main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks for the input! :) I agree that Wil Wheaton is awesome.

Jack is indeed a major player in my story, and his relationship with Picard is one of the most important elements.

I initially was going to go with the mentor/mentee thing, except that the show establishes that Picard considered him to be his best friend, which implies equals. Kind of makes me wonder about the nature of friendships, especially men's. Most men I know who say they have a best friend form that basis on the fact that they have known the person for a very long time. I think a best friend isn't just someone you share interests and hobbies with, but someone with whom you are your most authentic self.

Like Kirk and Spock. They didn't necessarily have much in common, but I would argue that they were best friends because they could comfortably challenge each other's notions of himself. In that sense, each was more himself around the other than he was with anyone else. They didn't always understand each other, but they didn't have to put up a face around each other either. If that makes any sense. :p

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Kind of makes me wonder about the nature of friendships, especially men's. Most men I know who say they have a best friend form that basis on the fact that they have known the person for a very long time. I think a best friend isn't just someone you share interests and hobbies with, but someone with whom you are your most authentic self.

I think you're pretty close, here, Ubersue. For me the foundation, or at least the beginning of the frienship was in those common interests and similar lifestyles. But even as those common interests keep the friendship alive, the also open the door for more personal conversations. Not only that, but actions can sometimes speak louder than words.

Trust, dependability, graciousness, and even empathy can go a long way.

My two cents. :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, gotcha. I'm out, then :p But I'm looking forward to reading it! :D

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  5. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
  6. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Well I hope they do something good like "City on the Edge of Forever". But I honestly wouldn't mind seeing some Space Hippies. Or Space Nazis!

I'm really geeked out in anticipation of what they might come up with. I'll probably be disappointed, because it's coming from the people who killed Vulcan to move the plot forward... :mad:

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The great thing about not having seen TOS is that I won't be disappointed. The bad thing is that I don't have the excitement you guys do about what might be included :p

Is anyone up for the challenge? I've been mulling around ideas, and I'm thinking about taking a crack at it this weekend.

8. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Another challenge would be good to do.

9. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

If I could marry a post, it would be this one. [face_love] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] :D

THANK-YOU!!!

Spock and Uhura with 'the next level' for the win!! Although, I have been writing them that way for so long it took me a moment to remember, "oh yeah, I am still lost in fanfiction land." [face_laugh]

And I'm always for 'whatever you're expecting: you're wrong.' That's the beauty of sci-fi. [face_love]

:D

---

I was tossing around ideas for this challenge, but every single one managed to hit a dead in. I'd love to read what other people have coming - or even a brand new one. :)

~MJ @};-

11. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks for the link, RX!

I suppose maybe a challenge could be something in the vein of what we'd like to see in the new Star Trek movie... the wishful thinking challenge?

I want to see Kirk shoot a lizard man with an improvised bazooka. Aw yeah.

12. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    So what else do you guys want to see in the new movie? Spock/Uhura mush, improvised bazookas and Kirk bare-knuckle fighting a lizard man...

It's a slow work day and I'd like to take advantage of that by geeking out. :p Help me out here, guys! :D

I predict that Spock is going to have some relationship drama with Uhura because he's going to feel compelled to marry a Vulcan to help repopulate their people. And Kirk will somehow get the ship out of trouble by macking on a Klingon chick.

13. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Star Trek 2 Release Date.

The next Star Trek movie will be released on June 29, 2012! :D

I think more than likely that the following will happen in the next movie:

1. I believe ultimately that Spock and Uhuru will have a wedding ceremony most likely at the end of the upcoming movie. I do think that Spock will have lots of drama about his choice to marry Uhuru, but I think in the end that any children that they have still helps the Vulcan race even if they are half-human like he is. Their children will be born probably at the end of Star Trek 3. That way, when they end their run, they have time to raise their children. Whether it is on Earth or the new Vulcan colony will be interesting to see.

2. I think that Klingons almost certainly have to be brought into the picture. They will probably begin forging their future alliance with the Romulans by the end of the next movie where they share their technology.

3. Kirk will fight lots of different people or bad guys in the next one if the first one is any clue. He fought I think about ten or so in the first movie, so it will at least equal that. You will see more of Kirk/McCoy bromance as Spock and Uhuru get more involved with each other. I think that Christine Chapel or some other woman character is brought in for a love interest for Kirk eventually.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    RX_Sith posted:

1. I believe ultimately that Spock and Uhuru will have a wedding ceremony most likely at the end of the upcoming movie. I do think that Spock will have lots of drama about his choice to marry Uhuru, but I think in the end that any children that they have still helps the Vulcan race even if they are half-human like he is. Their children will be born probably at the end of Star Trek 3. That way, when they end their run, they have time to raise their children. Whether it is on Earth or the new Vulcan colony will be interesting to see.

YES YES YES YES YEEHAW AND AMEN! Ahem ... [face_laugh]

I too believe the Klingons will have a pivotal role. :cool:

The relationship with the Romulans will be interesting to see play out -- as to how it is different, and if/whether something like "Balance of Terror" takes place.

I also believe that Jim should have a love interest -- someone like Christine Chapel, or Yeoman Rand. :cool:

Or, the beautiful Chief of Intelligence. ;) to Master Jay on that one.

:)

15. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    [face_laugh]

Nah, I think Nurse Chapel only has eyes for Spock. It would be neat if we met Carol Marcus, though.

I still think Spock's going to seriously consider marrying a Vulcan. After all, it would be a logical thing to do, and in the original series he was engaged... maybe T'Pring survived the destruction of Vulcan? Sure, staying with Uhura would make him happy, but I can see him being willing to sacrifice his own happiness out of duty.

A "Balance of Terror" type scenario would be very cool indeed, especially given what's happened between Vulcan and Romulus in the new timeline.

My money's on Klingons, though.

Also, I want to see a godlike entity, and I want Kirk to punch him in the face. I don't care why.

16. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    You know I was watching the Star Trek marathon on SyFy on Monday and I was thinking out loud...well not really out loud but you get the picture, that Kirk definitely needs a love interest in this movie.

What was scary was I watched the reboot after Final Frontier and in my mind I have this innate feeling they will bring someone in.

I prefer it to be someone new, that they can develop. It will be difficult for me to see Jim with anyone other than Audrey.

But as for the villain, I've heard different things on that. I definitely could see Klingons, but they ditched that idea. Others one could include Kodos, or a villain from TOS.

I think Spock will and could marry Uhura, only because of what his father said to him in the transporter room. I think after Amanda died, Sarek understands his emotions alot more than he did in the TOS.

Kirk as always will continue to be beaten up, and I would love see his and Bones friendship fleshed out more. Especially with their new background.

Oh and more Bones and his grumpiness please!

17. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Excellent points, everyone. :) But I guess we've got two debates going: What do we think is going to happen in the next movie, and what would we like to happen?

Anyway, because when it comes to Star Trek I always have more thoughts on the subject...

I love the Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic from the Original Series. Not just because it was fun to watch, but because there was a lot of interesting subtext in it. It seems to me that the point of it was that Kirk (the Captain) was the Ego, McCoy (a doctor, and a very emotional and expressive person) was the Id, and Spock (the science officer, and an emotionless and aloof person) was the Superego. I'm not one for Freudian psychology, but I think it makes a neat dramatic trope, and in this case illustrates a classic sci-fi theme. What should be our moral guide for our progress as a people? Logic and science, or emotions and intuition? I figure that Spock and McCoy's bickering was as much a philosophical debate as it was character development.

Much as I like Spock and Uhura as a couple (that was one of my favourite surprises about the movie), I think we lose a lot by making Spock more in touch with his feelings and less alienated from humanity. I like having to wonder if we ought to feel sorry for the guy or aspire to be like him.

And now, onto McCoy... :D I agree with you guys that there will probably be more scenes with McCoy and Kirk, and I'm looking forward to that. McCoy's just fun, and he's always there to remind us of the freaky ramifications of this shiny new technology (like how when you use a transporter, you're letting your body be destroyed atom by atom and then be assembled someplace else! What happens to your soul?).

I do think Kirk's going to have a love interest, but something tells me it isn't going to be just one. :p

And I just wish that throughout the movie we get to see him being pestered by a personal message from Carol Marcus, which he never has time to check. At the end we see him in the background finally getting a chance to have his coffee and check his messages, and we see the mug shatter on the floor. End credits.

And with that, I defy everyone here to out-dork me.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Was Carol Marcus his kid's mom?

I think there will definitely be some Kirk/McCoy/Spock bromance - I'm told that they were like the Three Musketeers in TOS. And I think there will be Spock/Nyota drama, but i think they'll end up together (the writers/producers aer obviously willing to change some major things). I don't think Kirk will end up settling down. We have the Spock/Nyota stuff for committed couple romance, and I think that will nicely balance out Kirk not having someone like that. Whether he will eventually . . . maybe, but I think that he won't find anyone serious for a while.

19. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Paramount wants next Star Trek movie to be in 3-D.

I agree with what Abrams states in the article above, who cares whether the movie is in 3-D or not; this 3-D craze is literally making is more difficult to get movies done as soon as possible.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ug, I hate 3D. More expensive, holds up production, and gives me a headache (not to mention, the glasses are difficult to wear over mine). Time to end the 3D craze.

(Actually, there's a poll about 3D movies here :)

21. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Decades old spoilers ahead! In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, we meet Carol Marcus for the first time and that her adult son David is Kirk's. It's also widely considered to be the best Star Trek movie, so I highly recommend it. Even though I just spoiled that plot point. Sorry.

I'm not too big on the 3D craze myself, but maybe I'm just against fun. :p It looks fake to me, actually, because it doesn't look like natural depth perception. Of course, a 2D image doesn't look like that either, but it's a kind of fake that I'm used to and doesn't cost me an extra few dollars. :)

22. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  23. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    What's up with Kirk?

I was recently reading a very well written story in whick Kirk has experienced migrane headaches his entire life and for some reason is keeping it a secret from Bones and the rest of the crew. As he is described, young Captain Kirk is barely able to kee the secret while having continual vision problems as well as other ailments which impare his ability to effectively lead. The real problem I had with this depiction was that it seemed entirely in character for Reboot!Kirk.

We know that TOS Kirk hated getting physicals and was a very dedicated, driven, and protectice Captain. Okay, so Reboot!Kirk has the same aversion to sickbay, but too a fault. He seems to put his perception by the crew above his concern for them. I know he's young and inexperienced. He's reckless. But I don't understand his selfishness; his desire to put himself above the crew's safety. It doesn't make sense.

Help me understand?

Other questions: How do you see this Kirk maturing? Is he capable? What would it take for him to put others above himself?

24. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I think i know which story you're talking about brodie.

I absolutely adore this Kirk. I think this Kirk will mature in a different way than TOS. At a young age he was bombarded by more stuff than Shatner's did. I also think he has this ability to not think of himself. He does, but he also thinks outside the box. He's one of those people, as I characterize him that will probably take into account everyone's else thoughts because he's still afraid of being in command.

He loves it, don't get me wrong but as a twenty five year old myself I cannot imagine that brunt of responsibilty being on myself. Deep down I think he has doubt in himself, that he can actually do this job right. I think he would go to McCoy if something was wrong with him but then you have to realize that maybe Admiralty is looking for him to screw up. So he doesn't want that to be known.

I personally think that he does takes risks, but he's not necessarily reckless now. He's still young too so of course he is going to make mistakes. He's learning, he hasn't had the experience on a starship liek TOS Kirk did, so I think now he would trust the people who have more than he did.

*sigh* sorry my fangirl ness came out with Kirk.

25. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I haven't read the story in question, but I can see Reboot!Kirk being more selfish simply because he's so young and inexperienced. Also, given that the reboot has people enlisting in Starfleet instead of doing a long stint of training in the Academy, it stands to reason that this Kirk would have a less developed sense of duty.

Any poor judgement he displays is Starfleet's fault, not his. :p

To quote TNG's Doctor Crusher: "If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!" :D

Don't get me wrong, I like the reboot, but... dammit, I like the old one better!