main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars as a five act play (request for help)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-wan-girl, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-wan-girl

obi-wan-girl Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    I read an article somewhere-- I can't remember if it was on these boards or not-- that compared the Star Wars story arc to a Shakespearian five-act play. It pretty much explained why things happened the way they did, and why TPM seemed so out of place in the world of the other five movies (it was referred to as the prologue). I think the purpose of it was to figure out what happens in Ep III. I believe it was written right after the release of AOTC. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about and can help me find it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

(Yes, I've already tried Google. Not much help.)

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It is an interesting thought. Though Shakespeare's plays usually come to a bad end. If the Bard had written Star Wars, it would end with Revenge of the Sith.

I don't feel that The Phantom Menace is out of place. This last film really ties it together on several plot points. It seems just as much part of the saga as any other film.

If the author of this article suggested that TPM was out of place, the conclusion was probably made based on a basher bias.

-Seldon

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Shakespeare's tragedies ended badly, not all of his plays. Most of his comedies had nice, happy endings where everybody ended up with the one they loved.

Although I still agree with your RotS point, since Anakin's story is a tragedy.

4. Bluesy_Killer_Horn

Bluesy_Killer_Horn Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    For a tool to help you figure this one out, go to http://www.wikipedia.org and type in Freytags Pyramid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.