), whose Trumpet works I was lucky enough to see a few weeks ago. It's amazing how someone like Horner, who so often manages to sound so similar in every score he does, sounds so different here. There are a few moments that hark back to Titanic and Braveheart, the 'tense' music being most noticable; but ultimately it works in the track (and the score) to form something completely different from his prior works.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Boogie we picked a bad one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.