main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Armies! --- Game ON ... SIGN UP now

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by 21st, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    And that's exactly why a less complicated game would be necessary.

2. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Why should the strategy and depth of the game suffer because it happened to have the bad luck of a host who couldn't run it to efficiency? Get a new host, one who can keep up with the math of the movements, of the battles, of the situation, and we're already done. I don't see why we should go for simple when complex would work with the correct host and was already quite fun even with its flaws.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    With the right person at the helm, and a few tweeks to make things a little more interesting, this would be a great game to continue on. I'd be interested in playing, for sure. Hell, I could have won this one :p

4. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    The idea I proposed covers all of the major areas of the current game: troop movement, army strength, reinforcement, etc. It's essentially the same game, with the exception of a simplified number crunching set-up (having the GM roll dice based on the number of troops) which also has the added benefit of bringing chance into play, something prominent in war, and a modified transportation scheme so as to more closely simulate actual lines of war.

I think that those proposals, if implemented, would make the game more interesting. That's obviously the first priority, but if we can make the game more inherently efficient, rather than dependent on time-wasting number crunching, then we should.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    If needed, I would definitely like to host this game. With whatever we decide, wether it be to make it more Risque(lol), or to keep as is, and just get a better General-Host relationship going. I like the way it's being played already, but if more people just want Risk: SW, then that would also be a fun game, I think.

gameplay wise, I think this works already. As for the generals rolling their own dice...yeah, I don't see that working. The GH would have to be the one doing that, and that's a lot of rolling for each turn. Still, it could be done. For sure.

I have not read over the rules recently, but I will now to see if there is anything I would like to see different. There seems to be two schools already, and they both sound pretty good to me.

6. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    My suggestion for die rolling would be just have one die per a certain number of troops (depending on the scale being used), and then use that number for damage. The benefit of die rolling is that players can actually take some risks, and go into battle even when they're outnumbered. (Not when they're ridiculously outnumbered, of course, but they can still hope for victory.)

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    My apologies for not responding sooner. [face_peace]

There are definitely two schools of thought here. Risk is a great and fun game, for sure. I'm a big fan of it in RL ? but I've always been hesitant in how it would work on a forum. RX_Sith has been on my case for awhile about Risk (and monopoly, incidentally) and it's been my bad that I haven't gotten back to him sooner. Onoto, I do like your suggestions for Risk, as it does sound simpler.

That said, in the case of this game, it does appear that the players of "Armies" were enjoying themselves despite the host flaws. I definitely think, because of this, that it deserves another shot. A fresh thread, a fresh host.

So to move this along, I think we just need to pick up a host, post the rules again to see if anybody would like it tweaked (but not overly overthrown ... yet) and then "go".

Back when this game started, I did actually receive an expression of interest in hostship from somebody involved. Let me check with them to see if they still want to and are prepared to at this stage. If not, I know there are a few of you interested at the very least.

Your creativity and suggestions are always welcome, [b]Onoto[/b]. It is entirely possible that a game of Risk could work alongside this game. Or perhaps "alternate" with it if need be. There's actually been discussion [link=http://boards.theforce.net/census_and_games/b10264/26194943/p1]in this thread[/link] about it (which I need to get back to, as well as the other game [face_blush]). Maybe we could work on a new game in there? What do you think?

8. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Guys, it's come to my attention that there are a number of you who want to build upon the first iteration of this game. I'm open to the idea, certainly, but more along the lines of building something unique, something no other game has on these forums. If any one of you are still around, still interested or just casually curious, let it be known. Tyi has asked for my help on this one, and unless someone else wants to pitch in, I'll do just that.

Star Wars Armies is back.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Kartanym will be the host of the next round, and is the person I previously mentioned. He is now in charge of getting the game back up and running.

I can't wait to see what we do, guys. :D

10. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Sign Up now for round 2. A minimum of 6 players will be required before the game begins, with no maximum limit. Simply post your username followed by your clan name in the list below. Once everyone is ready, a new thread will be opened detailing the rules of the game, so if you have any last minute suggestions, now's the time.

Star Wars Armies: Round 2 Playlist

1. YourName (ClanName)

11. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    1. BartSimpson-SithLord (The Order of the Black Knights)

12. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    2. SWBob (Iron Warriors)

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    seems a bit ... unusual to sign-up, and then get the full explanation of rules .... hmm ....

14. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    There's a reason for that ;) All will be revealed in time.

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    2. SWBob (Iron Warriors)
    3. The_Loyal_Imperial (The Argonauts)

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    2. SWBob (Iron Warriors)
    4. RX_Sith (Soulless Imperial Tyrannical Hollows)

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    2. SWBob (Iron Warriors)
    5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer (Tyirants & Co.)

18. Rosa-Belle

Rosa-Belle Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2007
    2. SWBob (Iron Warriors)
    5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer (Tyirants & Co.)
    6. Rosa-Belle (The Kyp Clones)

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Six teams are now signed up, which means we're one step closer to getting underway. Before we do so, however, I'd like to detail the game rules for SWA2, opening it up to you for suggestions where neccessary. Once everyone is happy, a new thread will be opened and the game shall begin. Remember, sign ups are still open, so don't miss out!

How To Play:

Each round is referred to as a Cycle. Each Cycle has four phases:

Build Phase - build new buildings or troops.
    Combat Phase - attack an enemy or setup defenses.
    Reinforcement Phase - new troops are issued and medics sent out.
    Movement Phase - Move your troops, send out a scout, or turn on your radar or cloaking devices.

To make a move, PM your decision to the Game Manager (GM). Each move is collated, and the results sent back to you. Each player has 24 hours for their orders to be sent and recieved before the next phase begins. For example:

Team A builds a barracks in the Build Phase. The player sends a PM to the GM detailing that move.
    For the next phase, Team A attacks an enemy. The player sends a PM detailing how many troops will attack, and against which enemy.
    For the reinforcement phase, Team A decides to send out a medic. The player must send a PM to alert the GM that a medic has been issued.
    Finally, Team A wishes to send out a scout to another destination. The player sends out a PM detailing that move.

For each PM, a reply will be sent confirming the order, and any results that may be attached. If no PM is recieved by the deadline, no orders will be issued for your team.

Initial Placement

To begin the game, each clan begins with 100 troops and 5 Builders. Players can select which planet they wish to colonize. The GM will then randomly choose a colonization point on that planet for the player. Teams may spread out available troops at the start of the game, but each colony must have a minimum of 20 troops and 1 Builder.

For the first cycle, only the Build and Movement phases will take place. From the second cycle onwards, the order will be Build/Combat/Reinforcement and Movement.

Build Phase

There are a number of buildings that can be built, by each team, on each planet. Only one building can be built at a time by using an available builder. Only one of every building type can be built by each team on each planet.

Barracks - Barracks will provide 10 new troops or 1 new builder or 2 scouts per reinforcement phase. It takes two cycles for a barracks to be produced, and the choice of troop is up to you.

A scout can be sent out, one at a time, to each colonization point to discover if an enemy exists there. Scouts do not, however, reveal enemy troop numbers, only a position. A scout can be sent out during the movement phase, and takes two turns to reach its destination. A scout can only travel across the same planet, and not between planets. Once an enemy position is revealed, a scout returns to its home base to be used again. Each scout can be used a maximum of three times.

Medical centre - A medical centre provide 1 medic per reinforcement phase. In a reinforcement phase, medics can be issued to heal a certain number of troops 'lost' in combat, and can be an advantage to those teams struggling to maintain a foothold against larger enemy forces. One medic heals 20% of any troops lost in a combat phase. IE. if 10 troops are lost, 2 troops are healed. A maximum of 5 medics are allowed per colony.

Radar centre - Building a radar can provide intel on enemy troops in your area. A radar takes one cycle to power up, and lasts one turn before requiring a reboot.

Troop Transport centre - To transport your troops to a new planet, a troop transport is required. A centre takes two cycles to build, and a transport takes one cycle to be produced. Transports can take any number of troops available, plus one builder and two medics at a time, and can travel to any planet of the players choosing. It takes two phases for a transport to arrive at its intended destination.

Cloaking Device - A cloaking device pr

20. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    [image=http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9071/zerowu6.png]
    Zero approves of the new conditions for the coming battle.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Looks good to me. Any questions I had were answered by scrolling down.

22. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    If there's room, I'd love to play.:)

I'm good on most of it, but I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at the Combat Phase, just to be sure I understand it. For example, was there was a mention of charging?

23. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    If he cant fit you in then you are welcome to take my spot. I didnt realize that the game would be so complex this time around. But if he can find you a spot, then i'll stick around.

24. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Everyone's welcome to join in :) Six was only a minimum to begin the game.

Bob, trust me when I say it looks complex, but amazingly easy to play :) Give it a shot and if you ever get stuck, let me know and I'll help you out. That's what I'm here for after all :)

The game will begin in two days. Final sign-ups and any last questions can be posted here or PM'd to me.

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Can't wait. Good stuff, Kart.

If a team with an attack of 10 challenges a team with a defense rating of 8, the difference would be 2. Therefore 20 troops would be lost on the defensive team. The attacking team in this example has a defense of 5, while the defensive team has an attack rating of 8. The difference is 3, but since the attacking team is on the charge, the losses are reduced to 1/4. Therefore the attacking team only loses 7 troops instead of the usual 30 (rounded to the nearest whole number).

Just a note, but doesn't the defensive team have an attack rating of 16 and not 8?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.