main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] "Far to Go", UDC4, FINISHED on 6/20/10!!!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, I'm in a mushy mood, and since I couldn't decide on a pairing, you get a whole grab bag of them. [face_love] A nod of thanks goes to Brodiew and his drabbles for inspiring the Kirk/Christine drabbles, as well. [face_dancing] [:D]

Enjoy! :)

[b][u]Week Five - [i]?A Most Curious Affair?[/i][/u]

021. Steps[/b]

Her relationship with Sarek was a culmination of small moments meshing to form a larger whole ? Small, curious glances leading to form small, hesitant smiles. Fascinated queries turning into soft, informal outings. Small, tender whispers drowning out the harsher voices around them. She has come to live a lifetime in these moments, taking the simple things for the wealth of emotion that she knows linger behind them.

Amanda knew she would be the one to take the first steps - and that those steps would be down a path hard and long. And yet, it was worth it, knowing he would always follow her.

[b]022. Stride[/b]

?What do you think of the name Jack??

Winona made a face, ?Like the universe needs another Captain Jack.?

?Planning the kid's future already?? George teased.

?Perhaps, just a little,? she took the teasing in stride. ?With your blood he's bound to end up [i]somewhere[/i] near a starship.?

He smiled, and looped his hand through hers. His other hand found her gently rounded belly, something like awe on his face. ?Well, we have a few months to figure a name out ? then we'll have a lifetime to regret the decision.?

She rolled her eyes, but placed her hand over his.

[b]023. Stumble[/b]

?It's all done now.?

His wife (ex-wife now) speaks with a voice made of small amounts both frustration and annoyance. It grates at him, like it always does. Stiffly, he nodded, and got to his feet. He took the bag at his feet in one hand, and shuffled his weight from foot to foot.

?Tell Joanna goodbye for me,? is McCoy's only request.

She nods. He doubts she will.

He takes the first transport to Riverside shipyards, and is there by morning. Still in civilian clothes, he stumbles drunkenly into the refresher, and waits for his future to begin.

[b]024. Leap[/b]

If there was one thing McCoy was used to, it was Jim Kirk's way with the ladies. While mostly fun and games, there was always the special girl ? or twelve ? who would seriously attract the man's eye for more than a one night stand.

And yet, not even the 'one week relationship' face, was enough to describe the way Kirk was starring at the nurse across the mess hall now.

?So,? Kirk started casually, ?do you think she likes me??

Christine caught his gaze, and smiled gently. Kirk nearly felt out of his seat.

Bones snorted. ?Nope. Not one bit.?

[b]025. Fall[/b]

He watches them once, when they think that no one can see. They were looped together loosely, with arms intertwined, and bodies swaying softly. Their foreheads were touching, and when he moved just a bit to the right, Kirk could see where he held one hand at her cheek and temple.

Understanding hit him rather violently at the gesture, and with something like awe he watched as they fell into each other, melded and tangled at the mind. There were amazed tears on Nyota's face when the hold breaks, which Spock moved to tenderly brush away.

Smiling, Kirk silently retreated.

[b]~MJ[/b] [face_rose]

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A somber set, with Steps, Stride, and Stumble tinged with tragic foreshadowing. Sad that McCoy would leave his daughter(?) like that. Amanda is strong, subtle, and compassionate. A good combination when trying to woo a Vulcan. I love George Kirk. This was a nice moment.

Leap was great. We need more of Kirk pratfalls. I look forward to more Jim/Christine.

Fall was sultry in a mind and body, dark room dancing kind of way. What was Kirk doing there? :p

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dignified]
    Steps-- beautiful. I think you captured Amanda's feelings and sense of blessedness perfectly. :D
    Stride -- sweet! I know George would've been uber!proud of his son. [face_dancing]
    Stumble -- poor Bones. :( I always got the sense that his relationship with his daughter was distant and that he regretted that. [face_thinking]

Leap -- LOL!!!!! ;)
    Fall -- [face_blissful!!!!!!] Mira_Jade, you are spoiling me plumb rotten!!!
    Foot, I love it!!

Hugs!!!!!!!!!

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Pure greatness with the mush, Mira_Jade. @};- I liked the Kirk/Chapel one immensely.

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Thanks for your kind words everyone!! :D [:D]

I'll get those pesky replies out of the way, and then an update. :)

Jade_eyes: You managed to stay very dignified through that. I'm proud of you. ;) And man, I'm happy to spoil anytime. I was getting all goofy writing them too. :p [:D]

brodiew: You will definitely see more of Jim and Christine in the future, combined with pratfalls, naturally. :p And as for Fall . . . . originally I had the whole set from Kirk's POV, and changed all but the last. oops. [face_blush] [face_laugh] Thanks again for taking the time to leave your thoughts, I enjoy them every time. :D

RX_Sith: Thanks! Mush is too fun to write - Kirk and Christine especially. ;)

~MJ @};-

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This is what happens when you go to movies with crazy girlfriends . . .

. . . you have very interesting senarios to write about. ;)

This week is focusing on the rather peculiar relationship between Nyota and Gaila. It turned more into banter than any real character study. But still, it was too much fun for words. [face_love]

[b][u]Week Six ? [i]?Like Sisters . . . Relatively Speaking?[/i][/u]

026. Gallant[/b]

Nyota had never understood her roommate's penchant for falling head over heels so quickly over pretty words. Determined, Gaila had tried to explain the thrill of the chase, of sugarcoated words, and meaningful glances. Still, it was unappealing to her.

Until, one day, understanding hit her gently when her professor held the door open for her, his smooth voice commenting honestly about the exceptional skills she had shown on her exam.

She had blushed happily the whole way back to her dorm, and upon Gaila's smug inquiry she hesitantly acknowledged that they were more alike than she had initially thought.

[b]027. Filial[/b]

Sometimes, Uhura thought, Gaila was more akin to a sister that a roommate when it came to prying into her social life. No matter how much Nyota clung to her privacy, Gaila was always trying to wiggle her way in.

Like now -

?Seriously, [i]whoever[/i] you are crushing over ? you need to do something about it! Your pheromones are really starting to give me a headache.?

Uhura rolled her eyes at the Orion woman's lack of tact, thinking that if this was what she was missing in a sister throughout the years, she wasn't sure if she was blessed or cursed.

[b]028. Vexation[/b]

?Really, is the constant string of men really [i]that[/i] fulfilling? I mean . . . You can't truly be happy with that ? Orion blood or not.? Uhura tapped her pen against the desk, trying to think of a new way to phrase her argument.

Gaila raised a brow. ?Trust me, it's quite . . . [i]fulfilling[/i].?

?That's not what I meant! . . . I just think that it is possible for a woman to love one man her entire life . . . and be the better off for it.?

?Who says that I'm not just looking for 'the one'??

?A dead giveaway is usually their views on one night stands.?

[b]029. Sublime[/b]

?You know what, I knew that you two couldn't have just been [i]'studying'[/i] all that time.?

Uhura rolled her eyes. ?Think whatever you want.?

Gaila's smile turned lascivious. ?Vulcan, huh? I mean, they're not my first choice, for [i]obvious[/i] reasons. But . . . on second thought . . . the ears are kinda hot. And ah! They can mind meld, you know?? Her eyes fluttered sultrily, her voice a low purr, ?It would be practically [i]sublime[/i] used during -?

?- Gaila!? Uhura cut her off, her cheeks flushed a telling shade of red.

She smirked innocently. ?It looks like I'm not the [i]only[/i] one with those thoughts.?

[b]030. Superficial[/b]

On some nights, Nyota would return late to Gaila tossing and turning, uncomfortable within her dreams. As quietly as she could, she would take the other girl's hand, being as soothing as she could. Gaila would lurch into consciousness, her breathing quick and her eyes fierce. Upon seeing her, the superficial glow normally lighting her eyes would flicker, showing the tough spirit of a girl who had managed to keep her wits after years of Orion slavery.

?I'll stay here 'til you fall back to sleep,? Nyota promised.

Gaila nodded once, sharply.

In the mornings neither would speak of it.

[b]~MJ[/b] [face_rose]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    That was super! I enjoyed seeing more facets to Gaila's past and present issues... it's good to see she's not one-dimensional--nyota puts up with her quirks and is a real friend when she needs one :* And yes, Gaila's right about everything in Sublime... positively. Lol!!!!

8. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Another excellent set, Mira. Love Uhura's sister-like relationship with Galia. It's too bad it wasn't shown at all in the movie.

9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't know what happened to me on this set. I must have forgotten about it. Wee, here I am. It was fun to read about Nyota and Galia. The Orion is ditzy and promiscuous, but not unobservant. She recognizes Nyota's feeling for Spock. However, she is still throwing about inuendo like confetti and not recognizing the beginnings to true love in Uhura.

Mind melds and... fascinating. :p

Superficial was my favorite.

On some nights, Nyota would return late to Gaila tossing and turning, uncomfortable within her dreams. As quietly as she could, she would take the other girl's hand, being as soothing as she could.

After all the banter and irritation, Nyota is a good friend. This was a great way to end this set; showing that Galia's personality is a cover for the pani of years of sex slavery.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so good!! I love the interactions between Uhura and Gaila. Poor Gaila :( I am glad they're friends.

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Hey everyone! I have more for you in a few!! :)

Replies, first:

Jade_eyes: It was a lot of fun giving Gaila's character some demention. And yes, I agree with you totally about Sublime. [face_laugh]

RX_Sith: It really was. I would have loved to see something like this. :(

brodiew: I'm glad that you enjoyed that! It sure was a fun exercise. :)

NYCityGurl: It sure was a lot of fun to write. Thanks. :D

~MJ @};-

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm stepping out of my normal characters to write something from the bad guy's POV. Hey, if you have never tried writing from the perspective of an insane villain, I recommend that you try. It's most . . . fascinating. [face_thinking]

[u][b]Week Seven - [i]?A Madness Burning Slow?[/i] [/b][/u]

[b]031. No Turning Back[/b]

He is cold. Denial chills him, deceivingly numbing the pain. He reaches to where the image of his wife had loomed just seconds before. While he had remembered the terror on her face, he had felt the confidence down in his bones as he assured her that she would be okay.

There were precautions being taken. Romulus would not fall.

And then he watches her burn before his eyes ? watches her transmission flicker and fade away.

The denial fades, leaving the furious burn of anger in its wake, dark and soothing past the pain that was too much to handle.

[b]032. No Backing Down[/b]

The next events happen in a matter of seconds - the supernova collapsing on itself. Chasing the Ambassador. The black hole . . . . The Federation vessel, greeting them like salt on a raw wound.

It is the flames, burning the numbness deep inside that issues the order. ?Open fire.?

There is a second of hesitation from his crew. They're merely hard laborers ? manual workers, earning an honest living. Not a one would have ever even considered killing in their life. Eventually, though, it is the same burn that consumes him that urges them as well.

Merely seconds, and then the [i]Kelvin[/i] burns too.

[b]033. Nowhere to Run[/b]

Time's distance from his loss does little to heal him. Instead, his wounds simply festered, thriving on promises of both vengeance and freedom for the planet he loves. It is a savage process - one that merely feeds the flames higher throughout the years until he does not know where he ends and the inferno begins.

Whisperings in the back of his mind insist that this was not the way to grieve. That, though, is merely part of a lost whole.

His fingers run over the bloodied point of his ears, a mad satisfaction running through him.

And, flickering, he waits.

[b]034. No One to Trust[/b]

Before him Vulcan dies. It's agonized convulsions pulse through the void of space, disturbing the graveyard of debris, and rocking the Narada. He smirked in satisfaction, the burning light from the planet reflecting in his eyes.

His gaze caught that of his first mate, and was surprised to see the flicker of pain in Ayel's eyes. Not remembered loss, but mourning anew - pity even, for his Captain.

It was a look the Ambassador had given him just hours earlier.

The flames rise in him as he growls, ?For Romulus.?

It is as much a reminder as it is a warning.

[b]035. No Place to Hide[/b]

He has failed completely. The words tear through his mind, leaving him with no place to hide, even within his own thoughts. The knowledge sears like flames, tearing beneath his skin, clawing at his eyes, and at the hollow places between his bones. The anger drip like venom from his mouth, the rage flash like sparks from his eyes as he seals his own fate, cursing the smoldering face of Kirk to eternity and back.

Then he burns - like Romulus and his beloved wife had burned, like Vulcan had burned . . .

. . . and still, it is not nearly enough to warm him.

[b]~MJ[/b] [face_rose]

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Those are very good!! You get inside Nero's head very well. And I love the last one, especially :D

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I kind of felt sorry for Nero in a way. Excellent update! :)

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Excellent depiction of Nero's mindset from the end of Romulus to his demise. You captured his emotions perfectly.

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    What a powerful set of intensely dramatic drabbles. Nero was indeed an inferno of rage and greif.

His fingers run over the bloodied point of his ears, a mad satisfaction running through him.

Nowhere to Run stood out for me. This small action on a sea of internal dilogue stood out as well.

Can't wait for more!

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous marvelous and quite intense. =D= It really gives one a glimpse into Nero's motives. [face_thinking]

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Jade_eyes: Thanks! It sure was a lot of fun to play around with. :)

brodiew: That he certainly is. Thanks for the kind words! [:D]

RX_Sith: Thanks!! :D

Sara_Kenobi: In a wierd way I kinda feel bad for him to. :(

NYCityGurl: Thank you very much!!

~MJ @};-

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Week Eight - ?Love's a Healin' Thing?

036. A Little Bit of This

Christine Chapel had finally reached the conclusion that life hated her.

After all, it was hard enough figuring out that you like liked someone, let alone having that someone be the Enterprise's own danger-magnet of a Captain. It was even harder still when said Captain flirted with anything remotely humanoid in a skirt . . . and then completely bypassed you.

Said flirt was now ignoring her in favor of a suggestively smiling ensign across the sickbay. Christine may or may not have tugged on the gauze she was wrapping around his sprained wrist a trite too harshly.

. . . Just a bit though.

037. Anything but That

?She likes you.? McCoy informed his friend after Christine left.

Silence.

McCoy raised a brow. ?I mean, it doesn't say much for her mental state, but . . . :

A deep breath. ?It's just . . .weird,? Kirk admitted. ?Girl's don't actually like me, you know? Or if they do, they don't for long, and . . .? his voice tapered off uncertainly.

McCoy's eyes widened as understanding hit. ?My god, Jim, you actually like her.?

Jim made a face, as if he were still five and the whole idea of girls only coincided with cooties. ?I do not!?

Bones snorted, unconvinced. ?I know, ? anything but that, right??

038. Not For Nothing

A standard month later, and Christine was at the height of her annoyance over her inability to conquer her . . . feelings. So, when there's an announcement of an away team to an unexplored system, she is not particularly thrilled.

But when Spock called in, informing them to expect injured crew, her heart leaped in her throat at the thread of worry in his voice. It's a tone they only hear when the Captain has gotten into a particularly bad batch of trouble, and it leaves her shaking now, annoyance completely forgotten.

She took a deep breath, and then set to work.

039. Everything Else

?Dammit kid! What did you get yourself into this time?!?

She almost falters at seeing Jim's tousled and bruised form. There is a sticky, rank substance coating him, mingling with the cerise shade of blood. ?Evil gremlins,? is Kirk's only gurgled explanation.

Spock's more precise recap of events, and everything else for that matter, faded away as she helped McCoy tend to Kirk. It was a long evening, one only made shorter by Jim finding her hand time and time again whenever she was close enough.

Her adrenaline high mind tries to play it off to the delirium, and fails.

040. What Matters Most

Kirk awoke sometime later, hurting slightly less than everywhere thanks to the drug soup running through his veins.

As he became more aware of his surroundings, he noticed the cool sensation of a hand tightly wrapped around his own. Somewhat giddily ? all the meds doing, he thinks ? he turned his head as far as it would go to see Christine out cold in the chair by his bed, her blonde hair delightfully mused and her forehead lined with worry, even in her sleep.

A smile on his face, Kirk settled in once again, and held her hand that much tighter.

~MJ @};-

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Again, some really excellent mush of Christine and Kirk. When he scoffs at McCoy's suggestion that he likes her, then you know that he really does and more.

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    awwwww. You gave me goosebumps! These were all really sweet.

It was a long evening, one only made shorter by Jim finding her hand time and time again whenever she was close enough.

Her adrenaline high mind tries to play it off to the delirium, and fails.

This was my favorite quote of the bunch. It is such a simple, but powerful thing: touch.

McCoy's eyes widened as understanding hit. ?My god, Jim, you actually like her.?

Good man, Bones. Get it out in the open! :p Make Jim talk about it.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful Jim/Christine set. =D= I wonder why the TOS never had them paired off? o_O ;) They seem to fit somehow LOL Great use of the prompts. :D :D

23. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Trust me, Jade. It would not have been a good pairing back then. Trust me.

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004

LOL!!! It would have been a scary thing indeed! . . . between her fiancee, and Spock . . . [face_sick]

~MJ @};-

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I never felt her fiancee was much of a presence ;) :p He was there but not in an episode i.e., it seemed like even at that point she had the hots for Spock like who wouldn't [face_laugh] I'm seeing the TOS through modified history [face_laugh] Jim's right for Christine and Spock is right for Uhura. :D :D You have to admit, the chemistry's better that way and it sizzles... or maybe just maybe it's the stellar ff authors who make it so?

[face_love]
    [face_love]
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.